Neti pots

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
After battle sinus infection for what seems like all winter and being congested for what I thought might be for the rest of my life, I went out yesterday morning and got a neti pot from Walgreens, and I cannot believe that I woke up this morning and I didn't have to blow my nose first thing.
I was very skeptical, but I feel so much better this morning its unreal, consider me a believer.
Anyone else use one?

• Agree
Reactions: Bewilderme

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
What type of liquid do you use? I tried one out about 2 years ago, but the tea I put in it ended up giving me a pretty nasty infection. So, all I'm saying is be careful.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
YES. I had a co-worker yapping about a Neti pot while I was sick one week this fall. Last thing I wanted to do was listen to her when I was feeling like crap and completely stuffed up. Finally I broke down and bought one. I wouldn't say that I was cured over night like you, but I felt pretty good for an hour or two afterwards, then I'd just do it again as needed. It's a great way to clear yourself out when you feel like your brain might start leaking out your nose when you blow it!

-By the way, it does say to use salt water and be sure to clean it very well between uses or can result in infection.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
Salt water? In a teapot? I'm sorry but that just sounds ridiculous.

Do you know how you're supposed to use it? You used tea???

When you actually purchase one of these things, it comes with packets of solution that you mix in warm water, then you basically pour it up your nose and out the other side. It's pretty gross at the time but definately worth it. It's similar to gargling with salt water.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
That is so weird. I guess mine didn't come with directions or something. I thought that since it looked like a teapot you just use tea in it. Like I said, I made a nice Earl Grey in it, poured it up my nose and while it did realize me congestion, I ended up with a fairly serious infection.

AmesClone, I wish you and I were friends back then like we are now. That would've saved me a lot of pain.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
I can testify to it's effectiveness as well. I use salt water too - just have to make sure not too much salt or it burns!

If you deal with sinus infections on a regular basis, it's good to use the neti pot daily. Helps keep the sinuses clean and moist -- esp. in the dry winter air.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
My wife uses one and swears by it. She dealt with sinus infections quite often and it has really all but eliminated them. She also uses salt water....

Salt water? In a teapot? I'm sorry but that just sounds ridiculous.

I read her this thread and she is still trying to get a grip from laughing so hard when I read this post to her. It's a good thing it's not shaped like a gas can.....:jimlad:

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
Coca-cola is also a good alternative. Embrace the burn.

Wow- I never even thought of that. I'll bet that's intense!

When it burns, that means it's working. Example: Listerine. I'm completely addicted. Those little pocket pack things? Like liquid crack...

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
I love these, I was also skeptical but it works instantly. I hope you are just forgetting to insert the jimlad tamjam, if not, wow.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
My ENT Dr. had me use a neti-pot after my nasal surgery. It is really weird the first time you use it, but I swear by it! It really helps.

I bought the off-brand Wal Greens version.

cycloneace55

Nov 22, 2006
Gardena, CA
I too had sinus issues prior to a "roto-rooter" job done on my sinuses. One other remedy that sounds odd but actually keeps you breathing well when sleeping is to run Vick's Vapo rub on the bottoms of your feet and put socks on before you go to bed. Its great to get you through the night.

I have used a sinus rinse as well and used distilled water. MUCH better then tap water.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I use something similar to a neti pot (can't think of the brand right now)...it comes in cans and has the salt water solution mixed and under pressure. You tilt you head like you would for a neti pot, and then spray it in. I guess it saves having to mix up the solution.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
I too had sinus issues prior to a "roto-rooter" job done on my sinuses. One other remedy that sounds odd but actually keeps you breathing well when sleeping is to run Vick's Vapo rub on the bottoms of your feet and put socks on before you go to bed. Its great to get you through the night.

I have used a sinus rinse as well and used distilled water. MUCH better then tap water.

My wife swears by this and I would have to admit that it appears to help...reflexology I guess.

Z

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Homemade sinus rinse from a ENT physician:

1qt distilled water
3 tsp pickling salt or sea salt
1 tsp baking soda

Buy a cheap saline solution squeeze bottle and use the recipe to just keep refilling it.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
yeah, the neti pot works great for me. Never tried with the baking soda though.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
People have been using this technique for centuries, I would suspect it works. The theory behind it is sound.