Never a Plan B

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Defense is simply effort, and I do like what I see so far from Harris and the freshman (though we'll see how the analytics shake out after a few weeks of games).

For a team whose scoring identity obviously wants to be purely high pick-and-roll, I've never seen so many moving screen violations, such lazy spacing on the perimeter, and driving guards not identifying an open backdoor cut or kick out (dating back to last season too).

So basically, yeah, our offense is guilty of everything that can go wrong with the intended scheme.

We were spoiled with the vision and IQ of Monte and Niang sharing the floor. Weiler-Babb and Wigginton held their own as well. Hali, well, he was the next generation but he shined too brightly on an otherwise poor roster; I'm excited to watch him develop at the next level.

Now leading the charge we only have Bolton, and he needs to be the guard getting the kick out because either his vision is poor, or he just doesn't have the confidence or handling to make the passes he should.

It's early, and our young guys had very little chance to get into shape before the season. But I really am hoping we see Foster get a strong feel for the pick and roll game. He could be deadly when paired with Hunter next year.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I think who I like the most driving to the basket is Johnson even though at times his handles seem a little shaky. If they can spread the floor and get him in the right matchup with a bigger guy or slower guy he can take advantage of that.
I agree with this, Johnson has the most potential to create shots for himself that can be finished at a higher rate. Seems like our guards are all 1 dimensional (or 0 dimensional) so far which makes them super easy to guard. We simply have to start making some shots and become threats from the outside (duh).

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
How much can we attribute to lack of offseason prep? These guys look like they literally just came into Hilton and started playing together for the first time. A lot of iso-dribble a the top of the key or 3 point line while everyone else stands around. There is no movement. Nobody seems to know where to be or where to go or what to do. Queue the old Allen Iverson practice gif. These guys look like they don't even practice together. One can hope that over time, game by game, they learn to play together. But if that's what it's gonna take, then the wins will be very few and far between, and multiple absolute beat downs loom in the near future. Not a good approach by Steve.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Defense is simply effort, and I do like what I see so far from Harris and the freshman (though we'll see how the analytics shake out after a few weeks of games).

For a team whose scoring identity obviously wants to be purely high pick-and-roll, I've never seen so many moving screen violations, such lazy spacing on the perimeter, and driving guards not identifying an open backdoor cut or kick out (dating back to last season too).

So basically, yeah, our offense is guilty of everything that can go wrong with the intended scheme.

We were spoiled with the vision and IQ of Monte and Niang sharing the floor. Weiler-Babb and Wigginton held their own as well. Hali, well, he was the next generation but he shined too brightly on an otherwise poor roster; I'm excited to watch him develop at the next level.

Now leading the charge we only have Bolton, and he needs to be the guard getting the kick out because either his vision is poor, or he just doesn't have the confidence to make the passes he should.

It's early, and our young guys had very little chance to get into shape before the season. But I really am hoping we see Foster get a strong feel for the pick and roll game. He could be deadly when paired with Hunter next year.
Our defense is missing a massive amount of awareness, I think the effort is there.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is there a Plan A?
GUEST_afd38e29-6fd7-4347-8cd5-b4a285ad15ff

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah, it the rebounding drives me nuts because you can just see guys not finding a body to block out and just turning to watch. I don't know if they don't spend time on this or what but it shouldn't be that hard.
They shouldn't have to. I was taught these fundamentals in YMCA league when I was like 10. I agree though, the fact that they are so bad at it does beg the question, should they be working on it? Very little cohesion early on. This does not look like an organized NCAA Division I Men's Basketball team.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I can deal with the clunky fundamentals and rust due to all the ridiculous circumstance this year but them not wanting it enough on the glass is just another year of the same trend.

• Agree
Reactions: GetAwesome

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Now leading the charge we only have Bolton, and he needs to be the guard getting the kick out because either his vision is poor, or he just doesn't have the confidence or handling to make the passes he should.

Defense is not simply effort. Not at least playing hard during the game. Effort in practice to become a good defender, in game prep, and in-game both in playing hard and being disciplined to follow the plan from scouting.

Lindell played his ass off. He was a terrible defender.

Tyrus played every minute like it was his last. He wasn't a good defender.

There's way more to just making guys play hard to becoming a good defensive team.

Reactions: CycloneErik

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That’s also a product of not having any big that can accept a dish and finish at the rim with explosion and elevation. Foster will help there once he gets back healthy.

Also like last year having guards that missed wide open threes. Other teams didn't even close on our guards last year, or at the very least were able to close late. The lane was always going to be clogged for this reason and what you mentioned re: bigs.

If last years team had a guy that could do almost nothing else but shoot uncontested threes at a reasonable percentage, it would've drastically changed the offense and the ability of Bolton to finish in the lane.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Defense is not simply effort. Not at least playing hard during the game. Effort in practice to become a good defender, in game prep, and in-game both in playing hard and being disciplined to follow the plan from scouting.

Lindell played his ass off. He was a terrible defender.

Tyrus played every minute like it was his last. He wasn't a good defender.

There's way more to just making guys play hard to becoming a good defensive team.

LIndell hardly played his ass off on the defensive end. He was quite aloof and out of place on the defensive end. He was an aggressor on the offensive end though.

Defense is simply effort, and not just gametime effort. It extends to practice, mental prep, scouting reports, and all. But it's just that, paying attention to detail.

It doesn't take blue chip talent or a special basketball IQ to see a shot go in the air and find a body to box out.

It doesn't take blue chip talent to look at your guard bringing the ball up to the perimeter and say to yourself "hey, I should probably not stand still tucked behind two defenders."

Someone in the program needs to find a new process, then trust it.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I can deal with the clunky fundamentals and rust due to all the ridiculous circumstance this year but them not wanting it enough on the glass is just another year of the same trend.
Outside of Dustin Hogue there has been no focus on rebounding since the last of Larry's players graduated

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
OK, I am back. After 6 months off the board due to stupid Covid arguments, this thread got me back.

(channel inner Jim Mora)
PLAN B?!?
PLAN B?!?
YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT PLAN B?!?

Here is Plan A:
  • poor shot selection
  • bad spacing and little passing
  • unplanned situational basketball
  • zero rebounding
What you see now is the same thing we have seen for the last 3 years under CSP, since he became the primary influence on the team. This year there is more talent than last year, to be sure, but the floundering around is the same.

CSP is a great recruiter, would love to have him as an assistant. But as a head coach he is hopelessly out of his depth.
I've come to the same conclusion. I've given Prohm the benefit of the doubt and was fading in my belief last year... and now, it's all the same stuff - we don't play D or rebound, we have no cutting or ball movement to seams - standing around waiting for a great ball-dominant guard to create, which we don't have; play with no grit; no subs or changes in approach; PT isn't used to get the behavior needed (coach has talked way too much about what's needed, yet doesn't require it of those who play). Officially off the wagon. Seems like a great guy, good recruiter, but very poor coach.

Reactions: Tornado man

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
LIndell hardly played his ass off on the defensive end. He was quite aloof and out of place on the defensive end. He was an aggressor on the offensive end though.

Defense is simply effort, and not just gametime effort. It extends to practice, mental prep, scouting reports, and all. But it's just that, paying attention to detail.

It doesn't take blue chip talent or a special basketball IQ to see a shot go in the air and find a body to box out.

It doesn't take blue chip talent to look at your guard bringing the ball up to the perimeter and say to yourself "hey, I should probably not stand still tucked behind two defenders."

Someone in the program needs to find a new process, then trust it.

defense is not simply effort. It’s a skill that can be developed and enhanced and there is more than one way to be an effective defender. Communication, anticipation, film study, understanding passing lanes and offensive concepts that the other team is playing. Effort doesn’t mean **** if you don’t have these skills.

Reactions: Big_Sill

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
defense is not simply effort. It’s a skill that can be developed and enhanced and there is more than one way to be an effective defender. Communication, anticipation, film study, understanding passing lanes and offensive concepts that the other team is playing. Effort doesn’t mean **** if you don’t have these skills.

Very true; I wholeheartedly agree. It's a skill that CAN be developed. Though it's my humble opinion Prohm's rosters these past few seasons are not in need of elite defense with all of the qualities you outlined above. These teams just need to start with showing some commitment to that end of the floor.

Step 1: actually hustle on D and put a body on someone
Step 2: elevate your D through a prolonged commitment to that part of their game

This season has hardly begun, and lots of fresh faces are on the court. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the early signs that this team is in for more of the same will quickly vanish as the new roster starts to gel.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Very true; I wholeheartedly agree. It's a skill that CAN be developed. Though it's my humble opinion Prohm's rosters these past few seasons are not in need of elite defense with all of the qualities you outlined above. These teams just need to start with showing some commitment to that end of the floor.

Step 1: actually hustle on D and put a body on someone
Step 2: elevate your D through a prolonged commitment to that part of their game

This season has hardly begun, and lots of fresh faces are on the court. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the early signs that this team is in for more of the same will quickly vanish as the new roster starts to gel.

I can’t put my finger on the concepts that Prohm tries to develop on defense. Whatever they are we didn’t pick them up all of last year or this so far. Wish we would just go to something simple like switch everything on the perimeter or always jump the ball on high ball screens no matter who it is that has the ball or who is guarding the screener.

I think he’s trying to run situational on everything and these guys aren’t ready for it. Then on offense it’s the opposite he doesn’t give the guys hardly any different sets to run when some easy sets are simple to learn and remember.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I know its only two games in but have we had a succesfull high PnR yet this season? We don't have personnel, not sure why we keep trying. It was even a struggle last year with seemingly the perfect PG. Poorly run ball screens and 4 out/1 in post up offense with no movement isn't much to hang your hat on, especially without shooters.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Plan A is an intricate series of dribble handoffs and ball screens that go nowhere.

I swear our offense is like a weird dance number up top that serves no purpose other than to run the shot clock down to :10.