New Uniforms Revealed

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Wasn't it because of the black eye on the program?

It was the black eye who brought the bright those colors here in 1983
Yes I think it was Criner who maybe did some things. Criner et al definitely did the horrible color change., IMO.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia:
"Jim Criner era (1983–1986)
Following the 1982 season Iowa State hired Jim Criner, who had won the 1980 NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship as the head coach at Boise State.[28] During Criner's tenure the Cyclones experienced mild success, however they were embroiled in controversy, with multiple players arrested on different charges as well as several NCAA allegations of wrongdoings. The allegations included coaches giving players cash as well as giving recruits rides and meals. Criner's rough tenure came to an end November 12, 1986 when the school announced his firing.[29] Criner's final career record at Iowa State was 17–25–2.[7]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_State_Cyclones_football#Earle_Bruce_era_(1973%E2%80%931978)

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't mean to wear this pic out ISU UnisGoldFrom1967-83 CircaDavidArcher.png (who is #20, btw?), but it did inspire me again to do this.. CyUni 2020 c10 G7Pant2Sh6 yrW 42- r r y BlkfaceRBW.png

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
As far as a c/c/g , I like this a little better though, closer to present design also..
CyUni 2020 c10 G7Pant3Sh3 yrW 42- r r y BlkfaceRBW WhtSksNUMf5ad11.png

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
As far as a c/c/g , I like this a little better though, closer to present design also..
View attachment 71964

I do like those a LOT! Good work.

Probably a ZERO percent chance it ever happens though. I've always liked white numbers better for some reason? I noticed in the pic of Arnaud's dad that the numbers didn't have a gold trim around them, and it looks pretty good IMO. Could you see what that might look like?

Also, your helmet could be a tinge darker cardinal, but that's being kind of picky.

I've also been wondering what our current all cardinal uniform might look like with cardinal numbers outlined in gold? Similar to the Oregon look below, but with our cardinal replacing all the black in the photo below.....

Oregon-Unis-3.jpg

Reactions: Cycho1

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Yes I think it was Criner who maybe did some things. Criner et al definitely did the horrible color change., IMO.

Have to go to about the 10:30 mark before the actual game begins ... color may be a little misleading, being under the lights, but yes, Criner uniforms were, shall we say "bright" (both the cardinal and gold — although in some shots the gold doesn't seem as "yellow" -- the cardinal actually is more extreme compared to traditonal).

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm in a uniform mood this morning.... so I wondered if there were any schools that combined a shade of red, yellow, and black in their uniforms?? The only thing that really came up is Maryland. Now, I understand a lot of people hate Maryland's uniforms, but you'll have to use some imagination here. I'm going to include some pics of Maryland below just to see what people think? But like I said, use your imagination a bit.

On this one, imagine our black helmet with our normal logo, our cardinal jersey (none of the garbage on the shoulders that Maryland has) with our school name in gold just like Maryland is below, and then a white number or gold number (your choice), and our black pants with maybe our I State logo on the side of the pants? You could also go with a cardinal helmet instead of black if you wanted too?

100116_FBvsPurdue_Johnson_mwr01_e1475638070816.0.jpg

Now on this look below.... I'm thinking basically our current all black look, with our cardinal and gold I State logo on the helmet, and then the jersey basically all black, but then the school name and number just like in the pick below basically.... with our school name in gold and number in cardinal?

ugor3662m8911.jpg

On this one, I just wanted to give an idea what our black helmet with cardinal jersey and white pants might look? I think that's why I really like Maryland's white numbers... it really looks sharp, especially to tie in with wearing the white pants.

Richmond+v+Maryland+B4CPhZGSnLex.jpg

Here's what a black, white, black could look like.....

WesBrown_2015_300.jpg

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Have to go to about the 10:30 mark before the actual game begins ... color may be a little misleading, being under the lights, but yes, Criner uniforms were, shall we say "bright" (both the cardinal and gold — although in some shots the gold doesn't seem as "yellow" -- the cardinal actually is more extreme compared to traditonal).

Gawd.... those uniforms were awful.

Criner not only cheated big time, but he ruined our whole color scheme for ages. Took us from actual "cardinal" and "gold" to McDonald's bright red and yellow. Turrible.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'm in a uniform mood this morning.... so I wondered if there were any schools that combined a shade of red, yellow, and black in their uniforms?? The only thing that really came up is Maryland. Now, I understand a lot of people hate Maryland's uniforms, but you'll have to use some imagination here. I'm going to include some pics of Maryland below just to see what people think? But like I said, use your imagination a bit.

On this one, imagine our black helmet with our normal logo, our cardinal jersey (none of the garbage on the shoulders that Maryland has) with our school name in gold just like Maryland is below, and then a white number or gold number (your choice), and our black pants with maybe our I State logo on the side of the pants? You could also go with a cardinal helmet instead of black if you wanted too?

100116_FBvsPurdue_Johnson_mwr01_e1475638070816.0.jpg

Now on this look below.... I'm thinking basically our current all black look, with our cardinal and gold I State logo on the helmet, and then the jersey basically all black, but then the school name and number just like in the pick below basically.... with our school name in gold and number in cardinal?

ugor3662m8911.jpg

On this one, I just wanted to give an idea what our black helmet with cardinal jersey and white pants might look? I think that's why I really like Maryland's white numbers... it really looks sharp, especially to tie in with wearing the white pants.

Here's what a black, white, black could look like.....

WesBrown_2015_300.jpg
CD, I see some photoshopping in your future?

You could definitely improve Maryland's look. I think they be smokin' weed out East!

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I do like those a LOT! Good work.

Probably a ZERO percent chance it ever happens though. I've always liked white numbers better for some reason? I noticed in the pic of Arnaud's dad that the numbers didn't have a gold trim around them, and it looks pretty good IMO. Could you see what that might look like? ...
CyUni 2020 c10 G7Pant2Sh6 WWW 42- r r y BlkfaceRBWWhtSksf5ad11.png CyUni 2020 c10 G7Pant2Sh5 WWW 42- r r y BlkfaceRBWWhtSksf5ad11.png CyUni 2020 c10 G7Pant3Sh3 WWW 42- r r y BlkfaceRBWWhtSksf5ad11.png CyUni 2020 c12y G7Pant3Sh3 WWW 42- y r y RdfaceRRW WhtSksf5ad11.png CyUni 2020 c12y G7Pant3Sh3 WWW 42- y r y RdfaceRRB RdSksf5ad11.png :)

Reactions: clonedude

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Who was it, Criner or Walden, who did the two helmet color thing in the same game? What was that all about? Some sort of goal or achievement of sorts IIRC, kind of like stickers are now?
I don't mind thinking outside the box, I do at times. That was definitely an out-of-the-box idea. It was not a good one to actually put into use! Somebody needed to check/advise that guy, haha.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Who was it, Criner or Walden, who did the two helmet color thing in the same game? What was that all about? Some sort of goal or achievement of sorts IIRC, kind of like stickers are now?

That was Criner. "Award Helmets" they called it, alternate to the simple sitcker, as you suggest. Unique idea, novelty. Kinda silly.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't care for Under Armour much, but the color scheme of the shoes in this pic would be awesome for ISU IMO......

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't care for Under Armour much, but the color scheme of the shoes in this pic would be awesome for ISU IMO......

These shoes are pretty cool! The red ones, ha. Not sure I'm quite in tune w/ their checkerboard black and yellow shoes though, haha!

Has ISU done any red shoes recently? Amazing little details, accessories like that can make a good difference in overall look.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron