New to ISU football

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
I am a new member to the Cyclone family and will be attending my first ISU game against INU. I am looking for advice on what time do lots open up to tailgate and what is offered from venders around the stadium. I did attend the spring game so I am familiar with the set up. Looking forward to meeting the greatest football fans in the country!
One of the best things about ISU football has been the tailgating. In all seriousness, it is because so many tailgates are welcoming to just about anyone. We have offered strangers to join our tailgates, as well as had other random Cyclone fans invite us to join them. A great experience over the years. If you do not want to pack lots of stuff for your first trip, I can say with 95% certainty you would be invited to join many tailgates in the lots just by walking by.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Welcome to the boards! Can't really help you with the questions, but if you don't mind me asking, what made you a Cyclone fan?

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
There will be tons of tailgating going on. Some will just be having a sandwich out of their trunk, while some will have huge elaborate RV setups. It is basically up to you on how much work you want to put into it. In the past there has been food available for purchase at the Alumni Center which is on the west end of the large parking lot. I think it is open to everyone. They also typically have the band and cheerleaders make an appearance. The marching band will also typically be in small groups throughout the lots. It is fun to just walk around a little and enjoy the atmosphere.

Here is some info I found on the Alumni Center.
http://www.isualum.org/events/athletics-special-events/cyclone-central-tailgates/

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Ok if you are following ISU because of MC, that's pretty cool and says what people think of him. I'm 36 and have been going to games since 98 so I have seen a few changes. Also a UNI alum but go Clones! Anyhow the paved lots you need a pass, grass is first come first serve. $20 to park I am usually straight east of the stadium. I bring a small grill, chips, beer, and juice for my 7 and 4 year old. I head to the stadium about 20 minutes before kick and usually have another beer while walking if I don't have my kids. I'm really interested to see our entrance this year and the place will be a zoo so I would get there 5 hours early. You can also leave at half and re enter on the west or east gate before the 4th qtr. It's a great atmosphere, most people are cool, WELCOME ABOARD!

Let's just say I was a big follower of Toledo the last few years which has now led me to cyclone country.

Reactions: dualthreat

Rockclone

Jul 18, 2016
There will be tons of tailgating going on. Some will just be having a sandwich out of their trunk, while some will have huge elaborate RV setups. It is basically up to you on how much work you want to put into it. In the past there has been food available for purchase at the Alumni Center which is on the west end of the large parking lot. I think it is open to everyone. They also typically have the band and cheerleaders make an appearance. The marching band will also typically be in small groups throughout the lots. It is fun to just walk around a little and enjoy the atmosphere.

Here is some info I found on the Alumni Center.
http://www.isualum.org/events/athletics-special-events/cyclone-central-tailgates/
Thanks for the info, my family and me are really looking forward to it. One more question, were would be a good place to hang out Friday night before the game. Last time we were in town we went to wallabies

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Thanks for the info, my family and me are really looking forward to it. One more question, were would be a good place to hang out Friday night before the game. Last time we were in town we went to wallabies

What type of place are you looking for? A place for dinner or more of a sports bar?

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
The INU penguins are terrifying! Intercollegiate Northern University!