NBA Draft 2014

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I hate to be a Marble defender, but you guys act like they drafted some dude at the rec league. Marble has the size and ability to be a quality NBA player. Also, you have to look at the fact that he was literally the only creator on his team last year. I think he may be able to flourish even more when he isn't called upon to do all of the creating.

I could see him as a Danny Green type going forward.

HerkClone

Sep 20, 2012
Royce White may have hurt his street cred with NBA execs.

this is certainly a point worth noting.

Hoiberg obviously went out on a limb for Royce White to get drafted.

maybe the NBA executives no longer trust Hoiberg to give them the straight scoop on players.

It certainly makes sense why Kane wasnt drafted then. Character counts.

This could have an impact going forward on attracting the rogues to Ames if the NBA starts black balling them.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.... Jay Bilas had Marble rated higher.....

Bilas had rate one spot higher than Marble. Essentially rating them the same, but who knows where he would have had them if they were both 21? And Marble only goes five spots from being out of the draft.
If it's a 65 man draft, Kane, and maybe even Ejim are in there.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Asik and Scola
Game changers, folks. Maybe Ibaka. Marc and Pau Gasol had bad injury years. Scola was overpaid in his trade for his production. Nene looked good at times. Maybe Boris Diaw was the man to gety his team over the hump. Asaik and Gortat seemed like first half players.

The goto guys in the fourth quarter are Kobe, LeBron, Westbrook, Derrick, Kevin, Damien, Dirk, and a few others.

End of the game game changer from overseas Who is the Man is Dirk and maybe Ginobli and this year perhaps Diaw and Ibaka. That is about it.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
this is certainly a point worth noting.

Hoiberg obviously went out on a limb for Royce White to get drafted.

maybe the NBA executives no longer trust Hoiberg to give them the straight scoop on players.

It certainly makes sense why Kane wasnt drafted then. Character counts.

This could have an impact going forward on attracting the rogues to Ames if the NBA starts black balling them.

...what? First, how in the hell could you know what Fred told NBA teams? It's entirely plausible that Royce, a top 10 talent, could have gone at 16 or whatever it was because he was simply too talented to pass up on. You really think Fred told all these NBA teams "yah, you got nothing to worry about with him." If anything, I imagine he said he hasn't caused us any problems, but it's not incumbent on Fred to predict he would have a breakdown and refuse to play...

Second, you think any GM in the NBA is going to refuse to take a player out of some spite for Fred Hoiberg because ONE TEAM drafted Royce and it didn't work out? The Miami Heat didn't draft Deandre because the Houston Rockets wasted a pick 2 years ago?

Last edited:

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
What is Marble? 22/23? Kane is 25? right? Can't believe that is considered old considered who just won the NBA finals.
Marble is 21 which means that when he completes his 3/4 year rookie contract he may still be younger than Kane is right now.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Game changers, folks. Maybe Ibaka. Marc and Pau Gasol had bad injury years. Scola was overpaid in his trade for his production. Nene looked good at times. Maybe Boris Diaw was the man to gety his team over the hump. Asaik and Gortat seemed like first half players.

The goto guys in the fourth quarter are Kobe, LeBron, Westbrook, Derrick, Kevin, Damien, Dirk, and a few others.

End of the game game changer from overseas Who is the Man is Dirk and maybe Ginobli and this year perhaps Diaw and Ibaka. That is about it.

Scola and Asik are better than the typical mid to late first rounder. Why do they need to be better than NBA all stars to prove they're worthy of draft picks?

This year's draft was kind of stacked, see a guy like Early dropping to the second round. There weren't many players in last year's first round who will pan out better than Asik and Scola who you dismiss.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I think the the biggest thing for me is I think this hurts Hoiberg's Street cred a bit. (not that he we won't be completely fine. It just makes it easier to say we just had 2 guys get drafted last year alone) Guys are flocking to him because they say he knows how to get them to the next level. We just had the Big12 POY and newcomer of the year go undrafted. So I hope they can make it somewhere undrafted. If I understand this right a 2nd round Draft Pick doesn't get a contract anyway? The team just owns his draft rights? meaning he either gets let go, signed or traded to someone else before he gets a contract. So in some cases a free agent may work out better.
You can look at it from any angle. Either he a) just had the Big 12 POY and NOY go undrafted or he b) runs a system where guys that aren't good enough to get drafted won POY and NOY in the toughest conference in basketball. The primary knocks on Kane (age) and Ejim (tweener size) and not basketball related and in no way could ever be used to negatively reflect on Hoiberg or ISU basketball. Sure it would be great for the program to have them drafted but it's definitely not a knock on the program that they weren't.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Oh good lord. How many of the kind of guys you are talking about are in the draft AT ALL in any given year, much less just from Europe? 1-2 in a decent average draft? This is about the dumbest anti-Euro argument I've ever seen.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Jesus ****** - what a thread. You'd have thought Stephen Hawking got drafted ahead of Kane and Ejim. Never seen so many babies whining about Marble getting drafted ahead of Ejim and Kane. Guy was a first team all Big Ten player - not a complete scrub who plays at Beyer once a week.

- He was rated higher by almost all sites and analysts
- He has better size than both
- He isn't even 22 yet with 4 years of starting experience in college bball
- This wasn't a surprise at all

We got to the sweet sixteen, Iowa lost the play in game. Enjoy that. Enjoy that we will have Niang and Morris get drafted. McKay too. Quit ********.

Reactions: roundball

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
this is certainly a point worth noting. Hoiberg obviously went out on a limb for Royce White to get drafted. maybe the NBA executives no longer trust Hoiberg to give them the straight scoop on players. It certainly makes sense why Kane wasnt drafted then. Character counts. This could have an impact going forward on attracting the rogues to Ames if the NBA starts black balling them.
Good grief. Come on, man. Royce White had nothing to do with this. Kane is 25. End of story. There isn't some crazy conspiracy afloat. NBA GM's can't afford to be jacking around with dumb stuff like that when their jobs are on the line. NBA teams aren't wasting a draft pick on a 25 year old when they know they can pick him up as a undrafted FA after the draft and send him to summer league to see what he can do. I fully expect to see Kane sign with a team and head off to summer league and claw his way onto a roster somewhere.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
You can look at it from any angle. Either he a) just had the Big 12 POY and NOY go undrafted or he b) runs a system where guys that aren't good enough to get drafted won POY and NOY in the toughest conference in basketball. The primary knocks on Kane (age) and Ejim (tweener size) and not basketball related and in no way could ever be used to negatively reflect on Hoiberg or ISU basketball. Sure it would be great for the program to have them drafted but it's definitely not a knock on the program that they weren't.

Agree. It actually speaks to FH and his ability to coach guys up. Two guys not even drafted were on the same B12 first team with the #1, #3 and #6 overall picks. Let that sink in.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
When will we know if ejim and Kane end up on a roster? Do we have to wait till July 1st free agency period?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Marble is 21 which means that when he completes his 3/4 year rookie contract he may still be younger than Kane is right now.

Right, and it also means the Nuggets see him as young enough to string along in the D-league for a few years if he doesn't make the team this year. Kane is probably just enough older that if he doesn't catch on with a team right away, he maybe sticks around a year at most before he bolts to Europe to cash in on his prime.

HerkClone

Sep 20, 2012
...what? First, how in the hell could you know what Fred told NBA teams? It's entirely plausible that Royce, a top 10 talent, could have gone at 16 or whatever it was because he was simply too talented to pass up on. You really think Fred told all these NBA teams "yah, you got nothing to worry about with him." If anything, I imagine he said he hasn't caused us any problems, but it's not incumbent on Fred to predict he would have a breakdown and refuse to play...

Second, you think any GM in the NBA is going to refuse to take a player out of some spite for Fred Hoiberg because ONE TEAM drafted Royce and it didn't work out? The Miami Heat didn't draft Deandre because the Houston Rockets wasted a pick 2 years ago?

Trust is a huge deal. Burn me once, shame on you. ....burn me twice....

You know the rest.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Right, and it also means the Nuggets see him as young enough to string along in the D-league for a few years if he doesn't make the team this year. Kane is probably just enough older that if he doesn't catch on with a team right away, he maybe sticks around a year at most before he bolts to Europe to cash in on his prime.

Not the Nuggets. The Magic.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Oh good lord. How many of the kind of guys you are talking about are in the draft AT ALL in any given year, much less just from Europe? 1-2 in a decent average draft? This is about the dumbest anti-Euro argument I've ever seen.

There's never been a Euro guy better than LeBron, they should just stop drafting them altogether.