New proposed Ames convention center...

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
There was actually a proposal at one point for an actual new convention center to be built south of scheman.Thought it looked much better.

oMGn1b1.jpg

But yeah, agreed about the hotel, you'd have to think a hotel in close proximity would do crazy business given it'd be the premier place not just for those conventions but for those coming into town for ISU athletics events as well.

My first thought was, "Why are they sandwiching this in on the north side?! What about the south side where is much more empty green space and makes the overall facility closer to the large parking area!"

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
We'll see who gets out and votes. It's interesting to read all these responses in this thread, but of course the vast majority of you don't live in Ames (or maybe aren't property owners - commercial or residential).

Prior to this thread, all I had heard about the proposed convention was positive reports. However, my only contacts were Ames Chamber of Commerce and ACVB people. They have a greater interest in getting this approved than the average citizen. What I'd like to know is whether or not the Ames Chamber and ACVB claims about drawing more conventions and business hold true? If so, can they cite the additional conventions (with specificity) that they believe are going to come and increase revenues for businesses around Ames? I need some hard data to feel better informed.

I am skeptical given the immense cost of the project and as another poster said, why not just renovate and enlarge Scheman and attach a hotel to it since the hotel aspect is a crucial component being overlooked? Based on my knowledge of construction costs, which is limited, it seems to me Scheman could be renovated and a hotel added for less than the estimate cost.

I will be voting, and will be affected with both a commercial and residential tax hike if it passes, but I have not made up my mind yet. It will be interesting to hear additional arguments come forth in the coming weeks.

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
If ti passes will depend somewhat on the downtown business groups wants. If they want it they will work to get it but if not they will work against it like they did on the proposed mall on I35 north.

Downtown business did not really work against the proposed mall. Most downtown business owners weren't really concerned about it. A bunch of No Growth people argued against the mall and used delay tactics, but downtown businesses will adapt and survive.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
We'll see who gets out and votes. It's interesting to read all these responses in this thread, but of course the vast majority of you don't live in Ames (or maybe aren't property owners - commercial or residential).

Prior to this thread, all I had heard about the proposed convention was positive reports. However, my only contacts were Ames Chamber of Commerce and ACVB people. They have a greater interest in getting this approved than the average citizen. What I'd like to know is whether or not the Ames Chamber and ACVB claims about drawing more conventions and business hold true? If so, can they cite the additional conventions (with specificity) that they believe are going to come and increase revenues for businesses around Ames? I need some hard data to feel better informed.

I am skeptical given the immense cost of the project and as another poster said, why not just renovate and enlarge Scheman and attach a hotel to it since the hotel aspect is a crucial component being overlooked? Based on my knowledge of construction costs, which is limited, it seems to me Scheman could be renovated and a hotel added for less than the estimate cost.

I will be voting, and will be affected with both a commercial and residential tax hike if it passes, but I have not made up my mind yet. It will be interesting to hear additional arguments come forth in the coming weeks.

That was me... They already have some pretty decent spaces in the existing Scheman building. Just give it a nice face lift (inside and outside) and attach a solid hotel onto it and you have a better use of your money than spending THAT much on a new one. If you put a convention center right where they're proposing, you're rendering the scheman building useless in my honest opinion unless there's some underlying scheme that the university would just like to get rid of it (I assume it's owned by the university) and then maybe just pay whatever fees they need to use the new one. Think there's probably more to this proposal than meets the eye.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Unless if somebody can change my opinion I will be changing my voter registration to vote "no" on this issue.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I am voting YES. Fortunately a small property tax increase isn't a big deal for me. I am all for improving the ISU Center.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Unless if somebody can change my opinion I will be changing my voter registration to vote "no" on this issue.
I agree - all convention/conference facilities on university campuses or in university towns - that I've been to - are either privately funded (like the Marriott Hotel and Conference Center in Iowa City) or built by the university in concert with donations (like the Kellogg Center at Michigan State). Ridiculous for ISU and the ACVB to ask Ames taxpayers to fund half of this. I even know ISU faculty members who are voting no...

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
I agree - all convention/conference facilities on university campuses or in university towns - that I've been to - are either privately funded (like the Marriott Hotel and Conference Center in Iowa City) or built by the university in concert with donations (like the Kellogg Center at Michigan State). Ridiculous for ISU and the ACVB to ask Ames taxpayers to fund half of this. I even know ISU faculty members who are voting no...

The Marriott in Coralville is subsided by taxpayer money.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'll be voting no on this. Ames' property taxes are already outrageous and when this loses a bunch of money they'll be even worse.

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
If it loses a bunch of money the tax players wouldn't be responsible for those losses just the $19 million to build.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I'd make an argument most of Central Iowa's are ridiculous. All the new/renovated schools popping up (Nevada, Gilbert, Ankeny, Ames, Huxley) aren't doing taxpayers any favors.

Ankeny has no choice, they need to raise taxes a bunch to fund more schools. Elementary class sizes are getting over 25 already.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I'd make an argument most of Central Iowa's are ridiculous. All the new/renovated schools popping up (Nevada, Gilbert, Ankeny, Ames, Huxley) aren't doing taxpayers any favors.

I'm actually glad to see my town has nice facilities for students and are able to keep class sizes to a resonable number. Not saying the convention center should happen but I don't get all bent out of shape over a few dollars in property taxes.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The Marriott in Coralville is subsided by taxpayer money.
Yes, I stand corrected - and the hotel/conference center construction was not only subsidized, but fully funded, by the Coralville taxpayers. The hotel will never make money, as the mayor admitted. Coralville's city debt is now close to $300 million, third-highest in the state. The Marriott is one reason why.
I believe in using city dollars to fund/construct public places that the citizens can enjoy and use.

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
Which is one reason the Ames project is funded differently

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron