Nasty rumor about ames dining

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Exactly how did the City force people to locate on Duff?

Its now WDM's fault that something didnt flood?

Too many people who don't know what they are talking about...

Last edited:

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
I'm not sure what the city government has to do with this.

Enlighten me.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm not sure what the city government has to do with this.

Enlighten me.

You see the city decides how much dirt to put and where. That determines how high some area are and how low others are - oh wait that was me in Sim City.... yeah I have no clue how this is the fault of the city :no:

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I have never had a problem with La Fuente's service in the 129,238,239 times I have been there... Plus their food is way better than O'Maleys... They just didn't have the 'talent' O'Malley's had...

La Fuente's food is absolute pig slop compared to O'Malley's. They had the best fajitas in town, best fajitas I've ever had to be quite honest.

The only thing La Fuente's has going for them is the giant margaritas.

I went there once with a spanish speaking friend and found out that the servers insult you in spanish just about every time they come to the table.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I went there once with a spanish speaking friend and found out that the servers insult you in spanish just about every time they come to the table.

Come on! I don't buy it. It would be a bit risky on their part to just assume that customers can't speak spanish.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
La Fuente's food is absolute pig slop compared to O'Malley's. They had the best fajitas in town, best fajitas I've ever had to be quite honest.

The only thing La Fuente's has going for them is the giant margaritas.

If you prefer Americanized Mexican food then ya, O'Malley's was ok, but it's no different than Carlos O'Kelly's. La Fuente is much closer to authentic Mexican...

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Let me break this in to bite-sized nuggets. The City of Ames has zoning regulations that control commercial growth. One of these primary areas is located on the South Duff flood plain. The reason Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Borders are located in this area is because the city wants to control where these businesses can locate. Businesses can't just choose to build somewhere, their choices are limited to where the city says it's ok.

If any of you have lived in this area for the past 15 years, you realize that the flooding on South Duff while not common is not a rare occurrence. While my point may not pertain specifically to McGee's I do believe that the leadership in Ames is preoccupied with stifling development of areas that are less prone to flooding east of the Interstate or to the north of the City while really doing nothing to alleviate the problems associated with South Duff. I used the example of Valley Junction because that was an area that was decimated by the floods of '93. West Des Moines installed flood control measures including flood gates to make sure that it wouldn't as big of a problem was it was in that infamous '93 flood.

My whole point was that it is clear to me that flooding is going to continue to be a problem and instead of continuing to limit businesses to commercial zones that have little or no flood protection they should either open up new areas to allow businesses to locate or make an effort to have man-made flood control measures in the areas that they are comfortable with growth. Sitting on our collective hands isn't going to make this problem go away.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Let me break this in to bite-sized nuggets. The City of Ames has zoning regulations that control commercial growth. One of these primary areas is located on the South Duff flood plain. The reason Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Borders are located in this area is because the city wants to control where these businesses can locate. Businesses can't just choose to build somewhere, their choices are limited to where the city says it's ok.

If any of you have lived in this area for the past 15 years, you realize that the flooding on South Duff while not common is not a rare occurrence. While my point may not pertain specifically to McGee's I do believe that the leadership in Ames is preoccupied with stifling development of areas that are less prone to flooding east of the Interstate or to the north of the City while really doing nothing to alleviate the problems associated with South Duff. I used the example of Valley Junction because that was an area that was decimated by the floods of '93. West Des Moines installed flood control measures including flood gates to make sure that it wouldn't as big of a problem was it was in that infamous '93 flood.

My whole point was that it is clear to me that flooding is going to continue to be a problem and instead of continuing to limit businesses to commercial zones that have little or no flood protection they should either open up new areas to allow businesses to locate or make an effort to have man-made flood control measures in the areas that they are comfortable with growth. Sitting on our collective hands isn't going to make this problem go away.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
How long have the older businesses that were affected by the flooding been there? What I mean is, since Target and Wal-Mart had to meet requirements to build there, did McGee's, the Bowling Alley, and other older places not have to do that?

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Back in high school (late 80's) my buddies and I would go in there just to talk to the waitress'. I wish I would've recorded those conversations as my friends tried to hit on these college waitress'. I just remember they use to have all hotties working there.

Food was good and atmosphere was great for a first date. I'll miss that option of eating there.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Wally World had to bring in 4 feet of dirt to be considered above the flood plain. Anyone building or doing extensive remodeling in the flood plain in Ames is now required to raise the dirt level to above the flood plain in order to receive a building permit.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The problem is this... Didn't Wal-Mart AND Target have to meet certain requirements regarding the build up of the land to satisfy flooding concerns?

From prior posts, it didn't apper to save Wal-Mart. They lost power due to the flood, and lost their refrigerated goods.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
I always enjoyed the enchiladas especial with fried egg. Maybe not completely authentic, but 100% delicious.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
The city shut off the power for safety reasons.

Is that true?

653-7175.gif