Need Car Advice/Suggestions

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
I'm in the market for a new car to replace my gas hog truck. I really have no clue what exactly I want so I thought maybe the vast combined knowledge of CF would maybe be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm want a sedan or a sedan hatchback. I was originally wanting an Audi A3 but next year's new body style will not include the hatchback in the U.S. Out of the following, which would you choose assuming they were all top tier trim models?

VW GTI
VW Jetta GLI
VW Jetta TDI
Honda Civic
Chevy Cruze
Mazda 3
Volvo C30

Any other similar suggestions are also welcome. With all of that having been said, I have an 03 Silverado Super Sport for sale with 67,000 miles on it if anyone is interested. Haha, thanks people.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, I forgot about the Fusion. It seems like a pretty nice ride. The Infinity is also sweet but a little out of my price range for new. I just wish I knew some people who actually owned one of these cars so I could get a real opinion of them.

Iowast8isgr8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2010
I am also in the market for a similar car. I haven't decided yet, but I am really impressed by the Cruze. Serious car for the money. My only complaint is how many of them will be on the road. Should I worry about that as long as I am happy with it? Anyway, it rides great, is quiet, has some great giddy-up, and does very well on gas. The LTZ and RS models are really sharp.

I will be interested to read what you decide.

Iowast8isgr8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2010
Oh, I also forgot the safety rating. Cruze is a 5 star in nearly everything. One of the options I am considering, the Civic, is rated far worse. I don't know how the other cars you are considering are rated, but I would at least check to see how they rate.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I drive a 2012 civic. I get about 38 mpg commuting from Ames to marshalltown event day. It's not a hybrid, just plain ethanol blend. The car is pretty comfy, but not nearly as fun to drive as the ford focus. The focus was a major redesign this year (we got the Euro version finally) and there weren't many on the dealer lots when I was looking so no one wanted to bargain. Plus I was trading an f250 so no one wanted my trade.

Anyway the civic is a solid car. It's not flashy or fast, but it gets the job done. I've put 18000+ miles on it since last July. Oil change interval worked out to about 10000 miles for me, with 95%+ highway cruising. It's hard to rant or rave about the car because it just doesn't elicit any significant feeling either way. It's just a car.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Oh, I also forgot the safety rating. Cruze is a 5 star in nearly everything. One of the options I am considering, the Civic, is rated far worse. I don't know how the other cars you are considering are rated, but I would at least check to see how they rate.

I just looked at the official nhtsa report for the civic, and it got two 4-stars and the rest 5-stars. I don't think "far worse" is a fair characterization. It also got all "good" ratings from the iihs - good is the best rating they give out.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I'm in the market for a new car to replace my gas hog truck. I really have no clue what exactly I want so I thought maybe the vast combined knowledge of CF would maybe be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm want a sedan or a sedan hatchback. I was originally wanting an Audi A3 but next year's new body style will not include the hatchback in the U.S. Out of the following, which would you choose assuming they were all top tier trim models?

VW GTI
VW Jetta GLI
VW Jetta TDI
Honda Civic
Chevy Cruze
Mazda 3
Volvo C30

Any other similar suggestions are also welcome. With all of that having been said, I have an 03 Silverado Super Sport for sale with 67,000 miles on it if anyone is interested. Haha, thanks people.

The European cars will be expensive to fix. Not sold on their reliability either.

The Chevy seems like a nice car. Hasn't been on road long enough yet to know reliability.

Honda's gone a little backwards in the last few years(we own an 07 Oddysey and love it).

I rented a Toyota Camry a while back that averaged in the 30's for MPG. Really liked that car.

Might take a look at some of the Ford and Hyundai offerings. Hyundai has gotten it's act together over the last 5 or 6 years.

Good luck.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
Thanks for all of the good advice so far. I'm definitely taking it all into consideration.

CycloneSupt6

Dec 18, 2008
Davenport
The European cars will be expensive to fix. Not sold on their reliability either.

The Chevy seems like a nice car. Hasn't been on road long enough yet to know reliability.

Honda's gone a little backwards in the last few years(we own an 07 Oddysey and love it).

I rented a Toyota Camry a while back that averaged in the 30's for MPG. Really liked that car.

Might take a look at some of the Ford and Hyundai offerings. Hyundai has gotten it's act together over the last 5 or 6 years.

Good luck.
I always thought this, but now I am dealing with this first hand with my wife's VW. Dealers want $320 for a 4ft long 1/8'' hydraulic hose that raises and lowers the convertible top.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

VW GTI
VW Jetta GLI
VW Jetta TDI
Honda Civic
Chevy Cruze
Mazda 3
Volvo C30

I owned a VW GTI with the DSG transmission. It was a nice car but keep in mind that you'll have to put premium in it and expect around 30mpg. I'd put the C30 and the GTI together in one category and the rest in another.

I also owned a Mazdaspeed 3. The Mazda 3 is completely different but the magazines give rave reviews.

A also owned a Civic many years ago and it was a good car but boring as hell.

I don't do Chevy.

If you really want fuel mileage I'd be looking at the Prius C. Slow but cheap and nice interior.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Mazda does net belong on the same list as the others. IMHO

I had a Tribute and it was one of worst vehicles I ever owned. No major mechanical problems but the sound system and heating and AC systems were horrible. YOu had to adjust the temperature constantly to stay comfortable.

I go out of my way to ask other Mazda owners how they like their vehicles and most are disappointed.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008

VW GTI
VW Jetta GLI
VW Jetta TDI
Honda Civic
Chevy Cruze
Mazda 3
Volvo C30

your first 4 are good bets. The VW diesel engines are fantastic, as are their turbo's . If a Jetta, go with a 2.0 turbo or 2.0 turbo diesel. They are much better engines than the 2.5 liters from VW. We have had 6 Toyotas, and now on our second VW (Jetta 2.0 turbo; Golf TDI)

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
The Cruze doesn't belong on that list. Reviews I've read state that it's underpowered and have been generally so-so. Consumer Reports predicts its reliability to be poor. I don't know how they make that prediction unless it is based on Chevy's recent reliability as a whole.

I disagree with the poster who said the Mazda doesn't belong. I've never known anyone to be disappointed with a Mazda and the 3 is supposed to be an excellent car.

VW's are awesome performers and fun to drive but they've always had reliability issues. Depending on how many miles you intend to drive each year, I'd consider leasing a VW so you're not on the hook for any unscheduled maintenance.

EDIT: Check out youtube, you can get video reviews on just about every car from Consumer Reports, Edmunds and more.

Also, since you are considering small sedans, check out the Hyundai Elantra. I bought one last fall and it is a good car. I wish I'd have bought a truck but that's another story.

Last edited:

getcloned

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2008
your first 4 are good bets. The VW diesel engines are fantastic, as are their turbo's . If a Jetta, go with a 2.0 turbo or 2.0 turbo diesel. They are much better engines than the 2.5 liters from VW. We have had 6 Toyotas, and now on our second VW (Jetta 2.0 turbo; Golf TDI)

We have an 08 Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0L Turbo with 6 speed manual. Great car, bought it new. Very quick. 25 mpg in town, 30+ mpg highway. The VW/Audi 2.0 FSI/TSI engines require premium gas but get better mileage with the good stuff. No major issues after 47,000+ miles. Will definitely buy VW/Audi again.

Last edited:

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
VW GTI - Economical, fun to Drive. Friend of mine has an '06 hasn't had issue with it.
VW Jetta GLI - Basically the Same car as the GTI just in Jetta format.
VW Jetta TDI - Have a friend that has one of these get around 40 MPG in Chicago traffic driving 50 miles one way to work.
Honda Civic - Economical not as fun to drive as a GTI
Chevy Cruze - Economical
Mazda 3 - If you are looking at the GTI, you should look at the speed 3, not sure what kind of milage it gets but they are fun cars to drive.
Volvo C30 - Don't know much about them, but they are supposed to compete with the GTI and Speed 3.

I guess it all depends on what you want it for. Fun to drive, economical, combination. Go drive all of them buy the one you like driving the most, there is going to be some MPG difference, but I am assuming you know what you can afford better than any of us do.

I would suggest looking at the Kia Optima. Not sure what your budget is but fully loaded they sticker around 32 - 33K, and my brother-in-laws buddy just bought one, that didn't have a the panoramic roof for 29k (fully loaded otherwise). I have test driven it and done quite a bit of research on it and it is very nice car, and Kia isn't what I thought they were, they have come along way the past 3 or 4 years.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Check out the Nissan Altima, we had to get a new car 3 weeks back and went with the 2012 Altima. It is a nice car, plenty of Horsepower, has the new Nissan Tranny in it which is great, plenty of room, and get good MPG. My family has owned Nissan for aawhile and they are built well, great cars. Not many problems to fix, and no major ones over the 4 we have owned.

Good Luck.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I went to a road test at KC Speedway and they had pretty much all the cars that are listed. The Ford Fusion seemed to be the best out of all of them. I think most unpaid experts would agree.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron