New Staff. New Eyes. New Ideas.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
One thing became clear to me last weekend...

The football players are being analyzed in ways they’ve never encountered before.

Every step Bret Meyer takes is being closely watched. The way he takes snaps is being worked on. Drop backs and wait is no longer acceptable – at all. Get rid of it, run or you won’t play is the message to the ISU quarterbacks. No one player is better than fundamentals and the system.

Even Todd Blythe is being broken down. Too much unnecessary movement when he begins is route is being fixed. Running himself too far into the sideline will be no more. It doesn’t matter what the name is on the back of your jersey or how many ISU records you hold – no one, is void of fault.

I can’t help but think this couldn’t have come at a better time for 2 great athletes. Not just to benefit the ’07 team – but also for their careers at the next level. Blythe is without a doubt going to play in the NFL. Meyer looked the part until last year when he struggled – some of which is on him and some isn’t. This fall, in addition to trying to win football games and taking another stab at that elusive Big 12 North title – Meyer and Blythe will showcase their talents to NFL scouts for the last time. Just 12 games left. Heck, do something special and they’ll have 13. While they’re at it, why not play 14 games this year? Anything’s possible…

I like what the staff is doing with these two and all the guys in Cardinal & Gold. Offensive linemen learning new techniques. Linebackers being run through various pass defending drills. Kickers holding the chains during the scrimmage, just as excited and vocal as those on the field.

Most of these players have had at least 4 different coaching staffs (Jr. High, JV, HS, D-Mac). Here’s the 5th set of eyes to dissect their every move. That can’t be bad, can it? We’ve all been in the situation where we know there’s a problem yet our eyes have been looking at it for so long, even when it’s right in front of us – we can’t find it. New set of eyes locates the thorn in your side within minutes.

Not only does ISU football have a new set of eyes, these eyes have been part of conference and national titles. That doesn’t suck for anyone.

Well, unless you’re fortune didn’t bless you with a jersey that says “IOWA STATEâ€￾ on the front of it.

jparker22

May 1, 2006
Ames
Good post 22,
As I read your post I could only hear one thing rising to a crescendo in the forefront of my consciousness…

Oh, we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State!
And may her colors ever fly.
Oh, we will fight with might for Iowa State!
With the will to do or die!
Rah, Rah, Rah
Loyal sons forever true
And we will fight that battle through.
And when we hit the line we'll hit it hard,
every yard for I-S-U!

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
My question in all of this is:
Did ISU overachieve with the talent we had the past five years, or underachieve? Was our problem this past year lack of talent, coaching, bad luck or something else?

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Underachieve and its not even close. With the team we had in 05 we should have been 13-1. In 02 we should not have finished 7-7 with losses to UConn and Boise State. We should have been north champs in 04 and 05.

I love Dmac but all of the above lies squarely with him. I believe that Chizik will finish the job that Dmac never could. Chizik isn't going to play it conservative with the game on the line.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
My question in all of this is:
Did ISU overachieve with the talent we had the past five years, or underachieve? Was our problem this past year lack of talent, coaching, bad luck or something else?

Underachieved. There was no excuse for the losses in 2005, and we definitely shouldn't have lost 8 games last year.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
One thing became clear to me last weekend...

The football players are being analyzed in ways they’ve never encountered before.

Every step Bret Meyer takes is being closely watched. The way he takes snaps is being worked on. Drop backs and wait is no longer acceptable – at all. Get rid of it, run or you won’t play is the message to the ISU quarterbacks. No one player is better than fundamentals and the system.

Even Todd Blythe is being broken down. Too much unnecessary movement when he begins is route is being fixed. Running himself too far into the sideline will be no more. It doesn’t matter what the name is on the back of your jersey or how many ISU records you hold – no one, is void of fault.

I can’t help but think this couldn’t have come at a better time for 2 great athletes. Not just to benefit the ’07 team – but also for their careers at the next level. Blythe is without a doubt going to play in the NFL. Meyer looked the part until last year when he struggled – some of which is on him and some isn’t. This fall, in addition to trying to win football games and taking another stab at that elusive Big 12 North title – Meyer and Blythe will showcase their talents to NFL scouts for the last time. Just 12 games left. Heck, do something special and they’ll have 13. While they’re at it, why not play 14 games this year? Anything’s possible…

I like what the staff is doing with these two and all the guys in Cardinal & Gold. Offensive linemen learning new techniques. Linebackers being run through various pass defending drills. Kickers holding the chains during the scrimmage, just as excited and vocal as those on the field.

Most of these players have had at least 4 different coaching staffs (Jr. High, JV, HS, D-Mac). Here’s the 5th set of eyes to dissect their every move. That can’t be bad, can it? We’ve all been in the situation where we know there’s a problem yet our eyes have been looking at it for so long, even when it’s right in front of us – we can’t find it. New set of eyes locates the thorn in your side within minutes.

Not only does ISU football have a new set of eyes, these eyes have been part of conference and national titles. That doesn’t suck for anyone.

Well, unless you’re fortune didn’t bless you with a jersey that says “IOWA STATE†on the front of it.

Hallelujah!! This is called "coaching them up"! It's done at many fine programs around the country. I'm glad we are the benefactors of this at ISU now!

ISUFan22, you certainly knew when you posted this that this thread might end up being a "bash Mac thread"...didn't you?

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
I will say that when you have a details oriented staff in place, you see premium placed on fundementals, and add in a good conditioning program, all of those horrible losses that you could see coming will not happen.

How many people saw the games from 2005 coming??? Most of us on here knew that the coach would try to run the clock out to avoid having to make tough decisions. Well, we may blow some leads in the next couple of years, but it won't be because the coach is afraid, Gene will be decisive. He has worked too hard for this moment, and he is prepared.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It's all about looking forward for me. Keeping the eye on the prize...

Improvement.
Wins.
Titles.
Respect.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron