Jan 3, 2011
Ames

Coaching Experience
2015-17 – Duquesne – Co-Defensive Coordinator, Linebackers
2014 – Duquesne – Linebackers
2013 – Western Michigan – Director of Player Personnel
2010-12 – Indiana (PA) – Cornerbacks, Assistant Recruiting
2009 – Plymouth State (N.H.) – Wide Receivers, Special Teams

I like his experience as a coordinator, an assistant coach both at FCS level, work on scouting/recruiting side at an FBS level at WMU, and also experience in coaching secondary and receivers/special teams.

Reactions: TheJackWePack5

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
What exactly does a quality control guy do?
I think they coach indirectly by advising the position coaches, and probably also do some scouting. Pretty much an extra coach who has a lot of restrictions on player and recruit interaction.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
Here's an article that kind of describes the quality control role. It seems like they're assistant assistant coaches. Myers was quality control on offense and functioned as the assistant offensive line coach, and Houston was quality control associate and functioned as the special teams coordinator. Basically, it's an additional layer in the coaching hierarchy between assistant coach/analysts and GAs.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._quality_control_coach_rutgers_assistant.html

The NCAA has a strict limit on the number of on-field coaches. In addition to the head coach, teams are allowed nine full-time assistants and four graduate assistants. But there are no limitations to the size of the off-field support staff.
You're an analyst. You're a guy that checks for potential landmines for things that might go wrong. You help get stuff where it needs to get. (Ohio State coach) Urban (Meyer) said, 'I'd like to try this,' so we did and it worked out great. Some places have like 8, 10, 12 guys that do this. Its goal is to assist the full-time coaches and allow them to have more time to be creative in their game-planning and it also allows them to spend more time with the players."

I assume he was brought in as the extra defensive staff they were looking to add and also serve as the assistant LB coach with Tyson Veidt taking on the AHC role. My guess is that they're possibly grooming Veidt to be the next DC for if/when Jon Heacock gets courted away, and they have someone in position to be the next guy in as the assistant.

• Informative
Reactions: CTTB78

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames

Coaching Experience
2018- Iowa State – Quality Control
2017 Indiana – Graduate Assistant
2015-16 Tiffin (OH) – Offensive Line
2014 – Toledo – Graduate Assistant
2012-13- Findlay (OH) – Tight Ends

GA experience at FBS level including a P5 school, former 4-year starter (49 consecutive games) at Right Tackle under Campbell at Toledo, and has OL coaching experience at a D-II level.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames

Coaching Experience
2016-17 – Oklahoma State – Graduate Assistant
2014-15 – Cleveland Browns – Scouting Assistant
2013 – Oklahoma State – Quality Control
2012 – Yale - Intern
2011 - Mount Ida (MA) – Tight Ends, Fullbacks

Led the Special Teams at Oklahoma State, which was one of the best in the nation.