Mt. Rushmore of ISU Athletics

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
C'mon.... only two individuals truly belong on ISU's Mount Rushmore.....

Steele Jantz....

1616971656206.png

and Jackson Vroman (RIP).....

1616971886002.png

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Hoiberg
Troy Davis
Brock Purdy (assuming we get what I think we will out of his senior season)
Not sure about the fourth, maybe Fizer?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Wow! That's a good list. Tinsley had a chance until he missed that layup....:mad:

Just to expand upon them slightly...

Jack Trice was the obvious first choice. His story personifies and his words define everything there is about being a Cyclone, and his life and death is more relevant now than ever.

Troy Davis and Marcus Fizer achieved the highest individual honors of any player in the history of the two most important programs, football and men's basketball. Davis nearly and should have won a Heisman, and Fizer was a consensus first-team All-American. I don't think we've had any others.

Cael Sanderson, even though he's now departed from us, is the most dominant college wrestler of all-time and an Olympic gold medal winner. Iowa State wrestling probably has the proudest history of any of our programs, so picking somebody like him to represent it makes the most sense to me.

I feel bad for not putting any women on the list, though.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Bill Fennelly's name needs to be mentioned more regularly in this thread. If we're talking individuals who have had the greatest impact on the major sports at ISU it almost has to be:

Pollard
Fennelly
Orr
McCarney

• Dumb
Reactions: mynameisjonas

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I can't believe all the love for McCarney on here. I get it that he was a step up from Jim Walden, but your voting for a coach with a 56-85 record to be one of your greatest 4 figures in sports history? If I'm not mistaken, he did not be one single ranked team in his entire 10 years.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyched

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I can't believe all the love for McCarney on here. I get it that he was a step up from Jim Walden, but your voting for a coach with a 56-85 record to be one of your greatest 4 figures in sports history? If I'm not mistaken, he did not be one single ranked team in his entire 10 years.
Mac brought hope because he was a great pep talker. His coaching, wasn’t that good. He beat Iowa for those people who are only concerned with beating Iowa. He had a winning conference record one time. If the big 12 had stayed intact, CPR would have had similar results as Mac. When the round robin hit, it took away the 2 out of 4 years of cakewalk scheduled and we scheduled a few non cons (like Utah) that had a pulse. He also went to 9 conference games so he lost one easier team that Mac normally got. If Mac would have had CPRs schedule I believe we would have seen the same results. 3-9/5-7 type seasons.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yes he did.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He beat Iowa in 2005, think they were 8

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Mac brought hope because he was a great pep talker. His coaching, wasn’t that good. He beat Iowa for those people who are only concerned with beating Iowa. He had a winning conference record one time. If the big 12 had stayed intact, CPR would have had similar results as Mac. When the round robin hit, it took away the 2 out of 4 years of cakewalk scheduled and we scheduled a few non cons (like Utah) that had a pulse. He also went to 9 conference games so he lost one easier team that Mac normally got. If Mac would have had CPRs schedule I believe we would have seen the same results. 3-9/5-7 type seasons.
Good god. Like you're even remotely "qualified" to evaluate Dan McCarney. This is the coach that Hayden Fry, Barry Alvarez, and Urban Meyer saw fit to hire and "coach" their players.
Where did you coach?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Good god. Like you're even remotely "qualified" to evaluate Dan McCarney. This is the coach that Hayden Fry, Barry Alvarez, and Urban Meyer saw fit to hire and "coach" their players.
Where did you coach?
I was expecting Dan’s boyfriend to defend him. Didn’t disappoint.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think JP has to be the top of the list. Has he been perfect? no. Has he always made a good hire? No. Anyone who knows where we were in 2004 vs where we are now knows just how far we've come as an athletic department.

I'd go:

1. Pollard
2. Jack Trice
3. Bill Fennelly
4. Johnny Orr

HM: Hoiberg (left us great memories as a player and coach), Dan McCarney, Cael Sanderson (sucks how he left but perfection as an athlete is amazing), Gary Thompson, Pete Taylor, John Walters, Eric Heft.

• Dumb
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron