Mississippi Valley State 12/31

Tony

May 1, 2013
Ankeny, IA
Looking ahead to the next game against Mississippi Valley State University on New Year’s Eve, trying to remember why that team sounded familiar…

Iowa State played them in 2011 at Hilton; MVSU came into the game 1-11, Royce had the flu and only played 3 minutes, Ejim came off the bench and lead in points (15), rebounds (15) and tied Bubu for assists (3). ISU got up by as many as 18 early, was up 13 at the half, and then only made 18 points in the first 15 minutes of the second half, MSVS hit a 3 at the buzzer to bring the final score to 67-65, ISU victory. Too close for comfort.

After that game MVSU went 20-1 (granted against much weaker competition than they had been playing, but impressive nonetheless), and then lost in the 16 seed play-in game of the NCAA tournament.

They have a new coach this year, Andre Payne.

Iowa State is the only ranked team they will play this year and this is the worst team Iowa State will play all year.

As of 12/21 according to ESPN stats, they are 322[SUP]nd[/SUP] in points scored, 340[SUP]th[/SUP] in offensive rebounds, 325[SUP]th[/SUP] in assists, 350[SUP]th[/SUP] in field goal percentage, 350[SUP]th[/SUP] in points allowed, 350[SUP]th[/SUP] in defensive rebounds, 350[SUP]th[/SUP] in blocks, but 28[SUP]th[/SUP] in steals!! So watch out, they may get a steal.

Useless information:

Known as the Delta Devils

Public University founded in 1950 with a student enrollment of around 2,500, located in rural north central Mississippi.

You can get a “luxuryâ€￾ season court-side seat for $250.

Due to fundraising efforts, MVSU is on the road the first two months of the season. They don’t have a home game until January 10[SUP]th[/SUP] this year and only play 9 home games. Makes those court-side seats seem like less of a steal…

Jerry Rice played football there.

That’s it. I expect Stensland to be in double figures.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Also, in the aftermath of the game:
1. We were pretty concerned here, and legitimately so. The team hadn't shown that it could be consistent, or maybe even able to beat good teams.
2. Fred had the press conference where he slammed that interview table with both fists. The tenor of the team changed from that day on.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Looking ahead to the next game against Mississippi Valley State University on New Year’s Eve, trying to remember why that team sounded familiar…

Iowa State played them in 2011 at Hilton; MVSU came into the game 1-11, Royce had the flu and only played 3 minutes, Ejim came off the bench and lead in points (15), rebounds (15) and tied Bubu for assists (3). ISU got up by as many as 18 early, was up 13 at the half, and then only made 18 points in the first 15 minutes of the second half, MSVS hit a 3 at the buzzer to bring the final score to 67-65, ISU victory. Too close for comfort.

After that game MVSU went 20-1 (granted against much weaker competition than they had been playing, but impressive nonetheless), and then lost in the 16 seed play-in game of the NCAA tournament.

Iowa State is the only ranked team they will play this year and this is the worst team Iowa State will play all year.

As of 12/21 according to ESPN stats, they are 322[SUP]nd[/SUP] in points scored, 340[SUP]th[/SUP] in offensive rebounds, 325[SUP]th[/SUP] in assists, 350[SUP]th[/SUP] in field goal percentage, 350[SUP]th[/SUP] in points allowed, 350[SUP]th[/SUP] in defensive rebounds, 350[SUP]th[/SUP] in blocks, but 28[SUP]th[/SUP] in steals!! So watch out, they may get a steal.

Useless information:

Public University founded in 1950 with a student enrollment of around 2,500, located in rural north central Mississippi.

You can get a “luxury” season court-side seat for $250.

Due to fundraising efforts, MVSU is on the road the first two months of the season. They don’t have a home game until January 10[SUP]th[/SUP] this year and only play 9 home games. Makes those court-side seats seem like less of a steal…

A lot of (typically southern) low majors sell their soul and play most of their non conference games on the road against Big 5 conference foes to finance their programs

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City

Useless information:

You can get a “luxury” season court-side seat for $250.

Outstanding write-up.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's not a NCAA tournament play in game!

-you know who

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
Just glanced at their schedule...and I thought drake was the worst team we'd see. Wow... If this is within 20, we shouldn't receive credit for a win. What's the spread gonna be? Isu -40?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Going for Fred's 100th win and (effectively) the 1 year anniversary of Johnny's passing.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Not that it's relevant anymore but I hadn't seen it so I found it here:http://www.cyclones.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=907&id=828222

Yeesh - never seen that before. Almost more telling is the fact he sulked with his head in his hand the entire interview. The frustration was oozing out of him.

Wonder what practice was like the next few days? Reminds me a bit of a guy I used to work with years back. Higher up - but nicest guy, easy going, pleasant all the time. One of his subs came up to me one day .. "Just saw Brad completely ****** and never want to see it again". I imagine that's the way it is with Fred. If you manage to get him to the point of being ****** off - not sure you want to be in the way...

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Yeesh - never seen that before. Almost more telling is the fact he sulked with his head in his hand the entire interview. The frustration was oozing out of him.

Wonder what practice was like the next few days? Reminds me a bit of a guy I used to work with years back. Higher up - but nicest guy, easy going, pleasant all the time. One of his subs came up to me one day .. "Just saw Brad completely ****** and never want to see it again". I imagine that's the way it is with Fred. If you manage to get him to the point of being ****** off - not sure you want to be in the way...

Bump. If you haven't seen this interview yet, you need to. It's one thing if your coach flips out all the time- you can get desensitized. It freaks you out when someone with a normally calm demeanor...

I kinda like it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

When he said that playing time was up in the air for everybody, it was obvious that he had some plans for pain and motivation.

Those had to be some rough, rough practices, but we really came to play against Texas, and everything was right with the basketball world.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
That has to be the closest I've ever seen him to losing his calm.

Yeah, but he's still only a Francon 8.

QtkftTP.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron