Mt. Rushmore of ISU Athletics

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
There shouldn’t be a single football coach on the list (yet). Campbell could get there. But not yet.

Also, I know it’s blasphemy and I understand what he means based on when he took over, but Orr was barely over .500 and had one winning conference season in his time. I guess if it’s based on personality and not as much on accomplishment?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
There shouldn’t be a single football coach on the list (yet). Campbell could get there. But not yet.

Also, I know it’s blasphemy and I understand what he means based on when he took over, but Orr was barely over .500 and had one winning conference season in his time. I guess if it’s based on personality and not as much on accomplishment?

Without Orr there is no Hilton Magic. Sometimes you have to look beyond numbers and look at legacy and impressions left on the university/fanbase.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Johnny took over a program that hadn’t done anything in 40 years and got them back to the tournament. Also gave ISU basketball an identity.

Without Mac’s body of work we’re KU football right now. Getting ISU back to bowls and ending the one-sidedness of the UI rivalry was important.

The legacy of both guys goes beyond a simplistic wins/losses.

I do think Campbell had been the best football coach at giving the program an identity.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think JP has to be the top of the list. Has he been perfect? no. Has he always made a good hire? No. Anyone who knows where we were in 2004 vs where we are now knows just how far we've come as an athletic department.

I'd go:

1. Pollard
2. Jack Trice
3. Bill Fennelly
4. Johnny Orr

HM: Hoiberg (left us great memories as a player and coach), Dan McCarney, Cael Sanderson (sucks how he left but perfection as an athlete is amazing), Gary Thompson, Pete Taylor, John Walters, Eric Heft.

@mynameisjonas would love to hear reasoning rather than just "dumb"....hate the dumb button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
@mynameisjonas would love to hear reasoning rather than just "dumb"....hate the dumb button.
There are some people that will never respond and just hit the dumb button for everything. Always thought a good idea would be to give whoever uses the dumb button the most over a week, a week vacation. There has to be some people that have used it thousands of times. I have never used it, figure it is better to explain why I disagree than just say dumb. Seems like a third grade response.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
There are some people that will never respond and just hit the dumb button for everything. Always thought a good idea would be to give whoever uses the dumb button the most over a week, a week vacation. There has to be some people that have used it thousands of times. I have never used it, figure it is better to explain why I disagree than just say dumb. Seems like a third grade response.

Especially when my post had more than one opinion. What part of it was dumb? Let's have some discussion, not just label it and move on. Much like society these days.

Reactions: BCClone

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I need to learn more about the part before the 9:29. Where Floyd allegedly struggles to get into the squad car. Hearing conflicting information and haven't seen that footage.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
if i was doing just coaches i would have

harold nichols
johnny orr
bill fennelly
campbell (this could be mac, too)

was talking to my friend about this and that's why i found the thread.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron