MLK day

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
So I hear that you folks down at ISU get this day off which is a total crock, what are they going to become real government and give you guys off Columbus Day too? So I looked up my schedule we get half a day off.....the afternoon meaning all my afternoon classes are moved up into the morning. Thank you for ruining my sleeping in Wartburg College

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Wait for the real world my friend - where you all get at least half a day to do what you want, where the employed just don't get mail service!!! :)

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Wartburg College... You sir will be getting rep from me.

Wartburg Class 04'

Last edited:

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
ISU has gotten MLK Day off for years and years. I think one reason they probably do it is to have a spring semester equivalent of Labor Day. They always get Labor Day off, which is usually a week or two after classes start in the Fall. They always get MLK Day off, which is a week or two after classes start in the Spring.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
My work gives you the option of taking the holiday or using it later in the year. I will be putting that day off into the bank for future use.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
ISU always gets 6 days off during a semester. In the fall it's labor day & the week of thanksgiving. In the spring it's MLK day and then spring break. That's a paltry amount compared to what some other places get off. A friend of mine went to Creighton and it seemed about every other week he had a half day or day off for some other reason.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
ISU always gets 6 days off during a semester. In the fall it's labor day & the week of thanksgiving. In the spring it's MLK day and then spring break. That's a paltry amount compared to what some other places get off. A friend of mine went to Creighton and it seemed about every other week he had a half day or day off for some other reason.

Pretty much what I was trying to say. As for Creighton, isn't that a Catholic school? They probably get a bunch of saints' days off or something...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yeah, it's a crock of crap too that some companies either give you the day off or use it at a later date. My company does neither which is ironic considering they practically shove all this promoting diversity and such down your throats all the time. If you really wanted to promote diversity you'd honor MLK Day by giving your employees the day off in observance. That's the irony of corporate America, they preach diversity, cost savings, equality, and whatever other BS they want to say to look good but the bottom line is the almighty dollar comes first and all that other stuff is just a smokescreen.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
6 days off in the fall
6 days off in the spring
4 weeks off for Christmas
12 weeks off in the summer

Man I miss college

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
6 days off in the fall
6 days off in the spring

Man I miss college

Or if you teach. We always rip on my brother for complaining about things when he gets snow days and 3 months off in the summer!

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006

A&M doesn't give Labor Day off and only Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving week for the fall. In the spring, MLK and Spring Break like most places.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Wartburg was sweet. Start college around Sept 10th.. Outfly day, fall break, thanksgiving break, christmas break, spring break, tour week, and then May Term. We were never in school.

Although I wish our class periods would have been only 50 minutes like most schools. When you have 5 short classes a day thats 65 minutes x 5 = 325 min... compared to some schools 5 short classes a day at 50 minutes= 250 min.

But longer days were worth it for less days in class.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
6 days off in the fall
6 days off in the spring

Man I miss college

And you had to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars to do it too. That said, I don't miss it YET. Then again, I REALLY hated homework at night. I am loving not having any now :)

Last edited:

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Wartburg was sweet. Start college around Sept 10th.. Outfly day, fall break, thanksgiving break, christmas break, spring break, tour week, and then May Term. We were never in school.

Although I wish our class periods would have been only 50 minutes like most schools. When you have 5 short classes a day thats 65 minutes x 5 = 325 min... compared to some schools 5 short classes a day at 50 minutes= 250 min.

But longer days were worth it for less days in class.

Then again despite the late starting date, for instance ISU started 2 1/2 weeks before us, Wartburg does go until May 22 with the May term so there is some give and take with that although we do have more than 6 days off. Spring break is 5 and then 3 days surrounding Easter and then there's tour week. There advantages and disadvantages. For me its not the 65 min classes on MWF that are bad its the 1 hr 40 min ones on T Th. Most of my profs thus far rarely used that whole span, until Psych 101 this semester, he uses every minute.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Then again despite the late starting date, for instance ISU started 2 1/2 weeks before us, Wartburg does go until May 22 with the May term so there is some give and take with that although we do have more than 6 days off. Spring break is 5 and then 3 days surrounding Easter and then there's tour week. There advantages and disadvantages. For me its not the 65 min classes on MWF that are bad its the 1 hr 40 min ones on T Th. Most of my profs thus far rarely used that whole span, until Psych 101 this semester, he uses every minute.

I had at least two or three semesters where I was done in the last week of April because I had no final exams, just projects and papers that were due during dead week. That was awesome!

I have to work MLK Day down here, but it is still much better than school. I actually make money instead of lose it, those breaks--though few and far between--are paid, and no evenings or weekends wasted doing homework or studying for exams. It is MUCH better.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'm really looking forward to having free time with no homework. I know a lot of people say "you will miss college when you're done" and I'm sure I will miss parts of it. However, I'm really excited to have a more normal schedule. Get up, work from 7-4 or something, then head home and have all evening for whatever I want. That's the best thing about working, once you leave the office, the work stays at the office! As a student, you're on campus all day going to class, then you go home and have to do homework, suck!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron