Need a band geek

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If by chance Iowa State does go to the Texas Bowl (or which ever one is in houston) and the band/cheer squads stay in the same hotel as last time, please be advised that the elevators in that hotel are not rated to carry 17 (or was it 18?) sousa players. Yeah. Not a good idea. I'm just glad we were at ground level.

:notworthy:

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
The sousas were the ones that broke it? The biggest thing I remember about that trip, other than the entire band nearly getting run over crossing that highway, was going the opposite way of the rest of the band with another baritone and a trumpet looking for food. Turns out that the place we went to was very heavily in favor of TCU. Other than some good natured ribbing from drunken fans, the place was great.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
If by chance Iowa State does go to the Texas Bowl (or which ever one is in houston) and the band/cheer squads stay in the same hotel as last time, please be advised that the elevators in that hotel are not rated to carry 17 (or was it 18?) sousa players. Yeah. Not a good idea. I'm just glad we were at ground level.

It was 18. We have proof on video tape :yes:

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
This thread is full of win.

Now, see.. those notes given are the 1st trumpet part. You could be cool and learn the 2nd trumpet part like me.. :yes:

Also, I attempted to talk our band director into having the trumpets do a half-valved Horn Guy tribute during the Colorado game, and although he liked the idea, he didn't let us go through with it.

And by 2nd trumpet part, you mean the only part that actually matters, right? :wink:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It was 18. We have proof on video tape :yes:

Isn't there also tape of a certain smaller sousa player hiding in the overhead luggage compartment of the charter bus and scaring people that fell asleep? Also, do you have the link to that video on youtube? I was telling somebody about it the other day and would like to show them.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Isn't there also tape of a certain smaller sousa player hiding in the overhead luggage compartment of the charter bus and scaring people that fell asleep? Also, do you have the link to that video on youtube? I was telling somebody about it the other day and would like to show them.

I'm pretty sure you mean this one...

SousaClone should remember this well :wink:

*Note: To any non-band people watching, yes, I know we're immature. We're college students! :biggrin:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNqKcMWKYpc]YouTube - Houston Bowl Bus[/ame]

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
You know, that video is that much funnier cause it happened to Joe P.

I happen to recall a certain pirate who did something similar on the trumpet bus.. except he was about 6' 2''.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
You know, that video is that much funnier cause it happened to Joe P.

I happen to recall a certain pirate who did something similar on the trumpet bus.. except he was about 6' 2''.

See the best part though is that because he was so small, he was able to shuffle himself around very quickly. Well, that and because it happened to Joe P.

CyRedClone

Nov 27, 2009
New Virginia
"I know of at least one that is a lurker on here but doesnt post much."

Thank you Alex, I now officially have become a member of CF, and not just a lurker ;)

"Also, I attempted to talk our band director into having the trumpets do a half-valved Horn Guy tribute during the Colorado game, and although he liked the idea, he didn't let us go through with it."

Its called the third trumpet part. Thank you Alex. That would be beyond true. I would know.

"Bash the clarinets all you want, we could cut them all and nobody would notice. Same thing for the piccolos."

:) I would know, but I guess I'm a traitor.

"As a side note - I don't think I ever played the correct notes for 3rd down on trombone. In fact, it's nearly impossible with the horn moves. I'm pretty sure we all played close to the same thing...but completely made up after dropping out a couple notes... :smile:

And the first piccolo to weigh in on this discussion should receive 1,000,000,000 credits. Cause we're pretty sure they don't exist on CF."

Oh EN... There is at least one that exists on here, but again, I'm a traitor.

"Piccolos and clarinets in trombone/baritone ranks were the best, until a certain prominent member of our baritone section had a very public and messy breakup with a certain staff member and suddenly we got.... tenor saxes......... Not cool."

Actually, this is way cool. Considering the baritone was a jerk. Even Alex will attest to this, and sorry, but you guys' deserved those saxes :) Even if I was the one who put them there :)

... And Joe..is right, it was 18 sousas. I remember waiting for the said elevator... for years it seemed. I cannot believe that it did not just crash and destroy our entire sousaphone section.

Also... Parker is probably more like 6'4"...at least.. and he could move through those so overhead things soo quickly.. it was creepy. Bless his heart.
It is funny that it happened to Joe P. though.

Joe W.. Miss you :) EN, hope you're doing well...

I'm pretty sure a few of you have figured out who I am by now. :)

No longer a lurker!
Go Cyclones.

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
Just an unrelated elevator story -

Kansas City Big XII's spring of '08, lobby of the hotel. Band, cheersquad, and Cy all get off the elevators and are waiting to walk down the street for a women's pep rally or game, whatever. Must have been a men's function around the same time, cause while all standing in the lobby, elevator doors open, and out walks Cy #2!!! It was like slow motion. A host of band kids yelling "Noooooooo!!!" and pushing Cy#2 back into the elevator. Oh the HORROR and mental anguish it could have caused any 5 year old cyclone fans that may have been in the lobby! :yes:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Haha, welcome to CF Casey Jo. Actually, you make *two* piccs i know on here

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny

Oh, I'm aware. I was in the lobby when the doors for the elevator opened up. That was hilarious.