NBA Top Shot

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'm up to 29 moments now. With a THT moment in my most recent pack!!

Are you going after the Rare pack drop today? I didn't qualify as I only had 10 moments when they did the snapshot. I really want to get into one of the Rare drops, but I guess I may have to invest more than my beginning $15 to do so.

Javinegli

Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I am not. I told myself that I will spend my current balance in my account and hold from then on. I'm down to $1 in my balance. I've been able to get a pack in every drop, never dropping below in the queue.
Are you going after the Rare pack drop today? I didn't qualify as I only had 10 moments when they did the snapshot. I really want to get into one of the Rare drops, but I guess I may have to invest more than my beginning $15 to do so.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Question for anyone who understands NFTs better than me: when you buy an NFT from NBA Top Shot, do you own exclusive rights to the digital content you purchased? Can the NBA still use that content through other avenues like posting that clip on their Youtube page or showing it during one of their broadcasts?
I'm guessing NBA still has rights to the content. This seems similar to trading cards where Top Shot is like Upper Deck and other sports NFTs are Fleer or Tops. It's more about owning the specific brand/item rather than owning exclusive content.

Reactions: CycloneWarrior

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
Trading cards is a pretty good analogy. NFT's are a unique thing and will have value as long as people think it will go up. As soon as people no longer value them they will be worthless. They may retain value in the way a souvenir does but only if it is linked to something important to the owner. It remains to be seen how it will go once the initial enthusiasm is over with.

In my opinion, this is also being pushed across a variety of entertainment based industries (Art, Sports, Music, etc) to create a new variably valued asset with no inherent net worth that can be used for money laundering in the same way that art has been used for for money laundering by the rich and powerful for ages. For example. If I pay Bob $8m for his Painting of Elvis or for his NFT of Elvis we have exchanged something publicly for the $8m to provide a paper trail for the banks, the IRS, Customs, etc. No record of anything else that was exchanged under the table exists. Since the value is completely subjective it's hard for say it wasn't worth $8m. Especially if there is a large market of items constantly being exchanged for huge dollars.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Sold my THT moment today. I couldn't resist, as it had shot up to $23 since he hit his game winner and has had consecutive double doubles. I figure it will settle back down to that $13 range where I purchased it.

I don't plan on holding any moments that I don't really want past the playoffs as I can't imagine them holding much value until the season starts again.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'm not sure if anyone is still in this, but Monte's moment is going nuts today. The lowest ask for it at one point was $39. It has been around $5. I'm thinking of flipping mine today. I'm sure the value will come back down on it.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Topshot is dropping their first WNBA packs tomorrow. If you pick up an A’Ja Wilson moment in the marketplace you are guaranteed a spot in the first drop. Otherwise they have another drop with 50,000ish packs available. I’m guessing you’ll get a pretty decent return with it being the first set of the collection.

I picked up the Wilson moment around $70. I watched the market fluctuate from $300 this afternoon all the way down to $40 tonight.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I did the Topps MLB one. I got a rare Carlos Correa moment. $20 for the pack and its sold at $50ish I believe with listings around $200. I figure I'll wait til the season actually starts and he signs somewhere to see if there's any more movement. At worst I'm out $20 for a gif I guess.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Are these like 1 of 1, or is it more like trading cards?
Right now the “common” moments have 8000 replications. There are rare then legendary moments with less available. Even though there are 8000 common moments, they haven’t released Most of them. I feel like there will be a good window to sell these.