Missing Student -- ISU ALERT

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
I heard on the news that at 10:57pm on the 22nd was the last contact that a tower had "pinged" his phone, which I think is just a signal which is sent back and forth. The police triangulated it and the phone was still in campustown at 10:57pm. I know the police have combed the area for any clues, but over those 8 days someone could have found his cell phone, more than likely a student. They've been focused on if you find anything "now" please report it and don't touch it, but not to think if you found something last weekend to report it to police. I just think it's crazy he was still in campus town for 90 minutes and no one saw anything, maybe he didn't leave at 9:30?

M3MEPLEASE

Sep 4, 2009

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I heard on the news that at 10:57pm on the 22nd was the last contact that a tower had "pinged" his phone, which I think is just a signal which is sent back and forth. The police triangulated it and the phone was still in campustown at 10:57pm. I know the police have combed the area for any clues, but over those 8 days someone could have found his cell phone, more than likely a student. They've been focused on if you find anything "now" please report it and don't touch it, but not to think if you found something last weekend to report it to police. I just think it's crazy he was still in campus town for 90 minutes and no one saw anything, maybe he didn't leave at 9:30?

Surprised there are not security cameras on Welch that would have seen something?

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007

Could've gone for a superdog, gyro, jimmy johns, subway, or to a bar on Welch. If he didn't run into anyone he knew there, no one there would remember him being there (hope that makes sense). I know there have been several times when I've left a place, gone to Welch for something to eat and ended up being there for quite a while...

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
About the SFK, I have no way of knowing whether it's true, actual, whatever you want to call it or whether that is involved here, BUT it does seem similar to what I've read about bad things happening in three's.

Most often there is nothing, but as we look back at things and occurrences, we "see" patterns. Something happens once, no big deal. Something similar happens again, we might say, "wow" that's a lot like happening #1. When something similar happens a third time, regardless of any differences in circumstances or the length of time between the events, our minds "see" a pattern. We want to make sense of what we know, in order to explain and make less fearful what we don't know.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
would be worth a viewing of any security tapes in anywhere in campustown that has them available from that date between oh 10-1am to see if he pops up.. though who knows if they would have kept the tapes that long.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
One thing I will say about Abel Bolanos, he was very intoxicated and was seen the night he disappeared walking a little more than a block from where he drowned.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

That info is also in today's Ames Trib. All that it means, I think, is that was the last time his phone was on and in that vicinity at that time.

If you didn't want to be seen or didn't want someone seen, it's probably fairly easy to do. There are a lot of trees, buildings and shadows in campustown at night.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Surprised there are not security cameras on Welch that would have seen something?

I'm not sure how long the university keeps their video, but most businesses keep their videos for only a week (if that long). It is very possible that even if a video captured something, that video may be gone.

CyPhy

Feb 2, 2010
The SFK M.O. seems to be that they dump the wallet and cell phone in the opposite direction of where the victim was last seen and where the water is. The smiley face is usually upstream.

Nov 23, 2008
Norwalk via Marshalltown
I'm not sure how long the university keeps their video, but most businesses keep their videos for only a week (if that long). It is very possible that even if a video captured something, that video may be gone.

Yup, most security cams in businesses are DVR type format and they record over material a week old. The theory being that if something happens to the business it'll be reported within a week and they have time to review the video. Even if they had the video of that night, I doubt any of it will show what happened to him, unless it were to record him talking to an unknown person or catching him entering a vehicle. Just seeing him sitting at a bar doesn't really help investigators. Besides, I doubt he went on some kind of binge and did something stupid. From most of the reports I have been reading sounds like the guy was a responsible type drinker and didn't binge.

Nov 23, 2008
Norwalk via Marshalltown
The SFK M.O. seems to be that they dump the wallet and cell phone in the opposite direction of where the victim was last seen and where the water is. The smiley face is usually upstream.

This SMK stuff sounds more like fables and urban legends. If anything maybe there was a first instance where a murder took place, a smiley face was found near the scene, and then somebody read about it and did a copy-cat crime. If there was an instance where 30+ murders took place like they say with the same circumstances there would be more emphasis on the investigation. From what I have been googling, sounds like a bunch of theory and boogieman tales...

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008

What's your agenda with the smiley face killer thing? You have 5 total posts and they're all about this unproven theory. Not knocking you, but your presence is odd, to say the least. Are you writing a book or something?

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Could've gone for a superdog, gyro, jimmy johns, subway, or to a bar on Welch. If he didn't run into anyone he knew there, no one there would remember him being there (hope that makes sense). I know there have been several times when I've left a place, gone to Welch for something to eat and ended up being there for quite a while...

Exactly, you don't go hit up some more of campustown area, then leave the town for awhile on your own. This whole thing sucks, feel terrible for the family.

Sandman

Oct 13, 2009
France
The SFK theory would be somewhat plausible if, you know, the smileys in each case LOOKED ANYTHING ALIKE.

Also, smiley faces are an extremely rare symbol and surely every instance of a smiley face on a college campus must be related to a serial killer. (Hint: you'll find smiley faces in campuses that haven't had anyone gone missing either)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron