New Riot Buster?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Sooo let's go riot, tear **** up, and get people hurt?
ff92wz.gif

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I would love to see a source for this. I have never heard of this "Sheriff Charge" you speak of.

Story County has the highest sheriff per capita charge in the state of Iowa, meaning, if your small town doesn't have its own police department you are required by state law to pay a per capita charge to the sheriff for law enforcement. The town has no say in what the sheriff charges, and when your town has meetings with the sheriff about your concerns because his per capita is eating up a majority of your town budget, he responds by sending a letter to you and your insurance company telling you if you do not pay his fee officers will only respond to life threatening situations.

The Board of Supervisors in Story County are spineless when it comes to Little Big Man Sheriff. The last year I was on city council (I just got off, Thank God) they once again gave him a budget increase, the per capita went up again, and the county was too broke to buy gravel for secondary road maintenance.

Thus I struggle with the sheriff's need for anything that is above what he already has.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
I would love to see a source for this. I have never heard of this "Sheriff Charge" you speak of.

http://thegazette.com/2012/09/16/small-iowa-towns-turn-to-sheriff-for-protection/

from the article:
More than twice Robins’ size, Grimes has repeatedly rejected plans to start its own department. The largest city in the state lacking its own police force, the Des Moines suburb of 8,246 will pay Polk County $622,672 for coverage this year, said City Administrator Kelley Brown.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
That is contracted law enforcement. Cities don't have to contract with the Sheriff but some do for added patrols or other services. The sheriff still has to provide law enforcement services to any city in the county. I have never heard of a "Sheriff Charge" and doubt it exists.

http://thegazette.com/2012/09/16/small-iowa-towns-turn-to-sheriff-for-protection/

from the article:
More than twice Robins’ size, Grimes has repeatedly rejected plans to start its own department. The largest city in the state lacking its own police force, the Des Moines suburb of 8,246 will pay Polk County $622,672 for coverage this year, said City Administrator Kelley Brown.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
That is contracted law enforcement. Cities don't have to contract with the Sheriff but some do for added patrols or other services. The sheriff still has to provide law enforcement services to any city in the county. I have never heard of a "Sheriff Charge" and doubt it exists.

again, from the article:
State law requires incorporated communities to provide law enforcement either through their own police department or a contract with another agency — the county sheriff’s office, in most cases.

basically cities have to provide some kind of police service, either through their own dept. or through a contract (probably the "sheriff fee" bugs was talking about

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
So we are talking about a negotiated contract between a city and a county. That's a little different than a "sheriff charge." I wonder how many contracts Story County has. Slater maybe? Huxley has their own department I think.

again, from the article:
State law requires incorporated communities to provide law enforcement either through their own police department or a contract with another agency — the county sheriff’s office, in most cases.

basically cities have to provide some kind of police service, either through their own dept. or through a contract (probably the "sheriff fee" bugs was talking about

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Regarding contracts for law enforcement, it actually makes sense to me. If the cost starts to outweigh the cost of providing for their own department, then they can make that decision (providing that the cost is a reasonable representation of what the additional costs are to the Sheriff's department).

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
So we are talking about a negotiated contract between a city and a county. That's a little different than a "sheriff charge." I wonder how many contracts Story County has. Slater maybe? Huxley has their own department I think.

I would guess most of these towns don't have their on PDs.

story2.gif

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
But I think they have to be over 2,500 to be "incorporated" Most of these towns would be served by the Sheriff without contract.

I would guess most of these towns don't have their on PDs.

story2.gif

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I know this thread has gone down a different road.

I'd just like to come back and humbly rescind my previous objections after watching some of the videos of last nights idiocy.

#EmbarrassedISUAlum.

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
Is Doc a prophet or something, he speaketh and it happeneth. How about you start a thread over a BCS Championship or NCAA Championship and lets see where we get

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
No one is ever protecting themselves from the police. If they are shooting at the police, they are seriously sick and need help. And if they are putting the police in danger, they deserve whatever comes to them because the police are there for the protection of us citizens.

No one is ever? Really? No police, anywhere, are actually criminals hiding behind badges? Wow. Please get out more. I would happily comply with any lawful warrant, but to assume that all police are always absolutely in the right?

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
And back on topic, for the record I do think this truck/tank/whatever is overkill and unnecessary.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
No one is ever? Really? No police, anywhere, are actually criminals hiding behind badges? Wow. Please get out more. I would happily comply with any lawful warrant, but to assume that all police are always absolutely in the right?

Police are in the right 99.9% of the time. It's the 0.1% of the time they are in the wrong that everyone hears about. When's the last time an Iowa officer was in the wrong?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Police are in the right 99.9% of the time. It's the 0.1% of the time they are in the wrong that everyone hears about. When's the last time an Iowa officer was in the wrong?

99.9% ? Where are you drawing that figure from? I don't want my comments misconstrued. I think the world of good, honest police. They do a very difficult and thankless job under stressful conditions and we are lucky to have such people filling such roles. Especially in Iowa. Anecdotally, I would say Iowa seems to have very good law enforcement. I think the State Patrol guys are top notch.

My only problem is how certain jurisdictions are turning police into revenuers, or cash cows. That is wrong on so many levels. I also do not understand the quick trigger on dogs nationwide, no matter size, breed, or threat level. The hostile reaction to filming in public is also troubling. Those three things will eventually do great harm to the profession and make a tough job even harder.

Having said all that, let's remember to praise the brave men and women that honor their oaths and do their best to respect liberties while also maintaining public safety.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County

I just rummaged around in my paperwork pile from being on city council for four years. I found the old sheriff contract, but unfortunately it dies not reference the Iowa Code chapter I'm looking for, and it appear I already tossed the letter from Fitzgerald that provided Code references.

In short - here were our choices as a small town -
1) Form our own police department that covers 24/7. <<Too expensive for a small town.>>
2) Contract with sheriff at his per capita charge, which I think is $50 or $52/person, and based on most recent census numbers. [NOTE - this is how Story County sets in up. In other counties they may choose to use an hourly rate for service, etc.] As per the letter the Sheriff Fitzgerald sent to us, and our insurance provider when we balked at his price and built-in increase of 4 or 5%/year, he said they were answer life threatening calls in our town if we did not sign the contract but not police reports would be filed. The aftershocks of this is that the city may no be secure insurance coverage NOR residents as a result.
-> The irony here, is that if your property is outside the city limits, the sheriff will continue to provide full service to you, and you are not subject to the per capita like your neighbor is inside the city limits.

So true, Iowa municipalities do not have to contract with the sheriff. They can form their own police department.

This was major topic of discussion all four years I was on council. As was what I call the library fiasco. State law also requires municipalities to provide a library. Our town of 300-ish shut the door on our tiny library. When the Ames library got wind of it they sent a letter saying that unless we struck an agreement with a neighboring municipality to provide library services to our resident, our residents were banned form using the Ames library. Ultimately we signed an agreement and cut an annual check to a neighboring town for joint services. I think it's BS but what do you do?

People live in small towns because the cost of living is lower. But after my council experience, I was so tired of being hamstrung by people who want the lower cost of living but expect the same services as they'd receive in a larger municipality AND trying to make our small stream of tax revenue do everything from fix streets to meet the EPA/DNR's sewage treatment standards, remove snow, maintain a city park, provide safe drinking water, etc., etc. AND meet what seems like an inordinate amount of state and federal requirements that you don't think of, like libraries and whatnot.