Never felt better after a tournament loss

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
1. We got 3 really good guards coming back. All tough sons a *******.

2. Big guy coming in the portal.

3. Anybody that wants to win, will come here. Anybody with a brain, will want to go to war with those 3 guards.

4. Personally I think we really need to keep Watson, add a true post or a stretch 4. And get another shooter. I know it's a lot to ask, but this is a national title contender if you can get it done.

5. Milan will get better.

Guys, next year is our chance. Reality is we just didn't have the scheme offensively or the horses to break through this year. We were still limited. We are still working through a lot forced pieces. This is it. Next year is the year. If we just get better offensively a bit, nothing is stopping these guys. Those three guards have guts, and they can play.

It can be done here. We are so close.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It hurts, but it hurts because it's probably the 2nd best season we've ever had as a program. We were just missing that one component, an elite scorer. That's why the development of Milan is so important. He could turn into that guy. Hopefully he will.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I appreciate the optimism and do feel good about next year. This season exceeded expectations for just about everyone I know.

But I am still sick about tonight. This is going to be one of those games that got away and we’re going to remember it for a long time. So much coulda, woulda, shoulda. I give Illinois a lot of credit. They had a good game plan and punched us in the mouth coming out of the gate.

We outscores them the last 36 minutes of the game by 6. Had several chances to tie and couldn’t. Shannon gets a lucky bounce on a three when we had a foul going the other way. Then they get a tip on off a deflected pass. The list goes on and on. We play an average game offensively and we win that game comfortably given their free throw woes.

I will probably come around to where you are sometime but not there yet.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
It's going to take a day or two to get over the loss because we had so many chances (too many missed layups, the first five minutes, etc.), but we had a great squad this year. Next year we have a great squad ready to go that returns our top top four scorers, bring in an amazing big man in Dishon Jackson, and I'm sure we are still going to find another big man in the transfer portal. Milan's development going into next season will be critical as we need a guy that can be a big time scorer in the clutch. Milan seemed incredibly frazzled in this game, but hopefully he uses that as motivation to get better. Next year's team should be a favorite to win the Big 12. TJ is absolutely the best guy for this program and I have a lot of confidence as he's proven he is one of the best coaches in the game. Jamie better give TJ a raise because TJ deserves whatever salary he wants.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98 and Jdk

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I appreciate the optimism and do feel good about next year. This season exceeded expectations for just about everyone I know.

But I am still sick about tonight. This is going to be one of those games that got away and we’re going to remember it for a long time. So much coulda, woulda, shoulda. I give Illinois a lot of credit. They had a good game plan and punched us in the mouth coming out of the gate.

We outscores them the last 36 minutes of the game by 6. Had several chances to tie and couldn’t. Shannon gets a lucky bounce on a three when we had a foul going the other way. Then they get a tip on off a deflected pass. The list goes on and on. We play an average game offensively and we win that game comfortably given their free throw woes.

I will probably come around to where you are sometime but not there yet.
That’s basketball, though. Sometimes the ball bounces your way, sometimes it doesn’t. But even if ISU won, I just don’t see how they keep it close vs UConn.

This game really doesn’t hurt. A sweet 16, being ranked #4 in the AP poll, 13-5 in conference play, undefeated at home, beating Houston twice, and a big 12 tournament title? What a great season. Don’t be sad it’s over; be happy it happened

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
i put $500 on Illinois. ez way to get over the loss
This is always weird to me. Depending on what you bet and when you put it down, the most you won is $200. Maybe that means a lot to you (I would assume not if you put $500 on a game), but that amount wouldn't make me feel any better about last night.

That being said, I agree with the OP. Thankfully we're returning a lot next year, and this didn't feel like it was our only shot. Really would have liked to have gotten to the elite eight, but I didn't lose much sleep (other then going to bed much faster then usual).

Reactions: iowastatechris

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Feels a lot like the Prohm loss in the Sweet Sixteen. You can paint glorious pictures about all you're going to accomplish next year but how about taking advantage of what's in front of you right now? Being 1-5 in games to advance to the EE sucks.

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Absolutely love our trio of post players, they impacted the program in so many ways. TJ ended up doing it by committee and it was effective.
But damn, they are such a liability on offense some times. We have to find guys with some semblance of post skill and mid range touch. Tre showed flashes, but so inconsistent.
Dishon looks like he could help.

Last year, it was Pitt letting Tamin float by himself around the perimeter.

Last night, it was Illinois not even guarding our posts if they caught the ball outside the paint, and then using those guys to play help D on Milan, CuJo, etc.

Absolutely crushed our spacing and ball movement.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
This is always weird to me. Depending on what you bet and when you put it down, the most you won is $200. Maybe that means a lot to you (I would assume not if you put $500 on a game), but that amount wouldn't make me feel any better about last night.

That being said, I agree with the OP. Thankfully we're returning a lot next year, and this didn't feel like it was our only shot. Really would have liked to have gotten to the elite eight, but I didn't lose much sleep (other then going to bed much faster then usual).

it was +100 so I won $500.

i'd pay $500 for isu to be in the elite 8. thats the bet. isu didn't win so i get my 500 back plus another 500. worth

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Absolutely love our trio of post players, they impacted the program in so many ways. TJ ended up doing it by committee and it was effective.
But damn, they are such a liability on offense some times. We have to find guys with some semblance of post skill and mid range touch. Tre showed flashes, but so inconsistent.
Dishon looks like he could help.

Last year, it was Pitt letting Tamin float by himself around the perimeter.

Last night, it was Illinois not even guarding our posts if they caught the ball outside the paint, and then using those guys to play help D on Milan, CuJo, etc.

Absolutely crushed our spacing and ball movement.
Dishon looks like the right guy to improve our offensive production in the front court. We need someone else to step up or grab another good transfer. I don’t think Omaha is the right guy and not sure how well Rock has progressed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron