Never felt better after a tournament loss

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Extremely disappointed but 24 hours will take care of that. There is a reason it’s called the Elite Eight and the unavoidable weakness of this team was exposed which was the non-existent offensive threat of a post. I always thought the media/fan prediction of a Milan short college career as he transitioned to the NBA was not what my eyes were seeing and he has a lot to work on, obviously. I expect the trio of guards to return. But who knows about the rest of the roster, I expect two or three to look for PT elsewhere. I also expect TJ will build an improved roster. It was a great year btw.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
He just doesn’t seem to understand the game at this level and has hands of stone. Not sure if it’s nerves or he’s just a bust, but if we bring in another two 4/5’s in the transfer market then you’d have to think Omaha knows he’s got to go.

He’s a freshman. Give him a year in the system before he’s branded a bust. There’s been plenty of big men that have looked like garbage their freshmen year and turned out well.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Absolutely ...............
Last year, it was Pitt letting Tamin float by himself around the perimeter.

Last night, it was Illinois not even guarding our posts if they caught the ball outside the paint, and then using those guys to play help D on Milan, CuJo, etc.

Absolutely crushed our spacing and ball movement.
Agree, last night I kept thinking how different it would have been if Robert Jones, Ward, or King could consistently hit a shot from the elbow. Once the ball got there is was 5 defenders playing against our other 4.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
That’s basketball, though. Sometimes the ball bounces your way, sometimes it doesn’t. But even if ISU won, I just don’t see how they keep it close vs UConn.

This game really doesn’t hurt. A sweet 16, being ranked #4 in the AP poll, 13-5 in conference play, undefeated at home, beating Houston twice, and a big 12 tournament title? What a great season. Don’t be sad it’s over; be happy it happened

I still believe we're only of the only two teams that could beat UConn in this thing. It's all up to Houston now.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I'd pay $500 for that win.
Same!

I really need to stay off the boards for a few days. Really disappointing game.

I always expect in these threads for Cyclone fans to remind us about "preseason expectations". Nothing more worthless and meaningless in the world of sports than preseason expectations. The team won 29 games and proved it belonged in the Top 10. That actually happened. They were THAT good, and it was pretty clear even early and up to halfway through the conference season (when we actually had enough facts/data to start to form meaningful "expectations") that this team was good enough to go on a deep run.

We fell short. Really a bummer to fall short. Especially to THAT Illinois team.

On the whole, amazing season - 29 wins is freaking awesome. It's simply awesome, and they earned all of them.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
OK, let's travel back in time to Nov 1,2023 when we were picked to finish 7th in the league.

You were made the offer guaranteeing that we would finish 2nd in the Big XII, win the tournament, and make it to the Sweet 16 but not the Elite Eight. How many would have taken that offer. I know I would have in a heartbeat.

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
He just doesn’t seem to understand the game at this level and has hands of stone. Not sure if it’s nerves or he’s just a bust, but if we bring in another two 4/5’s in the transfer market then you’d have to think Omaha knows he’s got to go.
IMO it's just processing speed. The game moves too fast for him at this level. You saw against some of the weaker noncon teams he was able to get his bearings. He'll get better, but idk if he should stay or move down a level to have an easier time adjusting to college basketball.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Feels a lot like the Prohm loss in the Sweet Sixteen. You can paint glorious pictures about all you're going to accomplish next year but how about taking advantage of what's in front of you right now? Being 1-5 in games to advance to the EE sucks.
Most teams have a bad record in the Sweet Sixteen. They mentioned last night (not sure which team it was) that the team was 1-8 all time. It's a worthy banner to hang, and another accomplishment for the program. The key is in getting there a lot, and I'm confident that TJ is building a program that will get there quite often with teams with the ability to go further.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Not sure why you all are care about preseason expectations. Those mean nothing to me. This team was the best shot at an elite 8 (or final 4) since Niang broke his foot. I’ll say it again, they came up short. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t an incredibly fun season.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It hurts, but it hurts because it's probably the 2nd best season we've ever had as a program. We were just missing that one component, an elite scorer. That's why the development of Milan is so important. He could turn into that guy. Hopefully he will.
Haven't had as much fun watching hoops as the Niang broken foot yr. With TJ at the helm we are in good shape.

Reactions: Cycsk

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Here’s my thing and why I didn’t feel nearly as bad as I normally would have.

Literally about everything that could have gone wrong last night did. We couldn’t hit anything and Illinois was hitting most everything. We got a crew that called it really tight. Even with all of that going against us we probably should have won the game.

It really sucks because it is the last time we will see some really great guys in Cyclone uniforms but as others have said I’m really excited about the future. Hopefully we are able to keep everyone around or at least all of the main contributors. If we can do that and maybe add one more big guy we should match this year if not exceed it.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Season was great other than this last game. Just look at the roster we have and we could be even better next season. There's no reason to think we're not capable of winning the Big 12 next year.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Illinois had the size advantage, good passing and spacing, and quite honestly got lucky on some shots / rebounds that seemed to fall their way last night.

ISU was lazy on their passing, had no consistent inside scoring option, had a freshman star struggle...and yet were only a couple of baskets short of the elite eight.

So..should we feel sad for the missed opportunities, or pleased with the wonderful year this group gave us.

I'll take the wonderful year! Go State!

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
We have a lot of talent returning next year and TJ has crushed the offseason/recruiting/portal every year he's been here. I'm excited to see who he brings in!

Reactions: nrg4isu and NWICY

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Agree, last night I kept thinking how different it would have been if Robert Jones, Ward, or King could consistently hit a shot from the elbow. Once the ball got there is was 5 defenders playing against our other 4.

Doesn’t have to be the shot there, if they could attack off the dribble or had any kind of back down game would work as well. Tre can back it in but not against bigger defenders.

Reactions: intrepid27

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron