New Scoreboard has Video

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
From today over lunch. Photos and video were taken with a phone, so crappy quality. I had a little too much coffee this morning, so the first half of the video is a little shaky.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_yh-kGfrgE&feature=channel_video_title"]‪Video board july 29‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Reactions: Goothrey

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
I've driven by a couple times since they started testing, then walked into the stadium today to check things out up close. I will say that the screen tests do appear to be very dull, even on an overcast day. I assume that this is all part of the setup and calibration process, and I'm hoping it's much brighter when it's fully operational.

Another comment: Someone made the statement a few days ago that the stadium is beginning to take on the appearance of a house that has been added onto time after time. I hate to say it, but I tend to agree. Each and every improvement and modification has been much-needed, but there isn't enough consistency in design, materials, colors, etc. (And maybe being married to an architect has worn off on me.) You have bare concrete, painted concrete, brown stone, grey stone, black painted steel, light and dark grey painted steel, and a multitude other facade materials and colors.

A minor issue, but it's unfortunate that the architects involved in each of these projects couldn't come up with a more unified design. And I hope that the new football complex blends into it's surroundings a little better. Perhaps the south endzone project will tie things together someday and put a nice bow on all of the football facilities.

I agree with you, and it is mildy frustrating that a school with a renowned College of Design has a football stadium that has been updated piecemeal over the years (same goes for uniform/color issues over the years with ISU having a respected Apparel, Merchandising and Design program) but then again, a lot of stadiums have this condition, including kNU's Memorial Stadium... how many stadiums have end zone stands that extend higher than the main stands? I guess if you build the stands high enough you won't have to see dumpy lincoln that surrounds the stadium, a sort of sanctuary for all the cooter rays in that god forsaken hell hole.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Next home game is Iowa? What happened to the UNI game?

I think its a statement that UNI wont be much of a game.

Seriously though, as far as in the stadium graphics goes, theres never going to be a need for a 'next home game, UNI' graphic for this year, so one probably wasnt created.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I stand corrected then. You CAN see it from the south lots. I doubt that a ton of people are going to be sitting in S3 and S4 watching the game on the video board, though. Those are donor lots...and decent sized donors at that. I still don't think that you can see this board well from much of the student lot, and those would be the people that I could see scoreboard watching from their tailgate spot.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
It is made of Light Emitting Diodes which are very bright. You are watching it through a webcam. Webcam video sucks.

Wow, did you get a degree in Capitalization or was it a double major with Bolding?
Just because it's LEDs doesn't mean ****, LEDs come in a wide variety capable of different brightness levels and capable of supporting higher amperage - which allows brighter diodes.

...and it's also being shot using a low quality camera, broadcast over the internet. Quit yer *******

I said, and I quote, "I'm still 100% stoked, just nit picking" I realize it's a webcam and that's why I said, "I hope this isn't indicative [of the final quality]".

I think that people forget this way too easily. The board we are getting is not just huge, but it the board itself is the best there is along with the sound system. We didn't peruse through a catalog of low, medium, and high quality boards/sound systems and pick the one that fit our budget. We took the best, state of the art, cutting edge board/sound system and decided how big we could make it for our budget. What we are getting is of the same or better quality than anyone else in the nations. Even the 13 boards or whatever that are bigger than ours.

Actually, I think this is pretty much what we did and your whole statement is basically not true. There are brigher LEDs than what are being used in our screen, and daktronics even sells them. We bought the DVX-500-15HD while we could have bought the DVX-500-20HD which uses a higher quality Nichia LEDs. And the sound system is nowhere close the best sound system. If it were, we'd have a full stadium integrated system with speakers spread out throughout the stands properly time delayed to keep audio in sync.

Look, I'm not trying to spoil the party, we are going to have a very nice scoreboard for the first time in the stadium's history; and it will be one of the top 30 or 40 in the country. But it won't be anywhere near the best scoreboard, and it won't even be in the top 20. Between the size and quality of screen and that it is facing south (which only 1 other of the 15 largest college scoreboard do in the country currently is) it is not going to be anything beyond a very nice scoreboard. People just need to realize we are only just keeping up with the Joneses right now and while we are getting a much needed improvement to the stadium, we're not adding something that is significantly better than what most other schools already have.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbbone
C

CyBer

Should we be worrying about the scoreboard or the team that is going on to the field?

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Should we be worrying about the scoreboard or the team that is going on to the field?

Seeing as we're fans and go for entertainment I'd think we should worry about whatever the Blamo we want.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Rumor going around that there is a tornado/air raid siren hooked up inside so when we come on the field as the 'cyclones' we can have a tornado warning; using it instead of the sound system so they dont blow the speakers. Any truth to this?

Apparently there must be some truth to this. This is a quote from rebecacy from another thread:

JP has purchased a new WWII vintage air-raid siren to play thru the sound system. Fact!!

I really don't know much about rebecacy so I have no idea to the validity of that statement. It does appear though that he has some kind of connection to the athletic department.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Apparently there must be some truth to this. This is a quote from rebecacy from another thread:

JP has purchased a new WWII vintage air-raid siren to play thru the sound system. Fact!!

I really don't know much about rebecacy so I have no idea to the validity of that statement. It does appear though that he has some kind of connection to the athletic department.

I'm not saying he is wrong, but he also was insistent the FTF was going to be built on the WEST side of the IPF. Repeated it many times up until the day the plans were released.
His information is sketchy at best IMO.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Today was my turn to finally get to see this scoreboard in person. This thing is amazing!
I've been watching the webcam photos and I agree with some of the others, it definitely does NOT do it justice. It takes The Jack to a whole other dimension

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
I'm not saying he is wrong, but he also was insistent the FTF was going to be built on the WEST side of the IPF. Repeated it many times up until the day the plans were released.
His information is sketchy at best IMO.

ok, wasn't sure how credible he was but I thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks for the heads-up.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
WW11 air raid siren? Screw that...we need to get one of these:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYeql9xE19k"]‪Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T in ATTACK mode‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

1950's Thunderbolt! :yes:

Reactions: Rhoadhoused