Moderna vaccine news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
As someone who falls a few years below the age 65 threshold, I'm bummed to hear my wife and I probably won't be able to get the vaccine until May or June. I'm definitely for vaccinating the most vulnerable first, but it's going to be hard staying in our bubble and keeping distance from our grandkids 6 or 7 more months.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I actually just got over Covid so I would assume Im standing at the back of the line like my last name starts with Y.

As we learn more I wonder if people that had it/tested positive for ABs will need to get it. I'm doing a plasma donation next week and may find out I have sustainable levels which would be encouraging.

I think Iceland right now is letting those in this situation go about business as usual.

Reactions: Acylum

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
As someone who falls a few years below the age 65 threshold, I'm bummed to hear my wife and I probably won't be able to get the vaccine until May or June. I'm definitely for vaccinating the most vulnerable first, but it's going to be hard staying in our bubble and keeping distance from our grandkids 6 or 7 more months.

The vaccine distribution, for now, is being left up to each state. I expect the vaccine will be in great demand - and it will be interesting to see who actually ends up getting it, and how it gets pitched (ONLY ONE LEFT - GET YOURS NOW!), etc. For example, are high-profile companies going to get batches for their employees - sports leagues, colleges, movie studios, etc? It just seems likely that the actual "essential" workers (outside hospital employees) may end up at the bottom of the list.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Started feeling lousy last night. Stomach pain, headache, and tired. I really hope that after spending 9 months being super careful, I don't have it. To top it off, my wife is having out patient surgery on Thursday so she got tested yesterday. No fever, I can still smell and taste, no coughing, etc.

I did get the flu shot a couple of months ago.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
As we learn more I wonder if people that had it/tested positive for ABs will need to get it. I'm doing a plasma donation next week and may find out I have sustainable levels which would be encouraging.

I think Iceland right now is letting those in this situation go about business as usual.

That's another super interesting question from a scientific standpoint.

I can't easily find the explicit info right now on how volunteers were screened in the vaccine trials. But at least for Pfizer vaccine, it sounds like they only reported on volunteers 'without evidence of prior infection'. That probably means that all the data they've reported on came from volunteers with a negative antibody test.

If that's true, then I think the FDA will have to decide if a negative antibody test is required before getting the vaccine when it is released. If yes, then that is just another logistical hurdle that will need to be addressed (though I'm sure Pfizer is thinking about this, and, I imagine, trying to utilize some rapid AB test that can be given on site with the first vaccine dose). If a negative antibody test is NOT required before getting vaccinated, then that's another variable that (in my humble scientific opinion) needs to be tracked really carefully to make sure there are no safety issues (as a scientist I can easily imagine a scenario where someone with prior COVID infection would be susceptible to more serious side effects when taking a vaccine - not saying that I think it's 'likely' to be the case, but it is absolutely something that will need to be included in a clinical trial.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's another super interesting question from a scientific standpoint.

I can't easily find the explicit info right now on how volunteers were screened in the vaccine trials. But at least for Pfizer vaccine, it sounds like they only reported on volunteers 'without evidence of prior infection'. That probably means that all the data they've reported on came from volunteers with a negative antibody test.

If that's true, then I think the FDA will have to decide if a negative antibody test is required before getting the vaccine when it is released. If yes, then that is just another logistical hurdle that will need to be addressed (though I'm sure Pfizer is thinking about this, and, I imagine, trying to utilize some rapid AB test that can be given on site with the first vaccine dose). If a negative antibody test is NOT required before getting vaccinated, then that's another variable that (in my humble scientific opinion) needs to be tracked really carefully to make sure there are no safety issues (as a scientist I can easily imagine a scenario where someone with prior COVID infection would be susceptible to more serious side effects when taking a vaccine - not saying that I think it's 'likely' to be the case, but it is absolutely something that will need to be included in a clinical trial.

For me personally if my apparent infection did the same general thing as what a vaccine will do (although it sounds like the vaccine may make AB levels higher for longer?) and it won't make much difference in the long run I'll gladly step aside so someone else can get the vaccine that needs it.

Although I'm not sure if we'll know that much one way or another by the time it comes around.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
The vaccine distribution, for now, is being left up to each state. I expect the vaccine will be in great demand - and it will be interesting to see who actually ends up getting it, and how it gets pitched (ONLY ONE LEFT - GET YOURS NOW!), etc. For example, are high-profile companies going to get batches for their employees - sports leagues, colleges, movie studios, etc? It just seems likely that the actual "essential" workers (outside hospital employees) may end up at the bottom of the list.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Started feeling lousy last night. Stomach pain, headache, and tired. I really hope that after spending 9 months being super careful, I don't have it. To top it off, my wife is having out patient surgery on Thursday so she got tested yesterday. No fever, I can still smell and taste, no coughing, etc.

I did get the flu shot a couple of months ago.

Is it pretty easy for you to get tested?

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
Another interesting facet related to vaccination will be international travel. I've seen a number of discussions on Twitter where various countries may require proof of vaccination or a mandatory 14-day quarantine prior to allowing international visitors into the country, and travelers will not be able to raise any arguments regarding their rights to get around those decisions. Might create a whole group of of Americans that can no longer leave the country if they refuse to be vaccinated.

Reactions: clonechemist

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I hear ya on THAT one. :(

• Friendly
Reactions: Acylum

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Another interesting facet related to vaccination will be international travel. I've seen a number of discussions on Twitter where various countries may require proof of vaccination or a mandatory 14-day quarantine prior to allowing international visitors into the country, and travelers will not be able to raise any arguments regarding their rights to get around those decisions. Might create a whole group of of Americans that can no longer leave the country if they refuse to be vaccinated.

Somehow I suspect that the venn diagram of 1.) Americans with no desire to travel internationally, and 2.) Americans who refuse to get vaccinated, might just be one big circle...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My cousin who I grew up by, his kid. Wife went to school with his wife. So if they speak with a Russian accent, so would I.

You were better trained then that.

americans-series-finale-1-1014x570.jpg

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I have no issue with vaccination requirements. They are in effect already for many diseases not common in the US.

Please clarify something for me, though. Regarding the vaccination and quarantine period; is that an either/or situation, or requiring BOTH? A two week quarantine would certainly be a factor in travel plans, particularly if you are visiting multiple countries in one trip.

Of course, nation groups like the EU could have reciprocal agreements regarding quarantine, but since each of them has managed the pandemic independently, I wonder how likely that would be?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

The guidance isn't much at this point. The the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) has not issued any formal guidance but is reportedly voting on that today.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/12/01/vaccine-priority-groups-covid/

After health workers (hospital, clinic, care centers) and care facilities residence get theirs I fear the administering the priority list will be a cluster. Even though I am in better shape than my 69 year old peers, my age, slight asthma and immunosuppressive drug regimen puts me in a triple risk category. I am guessing I won't see a vaccine till late March or so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron