My thoughts on the hillside

outcydethebox

Aug 27, 2009
I think it is great that ISU has hillside seating. Having hillside tickets to two games now though I have come across a few issues.

My first issue is the kids running around, without a parent in sight, some extremely young, throwing footballs, hitting people with them, running into, and over people. I don't think that this should be allowed. These kids don't say thank you, or excuse me, or I'm sorry. I take my kids to the games and I don't let them act like that. They stay with me. I'm sorry but it is also a dangerous thing for these kids to be running around by themselves. My son has been hit with a football, I have been slammed into twice while holding my one year old, and it is not because the it is crowded.

My other issue is the people who spit, and throw their trash all over the hillside. Disgusting! There are trashcans everywhere.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Just chuck the football right back at 'em. 2-pt conversion if they tumble to the bottom of the hill.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I agree with you on on both points.

I don't allow my kids to be running around during the game but I don't mind other kids playing football as long as they stay away from those watching the game and watch what they are doing. Which they really don't do well. They should probably just stay out in the parking lot if they want to play and not watch the game. They would be getting just as much parental supervision out there.

I picked up all of my garbage while sitting on the hill and even picked up some others around me on the way out. The only problem was I didn't come across a garbage can to throw it away until I was outside the stadium. I guess that is why they have groups to get paid to clean the stadium after the game.

Reactions: outcydethebox

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I think it is great that ISU has hillside seating. Having hillside tickets to two games now though I have come across a few issues.

My first issue is the kids running around, without a parent in sight, some extremely young, throwing footballs, hitting people with them, running into, and over people. I don't think that this should be allowed. These kids don't say thank you, or excuse me, or I'm sorry. I take my kids to the games and I don't let them act like that. They stay with me. I'm sorry but it is also a dangerous thing for these kids to be running around by themselves. My son has been hit with a football, I have been slammed into twice while holding my one year old, and it is not because the it is crowded.

My other issue is the people who spit, and throw their trash all over the hillside. Disgusting! There are trashcans everywhere.

as D1 football goes we are pretty unique that this is allowed. How many other D1 programs have kids playing football inside the stadium???

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I wish they would "bowl in" the hillside. I wonder how much it would cost to create 15' high concrete walls and then add dirt to the inside of it. I think it would greatly improve the viewing angle - especially by the Jacobson building.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
This has been going on since Jack Trice opened. Kids have been playing football and running around on the hillsides forever. Its part of its draw.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
This has been going on since Jack Trice opened. Kids have been playing football and running around on the hillsides forever. Its part of its draw.

yes, agree. it is not new. I am not for or against it but you have to admit, it is pretty unique.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Tried hillside tickets for the first time last year against Kent State. Will never do it again for several of the aforementioned reasons. I consider it a lesson learned.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA

This may have been going on since JT opened but there wasn't 50,000 people in the stadium. Heck in the 80's and early 90's you could play football in the stands on some saturdays and not run into another person.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006

I think the difference is that the hillsides have been more crowded over the past few years than they were at some times before that. I can remember a time when kids would roll from the top of the hill to the bottom. At the three games so far this year a kid couldn't have done that without hitting a few hundred people on the way down.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I agree. No fun should be allowed at football games.

Or, perhaps, those people that paid to see the game shouldn't have to put up with the distractions of an 8 year old chucking a football into your face while you are focused on watching the game. Now, I'm not opposed to 8 year olds playing football. It's just there's a time and a place, and the hillsides of JTS are hardly either of those.

Reactions: outcydethebox

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
If you buy hillside tickets, you know what you are getting. That is why it has always been cheaper. If you want a seat, buy a seat.

I think hillside is great for kids and families.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
This may have been going on since JT opened but there wasn't 50,000 people in the stadium. Heck in the 80's and early 90's you could play football in the stands on some saturdays and not run into another person.

I know, I've run from Section O to R before following a long TD run.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
1st year with hillside seats. I thought it would be better than I thought, but we took my 3 year old for the first time this past weekend and I have to admit he enjoyed being able to move around.

We sat on the NW corner the first two games and I hated the viewing angle. We sat in the SW corner last weekend and the viewing angle was great, but couldn't see the scoreboard. I think we need to get in the stadium a little earlier to get over to the side more so I can see the replay screen.

I do miss our section in L. When my son gets older we'll move back in the stands.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Kids who want to throw a football should do so on the grass hills outside of the concession stands IMO.

But some of my best memories of ISU games were sitting on the grass hills in my childhood playing football.

outcydethebox

Aug 27, 2009
This thread was intended to let out my thoughts, and to let anyone who was weighing out the hillside debate to know one take on the subject. Had I read things like this before getting the tickets, I wouldn't have. I will not purchase them again. We have seats for the remainder of this years game. I am still glad that we were at the games.

I read the argument that the hillsides were good for families. Maybe they are for quite a few families, but nearly getting knocked over with my 1 year old in my arms, because of being slammed into by a boy who was between 10 and 13 is not ok for my family. My 7 year old getting hit in the back with a football, is not ok for my family. Like I said I just will not be purchasing hillside tickets again. I am glad for those people that like it. I also wish that these kids had some manners as well. None of them say excuse me, or appoligise. If I caught my son acting in that manner, he would swallow the whole bar of soap. I am only 26 so I'm not from another time or something, I just believe in making my kids behave. Undisciplined children is something you see more and more everywhere though. That in my opinion is the reason for the hightened crime rates across the country. I don't even spank my children, but my 7 year old does know to be polite and use his manners.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
Or, perhaps, those people that paid to see the game shouldn't have to put up with the distractions of an 8 year old chucking a football into your face while you are focused on watching the game. Now, I'm not opposed to 8 year olds playing football. It's just there's a time and a place, and the hillsides of JTS are hardly either of those.
Why don't you shake your cane at them while you're at it? :wink:

I think the hillsides serve a great purpose. And I think with the introduction and success of the Li'l Clone club, we're going to see more kids on the hillsides. I also agree that those who buy hillside tickets should be aware that it's a family area and if your intent is to sit and watch the game uninterrupted, then those maybe aren't the tickets for you.

At this time, I'm not ready to bring my kids to a football game at JT. They're just too young, but I hope in another year or two we can start. I'm assuming we'll probably sit on the hillsides. I'll do my best to teach them to be safe and respectful of those around them, but they're kids. I'm not going to force them to sit and watch the game if they don't want to - that would cause even more problems than letting them run around. I want to expose them to Cyclone football and have them experience JT at an early age rather than wait until they're teenagers (and still not willing to sit through an entire game) to do so.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Fair enough, but you will have to expect differing opinions on your rant. You would also have to expect people to post those opinions when you post yours on a message board.

So, don't get bent out of shape when that happens.

Help Support Us

Become a patron