Never felt better after a tournament loss

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Doesn’t have to be the shot there, if they could attack off the dribble or had any kind of back down game would work as well. Tre can back it in but not against bigger defenders.
This is what I was thinking. We run that high post action, and it becomes really ineffective if they are going to sag 8' off of the high post. Take 1-2 dribbles and make them guard you and see what opens up. To compound things, when Watson was on the floor and we ran that action, it was an incredible stress on the guards, as you have them sagging 8' off the high post, and eliminates the only thing Watson can bring in the half court offense, which is cutting hard on the baseline for a look at the rim.

So basically you have their 4 and 5 that can sit in the lane. Their guards can overextend knowing you've got two bigs with at least a foot in the lane down on the block. It's just not a recipe for successful offense.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Not surprised by the outcome last night, wouldn't have been surprised by any outcome.

To make an elite 8 you have to be just that (Elite), or get some luck. I'm not sure we were an elite team, and we didn't get enough luck last night (although Illinois free throw shooting was close).

In a very odd way, I'm almost waiting to measure my level of disappointment until I see how the UConn Illinois game goes.

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
Most teams have a bad record in the Sweet Sixteen. They mentioned last night (not sure which team it was) that the team was 1-8 all time. It's a worthy banner to hang, and another accomplishment for the program. The key is in getting there a lot, and I'm confident that TJ is building a program that will get there quite often with teams with the ability to go further.
Yeah sweet 16 games have almost always been a complete bed crapping by ISU unfortunately. I vividly remember the last 4 against Uconn, VA, Miami, and now Ill. We completely got blown out early in each and I don't think we ever had a lead in any of those games. At least last night we had a great second half and had a chance to win at the end. Our offense has made strides but now just needs to be more consistent. We scored over 40 in the 2nd half of all tournament games. 40+ in a half with a great defense is a national championship contender if they can do it consistently. We aren't far off. What a great season though. So proud of these players and staff!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Feels a lot like the Prohm loss in the Sweet Sixteen. You can paint glorious pictures about all you're going to accomplish next year but how about taking advantage of what's in front of you right now? Being 1-5 in games to advance to the EE sucks.

That team never got closer than 7 vs. Virginia with really good offensive players and otherwise was a blowout most of the game. Niang and other seniirs sat out at the end because it was so bad.

Last night wasn't like that. It was *this* close to turning including the last two minutes and things didn't work out.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Feels a lot like the Prohm loss in the Sweet Sixteen. You can paint glorious pictures about all you're going to accomplish next year but how about taking advantage of what's in front of you right now? Being 1-5 in games to advance to the EE sucks.
Absolutely no where close to that feeling. Prohm consistently underachieved with that squad and we only got to the Sweet 16 by beating Iona and Ark Little-Rock and we were not competitive against Virginia despite playing in Chicago with a great fan advantage. Prohm tan this program straight into the ground does anyone believe we will have a 20+ loss squad under TJ.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I expect the Cyclones to be Top 15 pre-season next year and hopefully top ten good, but I feel to be a Final Four team, we need a go-to scorer. Let’s see if Milan can development into that.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I didn't expect this team to win it all, so my expectation was always to go out with a loss. But I would have hoped we went down playing well against a better team, maybe UConn. It is frustrating watching a team come out so flat in such a big game, going out knowing that team that is advancing didn't have to survive your best shot.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
OK, let's travel back in time to Nov 1,2023 when we were picked to finish 7th in the league.

You were made the offer guaranteeing that we would finish 2nd in the Big XII, win the tournament, and make it to the Sweet 16 but not the Elite Eight. How many would have taken that offer. I know I would have in a heartbeat.
I probably would have taken that offer even after Orlando tournament.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE ASSUMING WE ARE KEEPING EVERYONE!!!

1. CuJo said he's staying but just BALLED in the sweet 16. He'll have multiple 6 figure offers coming
  2. Gilbert has been radio silent on returning.. Are we 100% sure he's staying?
  3. Milan's ceiling is 1st team all-conference. What school wouldn't want a 6'8" wing who can dribble, pass, and shoot. His offer list is going to be nearly every blue bood
  4. Lipsey is likely safe with the Ames connection. But the guy was 1st team all big 12 on 1 good shoulder

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Absolutely love our trio of post players, they impacted the program in so many ways. TJ ended up doing it by committee and it was effective.
But damn, they are such a liability on offense some times. We have to find guys with some semblance of post skill and mid range touch. Tre showed flashes, but so inconsistent.
Dishon looks like he could help.

Last year, it was Pitt letting Tamin float by himself around the perimeter.

Last night, it was Illinois not even guarding our posts if they caught the ball outside the paint, and then using those guys to play help D on Milan, CuJo, etc.

Absolutely crushed our spacing and ball movement.
Rock is one of the highest recruited bigs ISU has had in awhile. Hopefully the redshirt year allows him to see the court quickly.

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
Absolutely no where close to that feeling. Prohm consistently underachieved with that squad and we only got to the Sweet 16 by beating Iona and Ark Little-Rock and we were not competitive against Virginia despite playing in Chicago with a great fan advantage. Prohm tan this program straight into the ground does anyone believe we will have a 20+ loss squad under TJ.
Correct.

And the biggest difference between that 2016 team and this team is who is returning. That loss to Virginia hurt so bad because we knew it was the last year they could make a deep run. We were losing 3 of our 4 best players (Niang Nader McKay leaving, Monte staying)

Next years team returns our 4 best players, and major upgrades in the post. If anything we are a year or two out from it being "the year" Iowa State best has a chance to make a Final Four.

Reactions: NoCreativity

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Not sure why you all are care about preseason expectations. Those mean nothing to me. This team was the best shot at an elite 8 (or final 4) since Niang broke his foot. I’ll say it again, they came up short. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t an incredibly fun season.
With the draw we got, the furthest we could have got was the Elite 8 imo. We needed to win a toss-up game to get there, and we came up a bit short.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I am excited about the future. I just think we choked last night. Missing way to many lay ups and open shots. Can't do that in the sweet 16 and survive.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Given preseason roster and expectations... not sure how making the sweet 16 this year is not taking advantage of what's being in front of them.

Reactions: NWICY and madguy30

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

1. CuJo said he's staying but just BALLED in the sweet 16. He'll have multiple 6 figure offers coming
  3. Milan's ceiling is 1st team all-conference. What school wouldn't want a 6'8" wing who can dribble, pass, and shoot. His offer list is going to be nearly every blue bood
  4. Lipsey is likely safe with the Ames connection. But the guy was 1st team all big 12 on 1 good shoulder
I assume CuJo is staying cause he said he would and Tamin in staying with NIL, close family, and local connection.

Not saying we will be able to keep everyone, but I’m optimistic for a couple reasons.

A.) Nothing will convince me these reported NIL deals aren’t over-inflated, until I start seeing the contracts. There are not that many guys getting 6 figures, but there are a lot of reasons why all involved parties would want us to think there are.

B.) Our collective is in a much better spot than it was when we lost Tyrese. Actually, I don’t think we even had a collective at that time

C.) Most schools use the majority of their NIL on football. We probably put more resources towards basketball than a lot of schools, which means we can be competitive in retention of players (probably not acquisition of the top talent).

D.) We have a coaching staff guys love playing for and we’re a competitive team. If we stunk and our coach wasn’t a great recruiter, we’d be in a lot worse shape

Last edited:

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

1) He is already getting paid here. 1 game does not usually translate into a higher 6 figure payout
2) He is a junior he does not need tell us publicly he is coming back. He followed TJ to ISU.
3) Milan had a rough game last night, cannot imagine he would want to leave on that note.
4) Lipsey comes from a family that probably is solid financially.

Could they leave? Sure. But ISU does pay it's guys, they are not playing for free.

TJ is a very good recruiter, that plays a role. The guys he brings in are of a different character.

Cyburbbalz

Dec 14, 2019
1. We got 3 really good guards coming back. All tough sons a *******.

2. Big guy coming in the portal.

3. Anybody that wants to win, will come here. Anybody with a brain, will want to go to war with those 3 guards.

4. Personally I think we really need to keep Watson, add a true post or a stretch 4. And get another shooter. I know it's a lot to ask, but this is a national title contender if you can get it done.

5. Milan will get better.

Guys, next year is our chance. Reality is we just didn't have the scheme offensively or the horses to break through this year. We were still limited. We are still working through a lot forced pieces. This is it. Next year is the year. If we just get better offensively a bit, nothing is stopping these guys. Those three guards have guts, and they can play.

It can be done here. We are so close.
We need a big who can create their own offense. Someone who can be a true post up threat.

Help Support Us

Become a patron