New Basketball Court

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Then why bother putting it on the floor it all? Do graphic designers also advise that labeling be placed where it can't be seen?

Probably because fans would lose their minds completely, judged by the reaction to just moving it to another part of the court. So, I'd go with appeasement. And just because it can't be seen at all times doesn't mean that it can't be seen from time to time.

H

HGPuck

The reason it was moved was so there was no writing below the video boards on the scorers table. Cyclones.com and the hashtag were added because that sideline was then blank. The Hilton Colosium lettering was not moved because of them. It was added to the other sideline because of the tradition of having it on the floor and so fans would overreact less than if it hadn't been included at all.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
The reason it was moved was so there was no writing below the video boards on the scorers table. Cyclones.com and the hashtag were added because that sideline was then blank. The Hilton Colosium lettering was not moved because of them. It was added to the other sideline because of the tradition of having it on the floor and so fans would overreact less than if it hadn't been included at all.

Interesting, thanks, I hadn't considered that. I can see why advertisers might prefer to have that video board space a little less "obstructed".

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Nitpicking here of course. But I think it will take me a while to get used to the unpainted lanes on the new Hilton floor.

I wish the lanes were filled with cardinal and the Big 12 logo was a gold outline against the cardinal.

Not a huge deal, and if this is my biggest issue with this basketball season then I hope to see you at my funeral in Indianapolis next April after a Kool-Aid overdose, but I wanted to see if anyone else agrees.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I didn't have a problem with the unpainted lanes. The court did wreak havoc with my HD last night though. Had some weird distortion on the full court view. Is the court lighter this season, or more variation in the board colors so that the straight lines of the boards are more visible? Close ups of the bench or players were great, but the wide shot was rather messed up. Hopefully it was a bit of an anomoly

Last edited:

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Nitpicking here of course. But I think it will take me a while to get used to the unpainted lanes on the new Hilton floor.

I wish the lanes were filled with cardinal and the Big 12 logo was a gold outline against the cardinal.

Not a huge deal, and if this is my biggest issue with this basketball season then I hope to see you at my funeral in Indianapolis next April after a Kool-Aid overdose, but I wanted to see if anyone else agrees.

I actually love that the lanes aren't painted. I spent some time watching the Iowa game last night, and just thought their painted lanes seemed odd after seeing our court. It's so much more "clean" this way.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I wish they would have kept "Hilton Coliseum" at the top of the court so it was visible on TV.
Thats my only complaint.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Another very subtle change I noticed last night...the padding around the backboard/hoop structure is now black/grey instead of red. Last year, it looked like this:

ku_bkc_isu_28_t960.jpg

Now, it's like this:

5466d6bdd5150.image.jpg

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
Another very subtle change I noticed last night...the padding around the backboard/hoop structure is now black/grey instead of red. Last year, it looked like this:

ku_bkc_isu_28_t960.jpg

Now, it's like this:

5466d6bdd5150.image.jpg

I noticed that too. I wish it was still Cardinal instead of the black.

Does anyone know why they painted some of the concrete walls around the interior ring cardinal but not all of them? I really like it and wish they would do it to the rest of those walls.

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
I noticed that the court looked a little different in the wide shots this year. It appears you see more grain/patterns in the wood than before. ESPN cameras and color settings also contribute to this since not all of their TV trucks have the same equipment. If you compare the feeds from the Michigan and Iowa games last year they look drastically different even though both are broadcast in HD.

I've noticed a couple of subtle changes in Hilton so far this season. They painted the walls lining the inner concourse red which I think looks really good. I'm also digging the cleaner look to the court along with the B12 logo branding.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
I wish they would have kept "Hilton Coliseum" at the top of the court so it was visible on TV.
Thats my only complaint.

I thought I might be the only one who was bugged by that. I had hoped we would avoid the awful trend of throwing social media stuff on our court, but even with it there I think there would be enough room to have kept 'Hilton Coliseum' at the top.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
I've noticed a couple of subtle changes in Hilton so far this season. They painted the walls lining the inner concourse red which I think looks really good. I'm also digging the cleaner look to the court along with the B12 logo branding.

I like that a lot too. Do you know why they haven't painted all the inner concourse walls though?

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I like that a lot too. Do you know why they haven't painted all the inner concourse walls though?

My guess is that when TV cameras shoot the crowd the likelihood of them shooting behind the baskets would involve the red concourse walls whereas TV cameras rarely pan out and show the crowds on the sides of the courts that is the concrete walls.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Court definitely looks different on TV this year...lighter color of finish, no painted lanes, etc. It will just take me a few games to get used to, but Ill be OK with it in the long run.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I noticed that too. I wish it was still Cardinal instead of the black.

Does anyone know why they painted some of the concrete walls around the interior ring cardinal but not all of them? I really like it and wish they would do it to the rest of those walls.

Yeah, i like that paint on the ends, they should definitely do that for the rest of the inner concourse.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'm a fan of the new court, looks much better, a much more simple, clean look.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Your signature photo with white numbers on the Jack Trice throwback uniforms reminded me of how much I don't like the white lines for volleyball.