New proposed Ames convention center...

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I'm leaning that way, too.

Plus, I looked at the numbers presented by the Ames Convention Center presentation and I think they're being creative with the numbers. http://amesgatheringplace.com/Portals/0/Ames_Convention_Center_Presentation.pdf

They claim 457 events will attend annually. 457! More than 1 a day, with an economic impact of $29 million in local spending. Scheman already hosts events so I doubt this number is accurate. I doubt an additional 457 events will come. Perhaps they mean 457 events total, but how many of those events are already held at Scheman each year? 100, 200, 400? It's not specified. So, I can only assume that the gross local spending they are calculating is inaccurate (or at least assumes 457 events total) without further clarification.

Also, it claims to add 500 jobs. Really? 500 more jobs? Again, the same problem cited above is present with the numbers pertaining to 500 jobs. I imagine Scheman already provides jobs (100, 200? - I don't know), so the real net gain is probably much lower. How many of these jobs are student / part-time jobs and how many are full-time?

Hopefully much more information will come to light over the next few weeks. I think Ames has done a great job passing the bond issue for the reconstruction of the Library (which occurred before I returned to Ames), and reconstructing the elementary schools, but this isn't as much of a public good as is education, healthcare or other related needs. My mind isn't made up yet, but I'm leaning toward "no."

There are upcoming public meetings on this project if you want to learn more or ask questions:

[h=3]Proposed expansion at Iowa State Center is topic of public meetings[/h] January 10, 2014
The Ames Convention & Visitors Bureau will host three public meetings on Thursday, Jan. 16 (10 a.m., 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., all in 4 Scheman Building), to give Ames voters a chance to learn more about the March 4 bond referendum for the proposed renovation and expansion of the Scheman Building as a convention center. The estimated $38 million project would renovate Scheman and attach a new building to its north side. The cost would be split evenly between the university and the city, with -- if voters approve it -- the city's portion funded by a bond sale.

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
I'm leaning that way, too.

Plus, I looked at the numbers presented by the Ames Convention Center presentation and I think they're being creative with the numbers. http://amesgatheringplace.com/Portals/0/Ames_Convention_Center_Presentation.pdf

They claim 457 events will attend annually. 457! More than 1 a day, with an economic impact of $29 million in local spending. Scheman already hosts events so I doubt this number is accurate. I doubt an additional 457 events will come. Perhaps they mean 457 events total, but how many of those events are already held at Scheman each year? 100, 200, 400? It's not specified. So, I can only assume that the gross local spending they are calculating is inaccurate (or at least assumes 457 events total) without further clarification.

Also, it claims to add 500 jobs. Really? 500 more jobs? Again, the same problem cited above is present with the numbers pertaining to 500 jobs. I imagine Scheman already provides jobs (100, 200? - I don't know), so the real net gain is probably much lower. How many of these jobs are student / part-time jobs and how many are full-time?

Hopefully much more information will come to light over the next few weeks. I think Ames has done a great job passing the bond issue for the reconstruction of the Library (which occurred before I returned to Ames), and reconstructing the elementary schools, but this isn't as much of a public good as is education, healthcare or other related needs. My mind isn't made up yet, but I'm leaning toward "no."

I would encourage you and others posting here today to attend on January 16th at Scheman the open forums (10am, 2pm, 7pm) and you would probably get a lot of your answers from there.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I live in Ames and am really impressed that ISU is putting up half the money for this. I look forward to the meetings on it. Some of the issues seem overstated, such as the airport and hotel. Being in the center of KC, Omaha, Minneapolis, and the Quad Cities with Des Moines nearby is pretty good location for big drive-in events, like they are already getting. Plus, there are a lot more hotel rooms in Ames than most folks think.

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Seems like many of you don't have an idea at the number and size of conventions a research University the size of ISU can bring in. As someone that travels around to conventions in many college towns, I can tell you that Ames is hurting for space like this and is likely missing out on events it could bring in or events that are growing too big for the current facilities. Bringing in more visitors to the city of course will help the restaurant and retail industry as well as others.

I don't doubt that there are several entities in this city that will benefit from a new/enlarged convention center. But, if they are going to ask the entire community to pay for this, then they need to demonstrate a community-wide benefit to all. It appears that the benefactors of this are primarily ISU and service industry businesses. They have yet failed to demonstrate to me how residential property owners, who will bear a significant percentage of this levy, will benefit. Additionally, it is not a financially viable enterprise, as it is predicted to loose $250,000/year. The Ames Convention and Visitors Bureau has pledged to make up the difference, but who will really be holding the tab at the end of the day?

I know that since returning to Ames 5 years ago, my property taxes have increased by $1000/year, even though my assessed value has not increased. I can tell you that during that same time, the city services have not increased or improved. I generally do not oppose increases to taxes if the need has clearly been demonstrated and the results benefit the entire community (I supported the recent school bond levy). But in this case, the primary benefactors (ISU and commercial businesses) should be the ones to fund this enterprise.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I don't doubt that there are several entities in this city that will benefit from a new/enlarged convention center. But, if they are going to ask the entire community to pay for this, then they need to demonstrate a community-wide benefit to all. It appears that the benefactors of this are primarily ISU and service industry businesses. They have yet failed to demonstrate to me how residential property owners, who will bear a significant percentage of this levy, will benefit. Additionally, it is not a financially viable enterprise, as it is predicted to loose $250,000/year. The Ames Convention and Visitors Bureau has pledged to make up the difference, but who will really be holding the tab at the end of the day?

I know that since returning to Ames 5 years ago, my property taxes have increased by $1000/year, even though my assessed value has not increased. I can tell you that during that same time, the city services have not increased or improved. I generally do not oppose increases to taxes if the need has clearly been demonstrated and the results benefit the entire community (I supported the recent school bond levy). But in this case, the primary benefactors (ISU and commercial businesses) should be the ones to fund this enterprise.

It will be paid for with hotel/motel tax money (since they will be a beneficiary), last year I believe 1.2 million in hotel/motel tax was generated in Ames. The new convention space is projected to create more than enough additional hotel/motel tax (via more people staying in the hotels) to cover the deficit.

Last edited:

BFD

Oct 11, 2012
It will be paid for with hotel/motel tax money (since they will be a beneficiary), last year I believe 1.2 million in hotel/motel tax was generated in Ames. The new convention space is projected to create more than enough additional hotel/motel tax (via more people staying in the hotels) to cover the deficit.

Honest question as I am unfamiliar with the health of the city of Ames current budget, but if the increased traffic to hotels doesn't generate at least $250K over the current $1.2MM annually in taxes to cover the operational shortfalls, then wouldn't the residents of Ames again be on the hook? Or at least the city which then would have decisions to make on funding or taxes depending on the fiscal health of the city. Maybe they are able to easily absorb that cost, I don't know not living in Ames anymore?

It may never come down to that I am just curious if those types of discussions occurred before they decided to roll this out as I always try to imagine worst case scenario. Would they raise the hotel/motel tax if projections don't pan out?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Short answer is Economic Impact of events coming to the community. People staying in hotels, eating at restaurants and shopping while they are in town. More events bring more people which has more impact on the tax money generated that is used to help in other areas of the community.

There are not really any places to shop in Ames and there are about 2 good restaurants and one over rated one in Ames.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There are not really any places to shop in Ames and there are about 2 good restaurants and one over rated one in Ames.

I have a feeling the City would offer up Main Street as plenty sufficient when it comes to meeting the shopping/dining/nightlife needs of convention goers.

And what are you talking about with restaurants? Ames has lots of options for restaurants. I'll throw the Spice, Aunt Maudes, The Cafe out there as very good local options. That's not including other locally owned spots like Dublin Bay, Great Plains, Olde Main, Geangelo's, El Azteca, Wallaby's, and yes Hickory Park. Any of those places are very suitable to the convention crowd.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Honest question as I am unfamiliar with the health of the city of Ames current budget, but if the increased traffic to hotels doesn't generate at least $250K over the current $1.2MM annually in taxes to cover the operational shortfalls, then wouldn't the residents of Ames again be on the hook? Or at least the city which then would have decisions to make on funding or taxes depending on the fiscal health of the city. Maybe they are able to easily absorb that cost, I don't know not living in Ames anymore?

It may never come down to that I am just curious if those types of discussions occurred before they decided to roll this out as I always try to imagine worst case scenario. Would they raise the hotel/motel tax if projections don't pan out?

No, ISU has agreed to be responsible for the shortfall, if the additional hotel/motel tax revenue can't cover it.

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
There are a lot of convention functions that would actually prefer Ames over the Des Moines Convention Center. Many conventions that have moved there have seen that their actual class attendance has gone down because people just wander off into the skywalks for fun and games. The people that are putting on many conventions want a center more like the proposed one in Ames since once people show up for the day, they will actually be more likely to attend the convention activities.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
When I play Sim City - I can't even entertain the thought of a Convention center until my city reaches 100,000 citizens.

It was also destroyed shortly after construction by a user initiated robot attack.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
There are a lot of convention functions that would actually prefer Ames over the Des Moines Convention Center. Many conventions that have moved there have seen that their actual class attendance has gone down because people just wander off into the skywalks for fun and games. The people that are putting on many conventions want a center more like the proposed one in Ames since once people show up for the day, they will actually be more likely to attend the convention activities.

Maybe....seems like a stretch though. Most conventions are held in places where there are other activities nearby. It helps to attract people to come to the convention in the first place. Isn't Las Vegas #1 city in the US for conventions? Lot's of other distractions going on there.

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
Maybe....seems like a stretch though. Most conventions are held in places where there are other activities nearby. It helps to attract people to come to the convention in the first place. Isn't Las Vegas #1 city in the US for conventions? Lot's of other distractions going on there.

The Ames convention center isn't claiming to turn Ames into a mini Las Vegas with attractions and giant national conventions. Regional convention activity is still an active and viable economic and educational driver. Any regional convention that I've ever attended doesn't have entertainment. It has classes, discussions and break-out sessions. Save the fun and games for the national conventions in destination locations.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

You're picturing the wrong type of conventions. Of course Ames won't be competing with cities like that for those kind of conventions, but that's not the intent.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
And what are you talking about with restaurants? Ames has lots of options for restaurants. I'll throw the Spice, Aunt Maudes, The Cafe out there as very good local options. That's not including other locally owned spots like Dublin Bay, Great Plains, Olde Main, Geangelo's, El Azteca, Wallaby's, and yes Hickory Park. Any of those places are very suitable to the convention crowd.

I 100% agree with you but unless you are looking really well an out of towner probably doesn't know where these restaurants are since they aren't close to a hotel or on Main St.
When I travel for work or a convention I look for something nearby. Typically try to avoid Mexican/Chinese food as well. They are too hit or miss for me to gamble.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I 100% agree with you but unless you are looking really well an out of towner probably doesn't know where these restaurants are since they aren't close to a hotel or on Main St.
When I travel for work or a convention I look for something nearby. Typically try to avoid Mexican/Chinese food as well. They are too hit or miss for me to gamble.

I was more refuting his claim that there are only 2 good restaurants in Ames. But you're right, while some folks will go out and find local places to eat, not everyone will. Some like to play it safe. I didn't list any of the chain restaurants, but they would see a lot more business during conventions.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

You're picturing the wrong type of conventions. Of course Ames won't be competing with cities like that for those kind of conventions, but that's not the intent.
So you're saying this won't put Ames in the running for the annual AVN convention ?

Last edited:

AlanStanwyk

Mar 14, 2012
I was more refuting his claim that there are only 2 good restaurants in Ames. But you're right, while some folks will go out and find local places to eat, not everyone will. Some like to play it safe. I didn't list any of the chain restaurants, but they would see a lot more business during conventions.

Ames now has two good restaurants. That's awesome. When I lived there Aunt Maudes was the only good restaurant. Glad to hear more options have come to town. Its been almost 20 years since I left and I am planning a trip this next summer.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

That is why many Convention Centers have a concierge.