Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Homemade sinus rinse from a ENT physician:

1qt distilled water
3 tsp pickling salt or sea salt
1 tsp baking soda

Buy a cheap saline solution squeeze bottle and use the recipe to just keep refilling it.

That's the mixture that my wife uses.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
My understanding that you use salt water (aka saline solution) to act as an astringent which reduces the swelling in the nasal passages. This also helps the drainage due to less constriction. This is why I feel so much better on a winter cruise in the Caribbean; the warm salty air is an effective albeit expensive way to breathe better.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
So I'm battling a bad sinus infection right now, and am considering doing this. Never done it before though, so I'm afraid of doing something stupid like making the water too warm. It also kind of grosses me out to think of doing it, but it's probably a better alternative of doing nothing

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Neti Pots? Pretty sure I dated her in high school, I don't know what she has to do with the sinus stuff.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I've done it before. It works. I would recommend distilled water and making sure you do it in as sterile of a fashion as you can. Hate to have an amoeba crawl up into your brain and kill you (which has happened before from this).

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
[video=youtube;aQm7YpxgOnA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA[/video]

With that, this is a way better video than the other one posted above.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
After battle sinus infection for what seems like all winter and being congested for what I thought might be for the rest of my life, I went out yesterday morning and got a neti pot from Walgreens, and I cannot believe that I woke up this morning and I didn't have to blow my nose first thing.
I was very skeptical, but I feel so much better this morning its unreal, consider me a believer.
Anyone else use one?

I use the more aggressive nasal irrigator with the saline rinse. Gets more force behind it! Great for keeping allergies at bay and moistening nasal cavities if you use steroid nasal spray!

Hooray for clean nasal passages and **** iowa.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
These work great. The one I've used actually looks more like a squirt bottle. It's mildly uncomfortable but the eventual relief is worth it every time.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Do it, you won't regret it. Buy a $10 kit with 100 salt packets and a gallon of distilled water and you're good to go. Just throw the little pot/bottle in the dishwasher once a week and you'll be fine.

I suffered from constant sinus infections for years and haven't really even had a cold in the last several years because of this.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I used one once when it got to a point where I was so stuffed up I had absolutely zero air passage through my nose and couldn't sleep at night. It cleared me up pretty quickly and I couldn't believe the colors that came out of my nose when I blew it right after. Some of them seemed unnatural.

And FFS, definitely use distilled water. I think mine even had a warning on it that said to absolutely never use tap water. And you also want to make sure it's warm water. Even warmer than room temperature.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So I'm battling a bad sinus infection right now, and am considering doing this. Never done it before though, so I'm afraid of doing something stupid like making the water too warm. It also kind of grosses me out to think of doing it, but it's probably a better alternative of doing nothing

Just don't make tea in it and pour it into your nose (see first page - WTF...:err:)

Also, get the mechanical one (I believe it's called the Sinugator). It shoots the solution up your nose into your sinuses. Sounds like it would be painful, but it's actually great - or, at least it became great after my severely deviated septum was surgically straightened out.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I used one once when it got to a point where I was so stuffed up I had absolutely zero air passage through my nose and couldn't sleep at night. It cleared me up pretty quickly and I couldn't believe the colors that came out of my nose when I blew it right after. Some of them seemed unnatural.

And FFS, definitely use distilled water. I think mine even had a warning on it that said to absolutely never use tap water. And you also want to make sure it's warm water. Even warmer than room temperature.

I use filtered water, which the instructions say is acceptable as long as it meets a certain level. I've never had problems using water filtered from my Brita. Just don't use it directly from your refrigerator...:err: