Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Saliva test available by Christmas, 15 minute results

In UK NHS staff could get Covid-19 vaccine in weeks

The Sun?

Anyways, the saliva test people should read the vaccine article. Do we need tests if we have a vaccine? All of these testing companies seem to be wasting money developing the tests.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The Sun?

Anyways, the saliva test people should read the vaccine article. Do we need tests if we have a vaccine? All of these testing companies seem to be wasting money developing the tests.

Are you talking tests like drive up access?

Won't we need tests until vaccines are readily available and/or if someone feels symptoms a few months after vaccination? I'd guess we would need to know how infectious someone is if they're reinfected or get it post-vaccine.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Are you talking tests like drive up access?

Won't we need tests until vaccines are readily available and/or if someone feels symptoms a few months after vaccination? I'd guess we would need to know how infectious someone is if they're reinfected or get it post-vaccine.
The story I quoted said 15 minute tests ready around Christmas for context, with another article posted directly after it talking about rolling out a vaccine at Christmas.

I'm just surprised there are so many companies pushing the testing given the notion we're on the short path to a vaccine.

kcbob79clone

The story I quoted said 15 minute tests ready around Christmas for context, with another article posted directly after it talking about rolling out a vaccine at Christmas.

I'm just surprised there are so many companies pushing the testing given the notion we're on the short path to a vaccine.

We're not safe until everyone is safe.

As we have talked about before it will take a while to vaccinate everyone (approx. 8B). Plus there are some that will not take the vaccine.

For these reasons I believe, in my opinion, that rapid testing and therapeutic treatment will be necessary for the foreseeable future.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

From what I've read, it seems like best case scenario is that we start getting vaccines approved between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then a limited distribution Q1 of 2021 with wider distribution Q2. Basically they were stating not to expect enough vaccinations to occur to start impacting infection rates for another 6-8 months.

It is depressing to learn that we are still 8 months away from things resembling normalcy, but it is nice to have realistic timeline put forth.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
From what I've read, it seems like best case scenario is that we start getting vaccines approved between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then a limited distribution Q1 of 2021 with wider distribution Q2. Basically they were stating not to expect enough vaccinations to occur to start impacting infection rates for another 6-8 months.

It is depressing to learn that we are still 8 months away from things resembling normalcy, but it is nice to have realistic timeline put forth.

I'll wonder if antibody tests are still available after getting the vaccine. I'd like to find out antibodies are still detectable before I get revaccinated. OR if there will be advancements in knowing what the levels need to be generally for immunity.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
We're not safe until everyone is safe.

As we have talked about before it will take a while to vaccinate everyone (approx. 8B). Plus there are some that will not take the vaccine.

For these reasons I believe, in my opinion, that rapid testing and therapeutic treatment will be necessary for the foreseeable future.
I understand that, however I’m struggling to see why this test in December is still being pursued when we already have 15 minute rapid testing available. Spinning up tests for everyone (approaching 8B) must certainly take a long time as well, given you need to repeat it so often.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

I agree that it’s depressing and encouraging at the same time. I have no doubt testing will still be needed, I just wonder what a company hoping to have something for December is banning in when other companies already have a 15 minute test deployed.

Reactions: Cyientist

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree that it’s depressing and encouraging at the same time. I have no doubt testing will still be needed, I just wonder what a company hoping to have something for December is banning in when other companies already have a 15 minute test deployed.

It's at least a way to know where we stand and if it works out where that time comes sooner, great.

Some other advancements in treatment I'd think would also add in to help the situation.

kcbob79clone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

All good points. I think something worth adding is the discussion around what the future looks like once it’s rolled out in 6-8 months. Below is a paraphrasing of what I’ve heard experts talks about.

Assume the vaccine is 50% effective (current belief off limited data, but could be up to 70%). If only 50% of the US gets it (currently under that in polls), that means 25% effective herd immunity via immunization. In order to get to a combination (aka effective) herd immunity from natural + unnatural methods, you’d need roughly 35-45% of the population infected by then.

Point is, social distancing and masks are probably here for at least a year if not longer to get immunity built up, vaccines deployed, public convinced they’re safe, etc.

Add in that you don’t know if the vaccines was effective on somebody until they do or don’t get sick at some point.

That’s why therapeutics, rapid testing, etc are still critical to develop and deploy.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
All good points. I think something worth adding is the discussion around what the future looks like once it’s rolled out in 6-8 months. Below is a paraphrasing of what I’ve heard experts talks about.

Assume the vaccine is 50% effective (current belief off limited data, but could be up to 70%). If only 50% of the US gets it (currently under that in polls), that means 25% effective herd immunity via immunization. In order to get to a combination (aka effective) herd immunity from natural + unnatural methods, you’d need roughly 35-45% of the population infected by then.

Point is, social distancing and masks are probably here for at least a year if not longer to get immunity built up, vaccines deployed, public convinced they’re safe, etc.

Add in that you don’t know if the vaccines was effective on somebody until they do or don’t get sick at some point.

That’s why therapeutics, rapid testing, etc are still critical to develop and deploy.

Great points. The messaging really needs to start getting out there on how vaccine effectiveness and vaccination rates actually gets us to a herd immunity level. The public needs to understand why there will be cases even though a vaccine is available.

I think we should be optimistic that we will be above the 50% effectiveness level on the vaccine. For some reason I had 70-80% in my head, may have been from an Andy Slavvit interviewee. Next we need to get the public confident in receiving the vaccine. The last thing we need is a person being vaccinated, then coming down with COVID and then multiple people hear of that and decide it isn't worth being vaccinated.

• Agree
Reactions: kcbob79clone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron