New Scoreboard has Video

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I already have chills. I might wet my pants a little the first time it goes off.

If that is the case, may I recommend these?

pull_up.jpg
(they come in adult sizes, I think?)

Transient

Apr 17, 2008
yes, I drove by on university on wed. morning and they were running highlights of some game. I was VERY intense on that large of screen. Couldn't hear any sound though.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Its not I looked at it today from the South endzone and its amazing. Its huge and beautiful. Internet pics dont do it justice.

And you didn't take a picture for us out of staters? What a jerk...

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Same phone number as you had in Tempe? If so I'll try and pic message you tomorrow.

Yup. That'd be awesome. I saw some of the support structure when I was there in May but they've made a ton of progress since then... an update with a better representation would be awesome!

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
I stopped by the south parking lots today to check this thing out when they had the daktronics ads running on it. The sound system still isn't hooked up but i'm pretty sure the speakers have been set so I'll be keeping my windows down when I drive down University Blvd. For the out-of-staters here, this thing looks awesome and I hope it sounds as good as it looks. You can literally watch the football game from the south lots so I hope that doesn't affect attendance any as you can see it clearly from outside the gates. It helps close up the stadium and the north endzone and JTS looks bigger all the way around University Blvd. Pollard and Rhoads deserve some kudos for making this a priority. JTS is getting very very close to looking like a legitimate BCS stadium that looks intimidating from the outside and inside. I think the atmosphere is going to be as legit as any though (so long as we fill it). I'll try to take some pics and post them tomorrow from outside the stadium. I am worried I am going to get in an accident cause I have trouble taking my eyes off it!

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I hope this picture is not indicative of the actual screen brightness, that looks pretty dim from this angle and on a cloudy day no less. But I guess even if this is the quality of the picture it's still a HUGE upgrade and I'm still 100% stoked, just nitpicking the finer points.

It is made of Light Emitting Diodes which are very bright. You are watching it through a webcam. Webcam video sucks.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I hope this picture is not indicative of the actual screen brightness, that looks pretty dim from this angle and on a cloudy day no less. But I guess even if this is the quality of the picture it's still a HUGE upgrade and I'm still 100% stoked, just nitpicking the finer points.

...and it's also being shot using a low quality camera, broadcast over the internet. Quit yer *******

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I stopped by the south parking lots today to check this thing out when they had the daktronics ads running on it. The sound system still isn't hooked up but i'm pretty sure the speakers have been set so I'll be keeping my windows down when I drive down University Blvd. For the out-of-staters here, this thing looks awesome and I hope it sounds as good as it looks. You can literally watch the football game from the south lots so I hope that doesn't affect attendance any as you can see it clearly from outside the gates. It helps close up the stadium and the north endzone and JTS looks bigger all the way around University Blvd. Pollard and Rhoads deserve some kudos for making this a priority. JTS is getting very very close to looking like a legitimate BCS stadium that looks intimidating from the outside and inside. I think the atmosphere is going to be as legit as any though (so long as we fill it). I'll try to take some pics and post them tomorrow from outside the stadium. I am worried I am going to get in an accident cause I have trouble taking my eyes off it!

I don't know that you can watch the video from the south lots. You can from the ROAD, but the grass (student) lots are down in elevation quite a bit from what you see sitting in a car on Univ. Blvd. The south paved lots have the old scoreboard plus the south stands and a bunch of trees in the way. I would guess that there aren't many actual parking spots where you can see the entire video board unobstructed..if any.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It is made of Light Emitting Diodes which are very bright. You are watching it through a webcam. Webcam video sucks.

The other thing is that Daktronics does this sort of thing all the time. It's their business. Gotta imagine that they know exactly how bright these screens need to be based on their location and angle.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I don't know that you can watch the video from the south lots. You can from the ROAD, but the grass (student) lots are down in elevation quite a bit from what you see sitting in a car on Univ. Blvd. The south paved lots have the old scoreboard plus the south stands and a bunch of trees in the way. I would guess that there aren't many actual parking spots where you can see the entire video board unobstructed..if any.

Right up next to the entrance to the student lot is about it. It's still raised enough, but not behind the upper deck and you can see over the tree tops.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
The other thing is that Daktronics does this sort of thing all the time. It's their business. Gotta imagine that they know exactly how bright these screens need to be based on their location and angle.

I think that people forget this way too easily. The board we are getting is not just huge, but it the board itself is the best there is along with the sound system. We didn't peruse through a catalog of low, medium, and high quality boards/sound systems and pick the one that fit our budget. We took the best, state of the art, cutting edge board/sound system and decided how big we could make it for our budget. What we are getting is of the same or better quality than anyone else in the nations. Even the 13 boards or whatever that are bigger than ours.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I've driven by a couple times since they started testing, then walked into the stadium today to check things out up close. I will say that the screen tests do appear to be very dull, even on an overcast day. I assume that this is all part of the setup and calibration process, and I'm hoping it's much brighter when it's fully operational.

Another comment: Someone made the statement a few days ago that the stadium is beginning to take on the appearance of a house that has been added onto time after time. I hate to say it, but I tend to agree. Each and every improvement and modification has been much-needed, but there isn't enough consistency in design, materials, colors, etc. (And maybe being married to an architect has worn off on me.) You have bare concrete, painted concrete, brown stone, grey stone, black painted steel, light and dark grey painted steel, and a multitude other facade materials and colors.

A minor issue, but it's unfortunate that the architects involved in each of these projects couldn't come up with a more unified design. And I hope that the new football complex blends into it's surroundings a little better. Perhaps the south endzone project will tie things together someday and put a nice bow on all of the football facilities.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I really don't think we need to worry about it not being bright enough. As one has said already, it is an LED board. That is the best video lighting that is available. You could even see the old board very well. I don't know if anyone besides me remembers the video board before the one we have now in the south end zone. If it was sunny, you couldn't see the video at all!