New proposed Ames convention center...

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Think Ag trade shows and conventions. That would be one group that would likely find Ames and the proximity to a major Ag university very attractive as a venue.

For instance a quick google search reveals the National Farm Machinery Show was held in Louisville, KY last February (I know Ames is no Louisville, stay focused). The convention center it was held at had an exhibition space of 146,000 sq ft (18k sq ft more than the proposed center in Ames) and brought in an estimated 305K visitors.

Now no one is going to argue that Ames can handle that many visitors but that gives a snapshot of the impact this type of facility can have. Ames would likely draw a huge commuter population from the state and some regional and national crowds to overnight in hotels for the conference.

Not enough strip clubs in Ames for that.

They did hold the Ag Retail convention in Hilton one year and it was ok, just not very big. The other problem is you have to plan around Basketball games and other events. I know when the retail convention was in Hilton the Basketball teams were not too happy about it.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
ISU foundation bought it a few years back but it's managed by a hospitality company in Des Moines.

hummm....OK, maybe this clears some questions up. It seems so many hotels these days (unless building on cheap land by the interstate) look for some type of subsidy to help assist in the development. If a hotel is built here, it will compete with the Gateway so I'm guessing there is ZERO chance that anyone (county, city, university, etc) will subsidize a project that would compete directly with the ISU Foundation owned Gateway Hotel. Not that they'd be against it but rather, it will have to completely be built on its own and thus makes it more difficult to finance. Again...all speculation here.

Last edited:

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
But Ames is not a decent sized city, it is a small city. Students are not going to be attending conventions, so a town of 25k cannot support a convention center. Other than ISU, there are no employers in Ames that would need facilities this size.

Ames is not 25k and there is plenty of ag business that could draw regional conventions. Look don't build and Ames stays the same. Build it and other things follow along with increased dollars spent locally. It's pretty easy really.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Ames is not 25k and there is plenty of ag business that could draw regional conventions. Look don't build and Ames stays the same. Build it and other things follow along with increased dollars spent locally. It's pretty easy really.

Problem with Ames is there is very little for people to do when they are done with the convention. Half the convention is the show the other half is companies entertaining their customers. Even Des Moines has so much more to do that Ames: Jordan Creek area, shopping, bars aimed at non college kids, many nice restaurants, and other things.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I think you've got the crux of it. That's where a lot of the sentiment in this thread is coming from. No data to back up their dissent, just a general opposition to anything that might take a few bucks out of their pockets, regardless of it's purpose.

Personally, I'd like to see some numbers before I form an opinion. What kind of opportunities would this open up?

As a non resident of Ames that purchased convention space. I say vote for it. I probably won't use it (depending on price and hotel space) but it will certainly drive down the pricing.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Problem with Ames is there is very little for people to do when they are done with the convention. Half the convention is the show the other half is companies entertaining their customers. Even Des Moines has so much more to do that Ames: Jordan Creek area, shopping, bars aimed at non college kids, many nice restaurants, and other things.

I don't disagree but my feeling is this would be a healthy start to get some stuff going.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
There likewise has been no show of any numbers supporting it. When the library project came along the data that supported what size library was needed to serve a community the size of Ames included the numbers of the student body, while neglecting to acknowledge the existence of Parks library entirely. The aquatic center was needed and a great idea and they had pro forma revenue streams showing how it would pay if I recall correctly.

The reason people are coming out so immediately in this thread against the center is based on a couple items including how they don't understand how there is demand for conventions larger than what the existing facilities such as Scheman and Hilton can and do already service, Lack of major hotel to compete as many conventions are located in centers actually connected to a hotel, and finally the lack of a major airport to allow arrival traffic. The only reason to locate a convention in Ames instead of Des Moines would have to be the University. The University has a substantial facility in Shemann and no case has been made by anyone for why it is inadequate. It would be like the University announcing they wanted to build a new basketball arena so they could attract bigger events. What events are being missed out on that need a bigger facility. The go to answer when you already have a facility for the same purpose should be no, until the case is made for why it is proven otherwise. At least that's how I tend to look at it. I agree with you that data needs to be provided to make an informed decision, but to me the burden of proof would heavily be on showing it's needed as there is already a venue for conventions.

This isn't entirely true. Ames has the advantage of being more central for an Iowa Statewide conference and less congestion than Des Moines. If Ames had better hotel and competitive pricing it would get way more statewide conferences. It used to get more but slowly they have moved to hyvee hall and Prairie meadows. ISU should consider allowing a contracted hotel to be built with it. He'll would be great for tailgating too. Of course am sure the local conventions and visitors bureau which is controlled by current hotel in treats would kill that idea. Efficient hotel shuttling can work too but reality is most folks coming in to Ames for a coference are from iowa and drove. Part of the issue is that the hotels down by the interstate are pretty crappy too. The guy who owns haunted forest should build a big hotel if they do. They could make a killing.

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Seems backward to me.

If a city has enough hotel spaces, restaurants, services, etc, building a convention center can add value by allowing them to more fully utilize those things. That isn't all that tough to sell.

OTOH, a city that puts up a convention center without the commercial assets already in place using "build it and they will come" as a justification is asking for trouble.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
This isn't entirely true. Ames has the advantage of being more central for an Iowa Statewide conference and less congestion than Des Moines. If Ames had better hotel and competitive pricing it would get way more statewide conferences. It used to get more but slowly they have moved to hyvee hall and Prairie meadows. ISU should consider allowing a contracted hotel to be built with it. He'll would be great for tailgating too.

Des Moines - congested? Really?? Additionally, the "more centralized" argument loses some luster when you consider DM is on the axis of I35/I80.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I don't disagree but my feeling is this would be a healthy start to get some stuff going.

I agree with this. I know folks in Manhattan KS and it's amazing all the new stuff they are getting and a lot of it was sparked by planned development.

I know that there was the "mall debate" if you will years ago and then the economic downturn....but i'm still amazed North Grand hasn't sprung up more stores the last couple years. From when the mall downturned (maybe 7-8 years ago?) to now, ISU's enrollment has grown by about 5-6k, probably will add about 2k more. That is A LOT of college aged people who, you would think, would shop there. Seems too often this town just grumbles and says "we'll go to Ankeny" or something like that.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
I googled Iowa Agriculture conferences and there were about 5 different ones on the first page. Those could all potentially come to Ames. USDA could use it. University sponsored engineering type stuff. There are a myriad of ways to positively build and use a convention center in a city with a major research institution. And look, they don't have to be the International Auto Show to be successful and positively impact Ames. Small to medium conferences would help to fill hotels and drive business.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Des Moines - congested? Really?? Additionally, the "more centralized" argument loses some luster when you consider DM is on the axis of I35/I80.

Des Moines is more congested. When we do a conference downtown the complaints we get are traffic coming in the morning of. Hyvee hall is too confusing with the layout of space and parking. They like that there is more to do here. When we did Ames they liked the ease of getting in and out, parking, closer for about 60% (Des Moines, southern iowa, se, sw, the exception. Marshalltown is actually the population center point of Iowa (where half the state lives north half south and half east and half west). Ames is better than Des Moines (slightly). We see equivalent numbers at both locales but many more non Des Moines participants when in Ames (conversely dsm crowd much less likely to go to ames and these factors cross each other out in in terms of raw attendance). Any other locale in Iowa isn't even close and we lose folks. Ames and DSM are easily the best two viable options for statewide conferences and I would likely alternate if Scheman wasn't so pricey. If this doesn't raise prices and attracts better hotel options we would start going to Ames again at least every other year. I know many other statewide venues conferences would too. All the other cities are viable options for regional (or even Midwest regional) Ames is not because of airport where dubuque, CB, CR, DSM, QC are. Really they are much more targeting Iowa events. They compete with Hyvee, state fair grounds, Prairie meadows and the dsm area hotel space (there are a ton of hotel based convention space that is good for smaller venues). Ames is not really competing with any other city except Des Moines imo. They can only succeed by chipping into DSM. Granted DSM is doing better at attracting the regional venues.

While I generally see the idea as proposed as incomplete for Ames. If they do nothing DSM will eventually completly take Ames out of the convention business much as they have done with concerts. In other words, go big (hotel) or go home.

Last edited:

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
The Iowa Games could positively use it for athletes. I sat at Hunziker fields for hours last summer in sweltering heat waiting for one of my kids to play soccer - vowing never to return. What if there was a place to go???

It should be noted that part of that time was spent at the joke that is North Grand Mall.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Des Moines is more congested. When we do a conference downtown the complaints we get are traffic coming in the morning of. Hyvee hall is too confusing with the layout of space and parking. They like that there is more to do here. When we did Ames they liked the ease of getting in and out, parking, closer for about 60% (Des Moines, southern iowa, se, sw, the exception. Marshalltown is actually the population center point of Iowa (where half the state lives north half south and half east and half west). Ames is better than Des Moines (slightly). We see equivalent numbers at both locales but many more bon Des Moines participants when in Ames (conversely dsm crowd much less likely to go to ames and these factors cross each other out in in terms of raw attendance). Any other locale in Iowa isn't even close we lose folks. Ames and DSM are easily the best two viable options for statewide conferences and I would likely alternate if Scheman wasn't so pricey. If this doesn't raise prices and attracts better hotel options we would start going to Ames again at least every other year. I know many other statewide venues conferences would too.

Is there enough convention business for both cities or will they just be cannibalizing each other and thus neither will do particurly well. I don't know, just asking. This sounds like your area of expertise.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Do they have all the Iowa State Center courtyard renovations complete? I don't tailgate up there and I haven't been to a basketblal game this year, so I haven't seen it in awhile.

Would the convention center have any effect on any of those renovations?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Do they have all the Iowa State Center courtyard renovations complete? I don't tailgate up there and I haven't been to a basketblal game this year, so I haven't seen it in awhile.

Would the convention center have any effect on any of those renovations?

The Convention Center would be on the Lincoln Way side of Scheman. It seems like the "courtyard" area is more of a courtyard now that they have torn out some of the overhead walkways.

It does seem a little odd to have the Convention Center sticking out almost to Lincoln Way, as well as having the loading dock accessed by a service road on the north side of Fisher. The area will be more functional, but loose some of its aesthetics.