Need a new bike

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
This has probably been posted before, but different kinds of bikes come out each year so I thought I would post it again.

Where could I find a decent bike? What kind of bike?

Here is what I'm looking for.

Majority of my riding will be on roads with some trail riding.
Not much long distance, more like 2-3 miles or so.
Want to spend around 150-250.
I don't like the feel of those skinny road tire bikes.

Suggestions?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I really like the Ducati Streetfighter but that may be a little over-kill.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
This has probably been posted before, but different kinds of bikes come out each year so I thought I would post it again.

Suggestions?

Your local bike shop should be able to provide the best help. If you visit a few in your area you'll be able to start figuring out what advice is legit and what is questionable (and I'd fully expect the majority of it to be legit).

In Ames I've had great experiences with both Skunk River Cycles and Bike World. I haven't done much with Bicycle Surplus yet, but they may have some good prices for you. If you're in another area I can't be of much help as I don't know too many other bike shops.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
Your local bike shop should be able to provide the best help. If you visit a few in your area you'll be able to start figuring out what advice is legit and what is questionable (and I'd fully expect the majority of it to be legit).

In Ames I've had great experiences with both Skunk River Cycles and Bike World. I haven't done much with Bicycle Surplus yet, but they may have some good prices for you. If you're in another area I can't be of much help as I don't know too many other bike shops.

Any good brands? I'm clueless on bikes. I used to just go to Walmart and pick up an 80$ one. I need something that will last a little longer than 6 months.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
By "trail" do you mean rec path/bike trail (generally paved) or off road single/double track dirt trails?

A true "mountain bike" can come in several types: full rigid (no suspension), hardtail (front suspension), or full suspension (front & rear); single speed, or generally anywhere from 7 to 30 speed. Wal-Mart/Target bikes will suffice if you're just cruising the rec path or want to ride w/ family or kids. Giant, Kona, Specialized, etc. will run you more money but last longer and have better components, and can be ridden harder.

Sounds like you're not a fan of road bikes so moving on...

Cyclocross bikes are relatively new, and the bike frames are pretty similar to road bikes, but a little heavier due to their designed use - some unpaved beating, carrying in a race, etc. Usually best fitted with knobby tires -- not quite hardcore mountain bike tires, but not as smooth as road tires.

To echo advice above, go to a bike shop in your area (recommend Bike World or Skunk River if you're in Ames). Get fitted for a bike, and realize that a good size in one brand may not be a good size in another brand. Test ride some bikes. Bikes have become so much more sophisticated in the last 10 years and you can really custom build your bike w/ parts, components, etc. if you know what you're doing or what you want the bike to do. A good shop will be able to help you out here.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
By "trail" do you mean rec path/bike trail (generally paved) or off road single/double track dirt trails?

A true "mountain bike" can come in several types: full rigid (no suspension), hardtail (front suspension), or full suspension (front & rear); single speed, or generally anywhere from 7 to 30 speed. Wal-Mart/Target bikes will suffice if you're just cruising the rec path or want to ride w/ family or kids. Giant, Kona, Specialized, etc. will run you more money but last longer and have better components, and can be ridden harder.

Cyclocross bikes are relatively new, and the bike frames are pretty similar to road bikes, but a little heavier due to their designed use - some unpaved beating, carrying in a race, etc. Usually best fitted with knobby tires -- not quite hardcore mountain bike tires, but not as smooth as road tires.

To echo advice above, go to a bike shop in your area (recommend Bike World or Skunk River if you're in Ames). Get fitted for a bike, and realize that a good size in one brand may not be a good size in another brand. Test ride some bikes. Bikes have become so much more sophisticated in the last 10 years and you can really custom build your bike w/ parts, components, etc. if you know what you're doing or what you want the bike to do. A good shop will be able to help you out here.

This. Well-said.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011

Wow, good information. Thanks.

Is there something called a hybrid? Something between a road and mountain bike would be good. Maybe that cyclocross you said is that. Yea, I would say like 3/4 road, 1/4 dirt trail.

I went to Bike World last year and yes, they knew their information really well, but wanted to see me a 400$ bike. It seemed like they didn't have anything else much less, or didn't want to to push it. I'm going to go back there soon.

I think I need at least partial (hardtail) suspension.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Any good brands? I'm clueless on bikes. I used to just go to Walmart and pick up an 80$ one. I need something that will last a little longer than 6 months.

I can't offer much advice on brands, but your local bike shop won't stock crap so the brand shouldn't matter too much. Plus, I think a large portion of bike frames are made by Giant, much of the transmission components are Shimano, etc (so when comparing brands it's often "variations on a theme" instead of true differences). As clone2011 wrote, go to your LBS and test ride several bikes. And get the bike fit. Having the correct adjustments makes all the difference. Many shops will do a courtesy fit if you buy a bike from them, so it hopefully shouldn't cost you anything extra.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Another note:

You can find great deals on Craigslist, but you can also find some really craptastic deals. You may find a "great" bike for $200, only to find out a week later that you need a whole new drivetrain that will run you another couple hundred, or realize that those "brand new wheels" are on their last legs. Any decent seller on CL will let you take it for a test ride, and usually for some collateral let you run it by a shop for a quick lookover. No one wants to be "that guy" who scores a sweet deal and then has to throw $300+ into the bike before his first real adventure on the trails b/c they bought a lemon.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA

Is there something called a hybrid? Something between a road and mountain bike would be good. Maybe that cyclocross you said is that. Yea, I would say like 3/4 road, 1/4 dirt trail.

I went to Bike World last year and yes, they knew their information really well, but wanted to see me a 400$ bike. It seemed like they didn't have anything else much less, or didn't want to to push it. I'm going to go back there soon.

There are hybrid bikes. They typically have a "mountain" style frame, but are lighter weight so you don't have to lug around extra weight as if you were riding something to compete in professional downhill.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007

IMO, if you're mostly on paved, hardtail is fine. Heck I rock a hardtail and ride 90% dirt trails in the mountains of CO. Full suspension is unnecessary and overkill for your purposes as you won't be doing drops or extreme downhills where that rear suspension is nice. Not to mention that generally hardtails are a little lighter than fulls, and climb better.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I spent $400 on a Trek biked from Bike World last year. It's a lot to spend, but holy crap is it nice to ride. You don't realize what how much an old, cheap bike sucks until you ride one of the more light-weight bikes.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
I spent $400 on a Trek biked from Bike World last year. It's a lot to spend, but holy crap is it nice to ride. You don't realize what how much an old, cheap bike sucks until you ride one of the more light-weight bikes.

I had the same experience when I purchased my road bike (previously had used Target/Wal-Mart bikes). The biggest thing I noticed was the quality of the drivetrain (no missed shifting, it shifts when I tell it to instead of early/late, etc.).

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008

Suggestions?

Here you go. I think you'll find it meets all of your criteria.

trek-mystic-girls-16-inch-2006-bike.jpg

Reactions: CloneAggie

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I bought a cheap bike when I first started riding and it was a big mistake. I almost got out of it completely.

Best advice I got. Buy a good beginners bike in whatever style you are looking for. Spend the extra 100 to 200. I bought a Trek 1.2 road bike after riding several different brands. The bike shop I went too in Fairmont MN did a great job of fitting me and letting me ride it several miles. I also got a good deal since a buddy of mine helps him out.

A friend of mine got a Trek 7.1 FX I think it is. It's a hard tail, does not weigh much at all, and rides extremely smooth. It's got the straight handle bars and the road tires. I was very impressed with it. I think he might of spend $500 at most for it. Might be a bit out of your price range, but well worth it.

Just remember you get what you pay for.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona

Suggestions?

My personal preference is for blonde bikes. I must have been born that way

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Look for a lightly used cyclocross bike. More narrow tires than Mt. bike but not ultra thin like a full street bike. Ultra light frame but rides very nice.

I bought a Specialized Tricross last year and really like it but new the price is well above your range.

Help Support Us

Become a patron