Melvin Ejim, The Legend

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Niang could potentially make some noise on that one.

Niang is at 989. If he has two more years scoring like this year (567), he'd be at 2123, which is just behind Barry Stevens for second.

Assuming 35 game seasons, Niang would have to average 21ppg over the next two seasons to catch Grayer.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
It's sad but doesn't surprise me. I believe this is the first time we have made the NCAA's 3 years in a row. Johnny had our first ever 20 win season, but his teams could rarely win on the road. He also would usually have a down year or two in between his good years. Floyd and Eustachy both had a couple of great years, but then their win/loss records fell back for different reasons. Morgan and McDermott had good but not great teams.

Edit: Meant to be a reply to Guetterdone's 22 win post.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Niang is at 989. If he has two more years scoring like this year (567), he'd be at 2123, which is just behind Barry Stevens for second.

Assuming 35 game seasons, Niang would have to average 21ppg over the next two seasons to catch Grayer.

I think he could do it, but our teams will be too talented and he's too good a passer.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Does anyone else think it's kind of pathetic that our all time leader in wins is at 88? Don't get me wrong we've been great and I'm having the time of my life right now, but I would have thought that someone had to of averaged more than 22 wins a year over their career. Thats not that many.

Sidenote
Ejim is awesome. Hang it.

No.
For most of college basketball history the seasons were much shorter. The increase in season length has come with early entry, jucos, and transfers in general.

nyclone

Feb 5, 2014
Does anyone else think it's kind of pathetic that our all time leader in wins is at 88? Don't get me wrong we've been great and I'm having the time of my life right now, but I would have thought that someone had to of averaged more than 22 wins a year over their career. Thats not that many.

Sidenote
Ejim is awesome. Hang it.

Seriously, are you new here?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
No.
For most of college basketball history the seasons were much shorter. The increase in season length has come with early entry, jucos, and transfers in general.

I hate in college football when people say 'first 10 win season in 100 years' when for most of those 100 years teams weren't even playing 10 games. Records are rarely fair that way.

The college game desperately needs a faster shot clock. It'll make a lot of stats irrelevant at a lot of schools and nationally, but it's the right thing to do for the game.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

Sounds reachable. I can see a near 19 ppg average next year, and then a possible All American 24 ppg his senior year. More consistent 3 ball, and less foul trouble due to having other bigs down low will be a plus. Not saying it's a guarantee, just a good possibility.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Greg McDermott recruited and got comittments from Doug McDermott and Melvin Ejim in the same season. The national POY and the Big 12 POY...not bad.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Melvin had a great run in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half where he scored a ton of points. That and guarding a 290# guy would tire anybody out.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
It's sad but doesn't surprise me. I believe this is the first time we have made the NCAA's 3 years in a row. Johnny had our first ever 20 win season, but his teams could rarely win on the road. He also would usually have a down year or two in between his good years. Floyd and Eustachy both had a couple of great years, but then their win/loss records fell back for different reasons. Morgan and McDermott had good but not great teams.

Edit: Meant to be a reply to Guetterdone's 22 win post.

We made the NCAA's 3 years in a row from 1995-1997.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA

I do not think pathetic is the word you're looking for....at all

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
were-not-worthy-o.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron