Men's BB Travel?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Anyone know the type of planes that the team fly on? Chartered or scheduled? size/number of seats? Do ($$) fans sometime fly with the team?

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Don't know about the team, but Fred is capable of achieving flight all on his own.

Figure a:
Flying-Superman-Young-Justice-psd67316.png

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Anyone know the type of planes that the team fly on? Chartered or scheduled? size/number of seats? Do ($$) fans sometime fly with the team?

Chartered. MVC teams will fly on a scheduled flight. KU has their own 747. It's different at different levels and schools.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
They used to travel in bus before mega Big12 deal kicked in. Seems like they are taking chartered flights to pretty much everywhere except State of Iowa travel.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I can't imagine they aren't chartered. Hell, UNI travels by charter the majority of the time and to every league city except for Des Moines and Peoria...

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
TSA agents line up 10 deep to be the one who gets to frisk Dreamy. He ALWAYS gets the extra pat down/screening.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Most of the season they've taken charters.

Mainly N814BB and N813BB, which both have been used by a couple teams in the Big 12 along with our woman's team.

Since they're smaller aircraft, they can land those planes at Ames Municipal Airport, but did fly out of Des Moines a couple times.

IICR they took a bus to Lawrence but flew back.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Chartered. MVC teams will fly on a scheduled flight. KU has their own 747. It's different at different levels and schools.

Got a link to that for KU? If not, I'm calling BS. A 747 is way more plane than you would need to shuttle around a hoops team, coaches, and support staff. It would just be far too costly to justify. The other disadvantage would be airport access. When your roadtrips are to places like Ames, Stillwater, Lubbock, and Morgantown, you would be better served by a smaller plane that can get in and out of local airports closer to these schools.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Got a link to that for KU? If not, I'm calling BS. A 747 is way more plane than you would need to shuttle around a hoops team, coaches, and support staff. It would just be far too costly to justify. The other disadvantage would be airport access. When your roadtrips are to places like Ames, Stillwater, Lubbock, and Morgantown, you would be better served by a smaller plane that can get in and out of local airports closer to these schools.

Maybe they only use it when they fly into Manhattan, er, Little Apple. Netjets.:swoon:

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013

Ya there is no way. An old 747 can seat damn near 400 people. KU may have an ERJ or CRJ that they fly as that makes more sense or a SAAB as N814BB is.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Ya there is no way. An old 747 can seat damn near 400 people. KU may have an ERJ or CRJ that they fly as that makes more sense or a SAAB as N814BB is.

Yeah, even a complete NFL team, support staff, and equipment wouldn't fill up a 747. But if you told me that KU had some kind of RJ for their teams I'd probably believe you. Though I think unless you're using it a lot for stuff other than just flying to games it probably makes more sense to just charter.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Most of the season they've taken charters.

Mainly N814BB and N813BB, which both have been used by a couple teams in the Big 12 along with our woman's team.

Since they're smaller aircraft, they can land those planes at Ames Municipal Airport, but did fly out of Des Moines a couple times.

IICR they took a bus to Lawrence but flew back.

N814BB - Saab 2000

N814BB.jpg

Couldn't find any pictures of N813BB but guessing given the tail number it's the same type of aircraft.

Edit: Oh yeah, no way KU BB cruises in a 747.

Last edited:

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
I don't know about regular season. For NCAA it's chartered. Usually about the size of a 737 (don't know exactly what they use). They fly with coaches and families, the Godfather, a few other people, band, and cheer squad. Usually at least 50 open seats.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron