NCAA rules in favor of profit for athlete's "likeness"

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It will be interesting to see what kind of rules they craft. They still might not be out of the woods yet. I wonder if they will try to cap the amount kids can make or say that they can't have the money until out of school etc.
Oh I'm sure there are still schemes to be put into play. The NCAA is going to try to sneak by as much as they can to maintain some control.

LeaveNothing

Mar 28, 2014
Boy, it is going to be such a shame that the blue bloods are going to get such an advantage in college football. Now, we might see so little parity that we will end up seeing the same 2 teams in the National Championship game 3 out of 4 years. Good thing we don't have anything like that now!

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I’m still of the opinion that ultimately this is a bad thing for the ultimate health of college sports. I really want to see expanded professional sports more similar to Europe where kids who want payed can work their way through lower leagues. That could then preserve and to an extent return college sports to what it should be.

For me the talent of the players was never the real appeal of college sports. It was the school spirit.

Hopefully we can get to a world where it all works out for everyone but I’m fearful it’s going to take a long time and a lot of growing pains. US sports will look unrecognizable in 20 years.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
When do we start seeing $10,000 autographs or $500,000 to do a local car commercial? (Probably not in Ames).

Yeah, what a great way for boosters to get cash to their favorite player. Anyone that sees this as something good needs to take a step back and look at how it will affect recruiting for non-blue blood schools. And what about women's sports? Are we going to start seeing posters of hot volleyball players in bikinis at the beach? What about that not so good looking power forward? Is it far that she can't get anything for her likeness? What do you think is going to happen when the star QB and WR sell their likeness for $75K each and the rest of the team get zinch? Don't you think there might be a little resentment there?

I understand why the NCAA caved. They are a pathetic, spineless money grab machine. As long as they get theirs anything is okay.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I’m still of the opinion that ultimately this is a bad thing for the ultimate health of college sports. I really want to see expanded professional sports more similar to Europe where kids who want payed can work their way through lower leagues. That could then preserve and to an extent return college sports to what it should be.

For me the talent of the players was never the real appeal of college sports. It was the school spirit.

Hopefully we can get to a world where it all works out for everyone but I’m fearful it’s going to take a long time and a lot of growing pains. US sports will look unrecognizable in 20 years.
There's a massive recruiting ranking industry out there that suggests that for plenty of people it IS about the talent. Look no further than this very board for evidence.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
It is going to be great for jersey sales for the university. Should be able to have names on the back (without going around the rules). Imagine the number of Niang jerseys that would have sold.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, what a great way for boosters to get cash to their favorite player. Anyone that sees this as something good needs to take a step back and look at how it will affect recruiting for non-blue blood schools. And what about women's sports? Are we going to start seeing posters of hot volleyball players in bikinis at the beach? What about that not so good looking power forward? Is it far that she can't get anything for her likeness? What do you think is going to happen when the star QB and WR sell their likeness for $75K each and the rest of the team get zinch? Don't you think there might be a little resentment there?

I understand why the NCAA caved. They are a pathetic, spineless money grab machine. As long as they get theirs anything is okay.

Yep. This will be awful for college sports long term. Will likely result in a wider gap between the haves and have nots, with athletes in major markets seeing the most benefit. And yes, some already have advantages, but that is like comparing a trickle to a firehose.

But cue the idiotic 'the same two teams are in the playoffs' arguments, that dont recognize that things could be a lot worse.

L

LincolnWay187

They should tax the **** out this if its its going to ruin college sports.

Reactions: wxman1

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Good deal. This was inevitable. Their threats to stop California schools from participating had no teeth and everyone knew it. And the writing was on the wall with other states getting into the game. The NCAA had no choice.

... commence with the slippery slope arguments

Exactly. This was fait accompli once California passed their bill into law and other states started crafting their own versions. The NCAA had no other move to make other than accept it now and try to regulate and restrict it as much as they possibly can.

I think it'll be a long, imperfect, and painful process but it's a move in the right direction for the business of college sports.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

So the NCAA was protecting these kids, huh? From getting their feelings hurt. Won't someone please think of the poor, poor, ugly players?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yep. This will be awful for college sports long term. Will likely result in a wider gap between the haves and have nots, with athletes in major markets seeing the most benefit. And yes, some already have advantages, but that is like comparing a trickle to a firehose.

But cue the idiotic 'the same two teams are in the playoffs' arguments, that dont recognize that things could be a lot worse.
So we already have a situation where a handful of teams are perennial powerhouses, what's the way this could be a lot worse?

• Agree

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
How long before boosters decrease their donations and just give it directly to the players?

Hopefully very soon.

Yeah, I mean some team in central Iowa might have one season in the history of its program with more than 8 wins.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
There's a massive recruiting ranking industry out there that suggests that for plenty of people it IS about the talent. Look no further than this very board for evidence.
It absolutely is about the talent relative to other schools but if it was truly about the ultimately best talent then people would be watching the NBA or NFL.

If the top players were removed from the equation it wouldn’t change my interest level and on a whole I don’t think it would have a large effect on college sports.

Of course you’d still have the focus on recruiting because there is a direct connection with talent and winning but not having Zion or whatever top players wouldn’t have a dramatic effect on interest.

• Agree
Reactions: aeroclone
L

LincolnWay187

So we already have a situation where a handful of teams are perennial powerhouses, what's the way this could be a lot worse?
There was at least the appearance that teams attracted the best talent based on tradition and coaches instead of only the biggest paycheck. Is this going to filter down to high schools?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
There was at least the appearance that teams attracted the best talent based on tradition and coaches instead of only the biggest paycheck.
And that's what satisfied you? The appearance that money wasn't a factor even though we all know already is for the top recruits?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

That gap can get much wider. How is this hard to understand?

Look at say.. the competitiveness of CFB\MBB vs the competitiveness of women's basketball.

• Disagree