Nasty rumor about ames dining

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
now what is everyone going to do for mexican in that town? forget okellys. and lafuenta is about the worst service i have ever experienced in any restaurant. what else is there?

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
The best place to eat in Ames is off the BBQ in the parking lot at JTS. Restaurants come and go, but tailgating is forever.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
now what is everyone going to do for mexican in that town? forget okellys. and lafuenta is about the worst service i have ever experienced in any restaurant. what else is there?

I have never had a problem with La Fuente's service in the 129,238,239 times I have been there... Plus their food is way better than O'Maleys... They just didn't have the 'talent' O'Malley's had...

birdflu

Nov 14, 2006
Iowa

El Azteca out on Dayton (by the hotels) has great service and great food. Cazador is good, but it can be hit or miss on the service there.

Neither has the Mahi Mahi tacos I was getting at O'Malleys though :sad:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
A nasty rumor would be that there are rats at the HP.

Applebee's has rats!!! I found a whole rat in my cobb salad!

ifyouaintfirstyourelast.jpg

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I think that you can somewhat blame the Ames government for forcing all of the businesses to locate on Duff in a floodplane. Any surprise that the flooding was terrible even though there wasn't tons of rain? Well, when you build a Target, Super Walmart and move all that dirt for the aquatic center where the water used to go, it has to go somewhere. So, you see streets like Stange and Duff closing because there was water running over them.

Too bad about O'Malley's. I loved their fajitas. The owners are big Cyclone fans too. Pretty sure they own Wallaby's and Dublin Bay. Hopefully they relocate. It sure looks like a bunch of commercial space will be opening up soon...the new mall, the outdoor section of the old mall, other areas off of 13th by I35, not to mention the new section of S. 16th (although that is in a floodplane as well), possibly Airport Rd. There's still some space in Sommerset too.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Never a big fan of O'Malley's but I don't like to see the loss of any food choices in Ames. Catch Cazador or El Azteca for your mexican fix. Don't go near La Fuente unless you are a bunch of drunk sorority girls who think their hot with fish bowl margaritas.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Any surprise that the flooding was terrible even though there wasn't tons of rain?

I'd say that 3+ inches of rain in one day qualifies as a large amount. The entire area between Ames and Fort Dodge has gotten between 4 and 8 inches over the last week.

pthebutcher

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 14, 2006
Portland
I think that you can somewhat blame the Ames government for forcing all of the businesses to locate on Duff in a floodplane. Any surprise that the flooding was terrible even though there wasn't tons of rain? Well, when you build a Target, Super Walmart and move all that dirt for the aquatic center where the water used to go, it has to go somewhere. So, you see streets like Stange and Duff closing because there was water running over them.

As a meteorology graduate student I'll have to respectfully disagree and say that the 4+ inches of rain we received in less than 24 hours is actually considered a "ton of rain".

I would also say that this immense volume of water had a much greater effect on the flooding than moving dirt for the aquatic center.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I'd say that 3+ inches of rain in one day qualifies as a large amount. The entire area between Ames and Fort Dodge has gotten between 4 and 8 inches over the last week.

I don't think that 3" should cause that much flooding. Of course, most of the water came from up north. But the city government does share some of the blame for forcing businesses to locate in the floodplane.

pthebutcher

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 14, 2006
Portland
I don't think that 3" should cause that much flooding. Of course, most of the water came from up north. But the city government does share some of the blame for forcing businesses to locate in the floodplane.

When the soil is at about 40% water content, which it was before we even got the 4+ inches of rain, it is considered nearly saturated. When the soil is saturated any additional water that is added will very quickly runoff into local streams and rivers. So basically that 4+ inches of rain very quickly entered the streams and rivers instead of slowly running off into them like usual.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
I worked at O'Malley's when I was in school. The talent was, indeed, fantastic and the employee-partying after the doors closed was not for the faint of heart.