Memphis Potential BIG12 Expansion Candidate?

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I think there's a lot of bias against city schools and that's one of the reasons they weren't considered. Same as Louisville, Cincinnati and Houston.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think there's a lot of bias against city schools and that's one of the reasons they weren't considered. Same as Louisville, Cincinnati and Houston.
Louisville, Pitt, and Cincy would have been a decent combo with WVU had we went on the offensive following NU’s initial skirt lift to the Big 10 (along with CU’s well known desire to go home to California). Instead OU, UT, MU, A$M all used it as a chance to measure their dicks.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
As others have said, it seems to make no financial sense right now for the conference to expand. If it does at a later point, then Memphis and Cincy would be my front-runners. That's mainly because I have a basketball bias and they have historically strong bball programs and because we'd move the conference more logically to the east. Memphis is starting to slip though in hoops. Not sure if they'll ever get back to their once-proud stature.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Not sure how many times we need to have this same thread, but my standard answer is that the last thing Iowa State needs is additional competition for the last few spots in a 64 team super conference alignment. Which I believe is coming. Thus, if there's a current P5 team that wants to jump in (not likely), that's fine. If a non-P5 team, no thanks.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Not sure how many times we need to have this same thread, but my standard answer is that the last thing Iowa State needs is additional competition for the last few spots in a 64 team super conference alignment. Which I believe is coming. Thus, if there's a current P5 team that wants to jump in (not likely), that's fine. If a non-P5 team, no thanks.

What conference do you think we have a shot at? Because we don't.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
As others have said, it seems to make no financial sense right now for the conference to expand. If it does at a later point, then Memphis and Cincy would be my front-runners. That's mainly because I have a basketball bias and they have historically strong bball programs and because we'd move the conference more logically to the east. Memphis is starting to slip though in hoops. Not sure if they'll ever get back to their once-proud stature.

The big 12 helped turn TCU into a ranked basketball team... there are no worries in the world about Memphis basketball coming around if they come to the big 12.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
If I remember correctly, every school that left from a P5 to another P5 was an AAU school. (Nebby was at the time.)

Bodes well for us...

And every running back that rushed for 2000 yards in a season won the Heisman trophy - before Troy Davis.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I don't think any other conference is going to come beating down our doors. I do think there comes a time when the super conference concept comes along. And I think it will be a huge advantage to teams like ISU to already be in a P5 conference. This advantage is for many reasons, but among them would be rivalries, TV exposure, strong fan base and most importantly, the money that has come into the universities the last 5+ and next 4+ years that have allowed them to build up infrastructure to compete.

I think the super conference will be made up of all the teams in the ACC (including ND), SEC and B10. Then, some of the above conferences will latch on to teams they want and finally the PAC and B12 teams will either combine or be selected from to form the 4th conference. If you do the math, a few will be left out. This is why you don't want non-P5 teams getting invited in and why it won't happen prior to 4 years from now when the framework starts developing.

4 16 team Super conferences make too much sense not to happen, IMO and in the opinion of a lot of college football people.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Then you better hope we don’t add any of these non-P5s as that will expedite the end of the Big 12, if not signal that a few current members have worked out their exits.

Regardless, none of the current P5 conferences or institutions should be in favor of adding schools from outside the current group. The TV checks won’t go up but the mouths to feed will. It’s not expansion that’s next, but realignment followed by possibly some contraction not limited to just the Big 12. If doomsday happens it will rewrite everything.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I don't think any other conference is going to come beating down our doors. I do think there comes a time when the super conference concept comes along. And I think it will be a huge advantage to teams like ISU to already be in a P5 conference. This advantage is for many reasons, but among them would be rivalries, TV exposure, strong fan base and most importantly, the money that has come into the universities the last 5+ and next 4+ years that have allowed them to build up infrastructure to compete.

I think the super conference will be made up of all the teams in the ACC (including ND), SEC and B10. Then, some of the above conferences will latch on to teams they want and finally the PAC and B12 teams will either combine or be selected from to form the 4th conference. If you do the math, a few will be left out. This is why you don't want non-P5 teams getting invited in and why it won't happen prior to 4 years from now when the framework starts developing.

4 16 team Super conferences make too much sense not to happen, IMO and in the opinion of a lot of college football people.

Is there a rule that says the Pac would have to expand to sixteen? Maybe they look at what's left and don't want to.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
As long as the Big 12 is making the money that is comparable to the Big 10 and the SEC, nobody has a reason to move.

Esp if Oklahoma wins the national title this year. I know a lot of people don't like Oklahoma, but that would help the perception of our conference immensely.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Is there a rule that says the Pac would have to expand to sixteen? Maybe they look at what's left and don't want to.
Yes, there's a rule that says this. Are you intentionally obtuse? Read my post. Those are my thoughts and I think they're pretty clear. I don't really give a **** if you agree or not. This thread comes up every time someone thinks of a team and the same conversation ensues. Regardless of whether the super conference happens or not, adding teams like Memphis would be really bad for Iowa State and not good for the conference as it would be at a minimum a dilution of revenues.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
So we have them in a bowl game as an opponent and now all of a sudden we think they might be a good addition to the XII?

No offense to Memphis posters.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: isu2014 and isu81

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Is there a rule that says the SEC and Big 10 have to be at 16?

If Armageddon NFL model Super XYZ team stratification happens, anything is on the table. If it’s solely driven by bundling college football into a national product that you must buy all to view one, then more than just a few Big 12 programs should be concerned. If cord cutting reverts things back to actual fan driven revenue and conventional metrics mattering more, then we sit very well.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Yes, there's a rule that says this. Are you intentionally obtuse? Read my post. Those are my thoughts and I think they're pretty clear.

hlvkaX8.gif

There's a rule that says the Pac will be forced to expand? Please cite your references for me.

Who are they going to get?

OU & Okie Lite? No- their academics and football prestige land them in the SEC.
Texas? No- they'll get Notre Dame status in the ACC
Kansas? No- the B1G will take them along with fellow AAU school Colorado to reunite them with Nebraska.

Let's look at what's left: ISU, WVU, Tech, Baylor, TCU, KSU. You can scratch the religious schools off the list as well as the flyover states. Tech is the best choice to replace Colorado because they offer a slice of Texas pie. What then? Hawaii? UNLV? Or maybe just say 12 is good enough.

Again; show me a source that says expansion will be forced upon any conference.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Here's the list you should be concerned about. Baylor, Notre Dame and BYU are not included as they don't report revenue.

IMO, there are about 6 teams that will battle for the final 3-4 spots. Best guesses are that they are Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, BYU, Oregon State and Washington State. Colorado and Georgia Tech are low revenue teams, but reside in huge TV markets that will be attractive. If, for example, a Memphis (or UConn, Houston, Cinncinnatti, USF, UCF) were added to P5 conferences, it adds those teams to the list of viable competitors for the final spots. It would be nice if we stopped bringing this up for every Tom, **** and Memphis that comes along.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

Help Support Us

Become a patron