***NCAA First Round: (7) Iowa State vs. (10) Maryland [Fri., 6:30 CT]***

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Who: Iowa State (20-11, 12-6 Big 12) vs. Maryland (19-13, 9-9 Big Ten)
Where: Maples Pavilion – Stanford, California
When: Friday, March 22, 2024 – 6:30 p.m. CT

The Links
WATCH:
ESPN2
PxP: Roy Philpott
Analyst: Brooke Weisbrod

LISTEN: Cyclone Radio Network – Varsity App or Radio Affiliates
PxP: Noah Wolf
Analyst: Jamie Steyer Johnson

GAME NOTES: Iowa State | Maryland

LIVE STATS

NCAA TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE - Friday, March 22 (all times CT)
10:30 a.m. (ESPN2) - (9) Michigan State vs (8) North Carolina (at Columbia, SC)
11:00 a.m. (ESPN) - (15) Maine at (2) Ohio State
12:30 (ESPN2) - (11) Middle Tennessee vs (6) Louisville (at Baton Rouge, LA)
1:00 (ESPN) - (16) Presbyterian at (1) South Carolina
1:30 (ESPNews) - (10) Richmond vs (7) Duke (at Columbus, OH)
2:00 (ESPNU) - (16) Drexel at (1) Texas
2:30 (ESPN2) - (13) Marshall at (4) Virginia Tech
3:00 (ESPN) - (14) Rice at (3) LSU
3:30 (ESPNews) - (13) Portland at (4) Kansas State
4:30 (ESPN2) - (9) Florida State vs (8) Alabama (at Austin, TX)
5:00 (ESPNU) - (12) Vanderbilt vs (5) Baylor (at Blacksburg, VA)
6:00 (ESPNews) - (12) Drake vs (5) Colorado (at Manhattan, KS)
6:30 (ESPN2) - (10) Maryland vs (7) Iowa State (at Stanford, CA)
7:00 (ESPNU) - (14) Eastern Washington at (3) Oregon State
9:00 (ESPN2) - (15) Norfolk State at (2) Stanford
9:30 (ESPNU) - (11) Texas A&M vs (6) Nebraska (at Corvallis, OR)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Go Cyclones! With this young team any success they have in the tournament is gravy. Good experience for all of these young players. I don't think the moment will be too big for them considering their performance in the Big 12 Tourney.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Such a different feel from last year. Just felt like so much pressure and so forced. Really have to appreciate the mindset of such a youthful team this season. Interested how we utilize Audi as she should get plenty of scoring opportunities against a smaller Maryland team, but also who/how she will defend.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Thanks Shadow!!
The ladies are playing with house money. This season was already so much more than I expected. Time to make some turtle soup tonight. GO CYCLONES!!!

Reactions: WartburgClone

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I see this game as a toss-up. We'll stay close but, could be a win or a loss.

The thing that scares me is that Brenda will be ready for BF. She said as much after the draw was announced. (I know what he runs, what he wants to do etc.) She may even out coach Bill

This has been a heck of a season, whatever awaits tonight!!

Clones win 68-66

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I haven't done much of a deep dive on Maryland. I've heard that they have little to no post presence, so hopefully that means Audi has a hay day today.

Still, Brenda Frese is a great coach so I am not 100% confident in a win and how can you be, when March is always crazy?

That said, go Cyclones!

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
My understanding is Maryland is physical. Kind of like a Texas team with much less post presence. I'm hoping Audi has a very big night!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Such a different feel from last year. Just felt like so much pressure and so forced. Really have to appreciate the mindset of such a youthful team this season. Interested how we utilize Audi as she should get plenty of scoring opportunities against a smaller Maryland team, but also who/how she will defend.

Last year looked to be joyless on the court. The new "kids" look to be having more fun playing, like enjoying the game they are playing is okay.

Good point on Audi, that might cut both ways. Going to be a good matchup to watch.

• Agree
Reactions: ZorkClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My understanding is Maryland is physical. Kind of like a Texas team with much less post presence. I'm hoping Audi has a very big night!

I haven't seen them much this year but recent years has been them just trying to outscore everyone while playing little defense. Not like they don't have the athletes to play defense, they just went mor e up-tempo. Was pointed out by another poster in another thread here that they played better defense late half of Big Ten and that may be what got them off the bubble.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Nebraska is a team like ISU, they shoot a LOT of threes and have good post play. They beat Maryland in the Big Ten tournament by 10 but it was a one point game at the end of the third quarter. Husker post Alexis Markowski had only 9 points but she was on he bench a lot in foul trouble IIRC. Husker power forward Potts was also in foul trouble. Markowski did have 13 rebounds in 25 minutes so posts can do well against them if they can stay on the court. Huskers shot 13-28 from three with their guard Shelly Jazz hitting 5 of them.

Their first meeting for Huskers versus Maryland in the Big Ten opener was Huskers 87-81 with three Terrapins fouling out. Markowski and Potts (Huskers Crooks/Brown) combined for 37 points and 23 rebounds. The paint looks to be there if we can keep our gals on the court and not in foul trouble.

Disclaimer: Just Friday musings from a random fan.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Last year looked to be joyless on the court. The new "kids" look to be having more fun playing, like enjoying the game they are playing is okay.

Good point on Audi, that might cut both ways. Going to be a good matchup to watch.
Bill said in an interview this past week that last year, the tank was empty when they played Toledo. I think that was a product of using everything they had to win the Big 12 tourney and the immense pressure the team and CBF put on themselves after the Sweet 16 run.

As for this year, everything now is purely a bonus.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Bill said in an interview this past week that last year, the tank was empty when they played Toledo. I think that was a product of using everything they had to win the Big 12 tourney and the immense pressure the team and CBF put on themselves after the Sweet 16 run.

As for this year, everything now is purely a bonus.
Thinking back that is a pretty good description "Empty tank" Had there been a little more time off after the high of the BIG 12 Championship things may have gone better.

Reactions: wbbnut

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thinking back that is a pretty good description "Empty tank" Had there been a little more time off after the high of the BIG 12 Championship things may have gone better.

One advantage of having the tournament game a bit earlier. And for seeding I've been saying for years that weekend games before the final selection don't matter much to the committee, they are pretty much set with their seeds/locations. Like this year how it didn't move the seed needle one iota for the men. However, playing much earlier did help the women off the 8/9 slot and even moved Texas WBB to #1. So, with the change the Big 12 WBB tournament seems to actually matter now for the NCAA's. Same was likely true for Maryland, the earlier Big Ten tournament helped finish their move off the bubble.

Edit: I need to find something to do, I am thinking about this to much! :rolleyes:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Just bumping this since I had to look a while to find it.

Not sure what to expect from our young team but happy for a break from Seth Davis and Clark Kellogg

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Got ticket to comedy show awhile back. Knew it was in March but thought date of 22nd wouldn't be first second rounds. I'll only get to probably see the first quarter.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Good vibes coming into this weekend. Hopefully the shots are falling. I’m hoping it’s reminiscent of the OU game in KC

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Regular starters for ISU:

2 Jackson
11 Ryan
13 Belanger
24 Brown
55 Crooks