New Uniforms Revealed

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
sd-sp-azfoot-sdsu-at-unlv-1008

Thanks for posting the example, saved me from looking it up.

Too "Tech"-ish for my taste.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I don't understand the infatuation with having gold helmets.
Gold is a school color.

The Cyclones did wear gold helmets for most years in the history of the program. For most folks, gold helmets make more sense than black or white.

Now, I like the black helmets and I like the white helmets. If the Cyclones keep winning games, I don't really care what color is worn.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Gold is a school color.

The Cyclones did wear gold helmets for most years in the history of the program. For most folks, gold helmets make more sense than black or white.

Now, I like the black helmets and I like the white helmets. If the Cyclones keep winning games, I don't really care what color is worn.

Golden yellow helmets in general are ugly. There's a reason you don't see too many teams wear them.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Yeah, it’d sure suck to be unique. Green Bay & LSU dont seem to mind...

You want to wear something ugly to be unique? Bold strategy. There's also a reason there isn't much golden yellow apparel sold at stores for Iowa State.

• Disagree
Reactions: SC Cy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Does someone have a version of this gold helmet (w/ standard logo):

goldhelmet.jpg

With the cardinal facemask from the stencil-logo version?

gold stencil.jpg

I couldn't find one w/ a brief search (on CF or online) -- I would like to see it. (just helmet-only -- not as part of a full combo).

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
They just said on Gameday that paint is $1500 a gallon. If we spend that much on painting a helmet, it’d better be a special game and we’d better win it.
A gallon of paint would probably paint all of the helmets more then once. I'm guessing it's got a flat black base coat. I would be shocked if its not a tricoat process though.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
A gallon of paint would probably paint all of the helmets more then once. I'm guessing it's got a flat black base coat. I would be shocked if its not a tricoat process though.
Probably some kind of intermolecular force active with that paint. Like a car's paint so it sucks to the surface of the helmet, much like it would metal. Otherwise that stuff would flake off in no time. Even the pre-catalyzed epoxy paint we use for bathrooms and metal doors comes off easy.

• Informative
Reactions: beentherebefore

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This should be their base uniform. Looks fantastic (though maybe too "Texas-esque" for that).

See, I actually like what OSU currently has - it's generally a clean uniform with a small amount of flash in the collar and the sleeve with a wide barbed wire stripe.

Although these Barry Sanders unis are classic.