New Cell Phone and Driving Law in Minnesota - hands free

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The worst is the northbound section of I35 between Owatonna and MSP. I don't know why, but traffic increases and shitheads all drive in the left lane.

That said, I80 and I380 is full of Iowa plates doing the same thing. The stretch from Davenport to Iowa City is bad and the CR-IC rush hour gridlock is full of them.

Yah, but that stretch is bumper to bumper full lanes and half the bumpers are tailgating semis. Worst portion of any drive I take down to Davenport. There is essentially no "passing" lane because of the traffic density.

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My experience with dudes that complain the loudest about someone being in the passing lane and obstructing them aren't really using that lane for passing, they are using it as their personal high speed cruising lane. The new law in Minnesota doesn't actually designate the left lane as a 95 mph cruising lane. I see way more dedicated left lane cruisers than slow speed bothers.

What bugs me more is the people who yo-yo their speed up and down. There are at 72 than 78 than 70 than 77. If they could just pick a speed I might just get in the line with them. And yah, if you look when you pass them half the time they got their heads buried in their phones. Which is back on topic for the thread. :rolleyes:

Full Disclosure: I generally drive the interstate outside of the metro about 10 -12 mph over the limit and the occasional slow pokes below the speed limit really don't annoy me that much.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
My experience with dudes that complain the loudest about someone being in the passing lane and obstructing them aren't really using that lane for passing, they are using it as their personal high speed cruising lane. The new law in Minnesota doesn't actually designate the left lane as a 95 mph cruising lane.
giphy.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My experience with dudes that complain the loudest about someone being in the passing lane and obstructing them aren't really using that lane for passing, they are using it as their personal high speed cruising lane. The new law in Minnesota doesn't actually designate the left lane as a 95 mph cruising lane. I see way more dedicated left lane cruisers than slow speed bothers.

What bugs me more is the people who yo-yo their speed up and down. There are at 72 than 78 than 70 than 77. If they could just pick a speed I might just get in the line with them. And yah, if you look when you pass them half the time they got their heads buried in their phones. Which is back on topic for the thread. :rolleyes:

Full Disclosure: I generally drive the interstate outside of the metro about 10 -12 mph over the limit and the occasional slow pokes below the speed limit really don't annoy me that much.
I generally drive 8-10 over the speed limit outside the metro. I encounter people who may spend a little too long in the left lane but will move over when they notice someone is coming up behind them. I also encounter people who camp out in the left lane and will not move right even when a long string of cars end up having to pass them on the right. The latter are the ones that are causing the problem.

I use the passing lane for passing and move back over to the right when the lane is clear.

• Agree
Reactions: ruflosn

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I live in japan, and the fine for talking on a cell phone while driving is $500. There is a recent bill that proposed $1000 fine and 6 months in jail for the first offense. Having one drink and driving here is a no no also, severe monetary penalty and jail time. As a result, 95% of people don’t do it. Unsure about blue tooth use.

In any metro area, which is a majority of places here, the roads are narrower and most not straight. There are numerous cars, bicycles that constantly seem to pop out of nowhere and people of all ages walking. I occasionally count the number of possible obstacles in a block or two and the number can reach 15-20. You’ve got to always pay attention here, otherwise a driver will end up ending the life of a pedestrian pretty quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Reminder that driving is more than just venting about how everyone else is a sucky driver but yourselves. Heard via social media that Hwy 55 was closed less than a mile from my digs. Checked and found some guy had rear ended a metro bus stopped at the stop light. The Charger had the engine pushed into the passenger compartment with the tires not far behind. And yah, the guy was killed instantly. Looks like he had to have hit the back of the bus going at least 50, maybe 60. Didn't even look like any skid marks. Bad luck for him to hit an unyielding mass like a bus but hitting something smaller at his speed might have killed people in a car in front of him. No telling what may have distracted his attention but it had to have been something.

Lot of guys run between the stop lights on 55 like it's a drag race. It's a main blvd into downtown. Been rear ended on 55 once myself and give lots of attentive looks in my rearview mirror every time I turn right into my neighborhood off of 55.

Last edited:

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I think it should be legal to chuck eggs at people texting and driving.

(edit - "and driving". I'm not advocating chucking eggs at random people texting while walking down the sidewalk. But driving? Toss at your leisure....)

Last edited:

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Lot of guys run between the stop lights on 55 like it's a drag race. It's a main blvd into downtown. Been rear ended on 55 once myself and give lots of attentive looks in my rearview mirror every time I turn right into my neighborhood off of 55.

55 is tricky dangerous. Everyone is gunning it to get past the next light (which it seems like there is a hundred), but there are just enough uncontrolled intersections that people pulling out while your doing 60-65mph happens a lot. I've driven that hwy a lot between the downtown and Plymouth.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Reminder that driving is more than just venting about how everyone else is a sucky driver but yourselves. Heard via social media that Hwy 55 was closed less than a mile from my digs. Checked and found some guy had rear ended a metro bus stopped at the stop light. The Charger had the engine pushed into the passenger compartment with the tires not far behind. And yah, the guy was killed instantly. Looks like he had to have hit the back of the bus going at least 50, maybe 60. Didn't even look like any skid marks. Bad luck for him to hit an unyielding mass like a bus but hitting something smaller at his speed might have killed people in a car in front of him. No telling what may have distracted his attention but it had to have been something.

This happened in Minnesota just last year.

http://m.startribune.com/charges-i-...efore-crash-that-killed-hwy-worker/512735352/