Iowa State Uniform Discussions

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Campbell is the superstitious type about uniforms -- see the all-black only coming out in marquis matchups. We wore the white/cardinal/white for the unexpected butt-kicking of Texas Tech in the "Pat Mahomes is cold game" and then again two years ago when we beat them again. Figure that look against Tech is a small tradition now.

Reactions: Cycho1

Cy37

Jan 1, 2018
Campbell is the superstitious type about uniforms -- see the all-black only coming out in marquis matchups. We wore the white/cardinal/white for the unexpected butt-kicking of Texas Tech in the "Pat Mahomes is cold game" and then again two years ago when we beat them again. Figure that look against Tech is a small tradition now.
Exactly! Am I the only one who loved the helmet stripe we wore against tech that one year?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Save it for our game versus Iowa next season!

On a more serious note, wouldn't it be cool if we broke out some gold for the first time on this Saturday's game on national tv playing a team with red/black colors?
Standard gold (yellow) numbers! Woot!

Reactions: bgprest

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Hard to believe they couldn’t have come up with the jersey with Cardinal number instead of the one they did. Maybe CMC just hates Cardinal and Gold on his uniforms
One, red is hard to view on black and gold shall never touch black per the ISU guidelines. To me the only way we do black is with white as that is generic.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
One, red is hard to view on black and gold shall never touch black per the ISU guidelines. To me the only way we do black is with white as that is generic.
You are correct. They could trim the white numbers w/ some red, instead of silver. But I think the way they did it is best for now. They can always put some red accents here and there if they wanted to, and I think at some point they will.

Last edited:

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
what about something like this around the collar on the red jerseys now, but what would be unique to ISU? some sort of swirl pattern (cyclone)?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Had a friend of mine in Georgia today tell me how sharp the all blacks looked against Oklahoma. I did not object!

Reactions: t-noah

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think the black and cardinal pants are fine without a stripe but the white pants need a little something.

For the most part with our uniform set I'm OK with the all-white with a major exception: the cardinal-cardinal-white. The helmet and jersey have gold elements along w/ the C, but having neither on the pants makes it look mismatched.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Those are absolutely sick! UNC has some great uniforms..... great colors.
the colors are really the only difference besides the small touches like the collar. it seems like a majority of teams have the same basic uniforms from Nike in their team colors.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
the colors are really the only difference besides the small touches like the collar. it seems like a majority of teams have the same basic uniforms from Nike in their team colors.
Interesting. I wonder how much leeway a particular college has with Nike in terms of uniform design? Are they all (or a majority) just within some kind of cookie-cutter design window, or can they be more creative? What are the rules?

A couple, or three come to mind, recently, that maybe fall outside a like-pattern with their uniforms: Oregon, Okla State, Baylor (under Briles). Any others?

Add: Btw, NC uniforms are Jordan Jumpman Brand (owned by Nike).

Last edited:

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Are we not doing helmet stickers this year? I haven't seen any yet. Would be the first time under Campbell we aren't doing that. Wonder why?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
what about something like this around the collar on the red jerseys now, but what would be unique to ISU? some sort of swirl pattern (cyclone)?

Dog bones obviously

STAFJHXBOATCFAD.20110902134938.jpg