Megan Gustafson to play for Iowa United

D

Deleted member 8507

The Big Tournament, winning team gets $2 million. It's like pick up ball on steroids. Deandre Kane has been on the winning team twice if I remember right. Mainly ex college and pro players. Teams get in based on fan support somehow there is a thread that explains the whole thing. ISU had a team last yr but some players backed out and they didn't get too far lost in the 1st round if I remember right.
1. TBT is The Basketball Tournament
2. Megan G is the only female currently on a team
3. Last year's Hilton Legends team tanked . . . bad (yes, several key players backed out late and Royce showed up late and out of shape)
4. This year's coach is Jeff Horner (former Hawk)
5. The Iowa United team has 2-3 players from ISU, UNI and Iowa plus 1 or 2 randoms thrown in.
6. This year's team is hoping to play down in Wichita

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
3. Last year's Hilton Legends team tanked . . . bad (yes, several key players backed out late and Royce showed up late and out of shape)
5. The Iowa United team has 2-3 players from ISU, UNI and Iowa plus 1 or 2 randoms thrown in.

My bad.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I thought Sullivan was coaching

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm not sure it's a good sign they were talking with Megan about joining the team prior to the exemption being announced.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Maybe I am reading this wrong but I took it to be that Horner was the coach
https://www.thetournament.com/teams/iowa-united

View attachment 64516
It appears you are right, Sullivan was originally supposed to coach. Now I'm even less excited.

3l45Jopv_normal.jpg

Dear Old Gold
@DearOldGold
· May 21
The @IowaTbt have made a switch at head coach, bringing in former Hawkeye @Jeff_Horner2 to lead the team in @thetournament

Cbbjunkie

Mar 7, 2019
Thanks. Sounds like I’m not missing out on anything!
You are missing out on money. It has huge fan involvement and if you are one of the top 1000 fans of the winning team you win $. 2 years ago i wont $1k and last year I was 1 game away from $1k again. So yes you are missing out. Here is the breakdown.
a. The Fan of the winning team who accrues the most points as of August 1, 2019 at 12:00 pm NOON (ET) will be eligible to receive $10,000; Fans ranked 2-9 (8 total Fans) will be eligible to receive $5,000 each; Fans ranked 10-27 (18 total Fans) will be eligible to receive $1,000 each; Fans ranked 28-62 (35 total Fans) will be eligible to receive $500 each; Fans ranked 63-199 (138 total Fans) will be eligible to receive $250; Fans ranked 200-1000 (800 total Fans) will be eligible to receive $100.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think it's pretty cool. She may struggle against men as strength is her strong suit (I'm guessing that's the reason she didn't stick in the WNBA too), but she may do some good things too.

If she gets fouled she'll hit her free throws. Question is will she get fouled or just blocked?

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
I think it's pretty cool. She may struggle against men as strength is her strong suit (I'm guessing that's the reason she didn't stick in the WNBA too), but she may do some good things too.
I think the main reason she's not cut out for the WNBA is the fact that she is a traditional back to the basket post player.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If she gets fouled she'll hit her free throws. Question is will she get fouled or just blocked?

That will be tough too. If she can get into their body, they won't be as likely to block her (though help defenders could). I'm guessing she'll be able to get some off.

I played one on one with a girl who was all conference in high school, and I beat her, but just barely (despite being a good 6" taller than her). She knew how to get her hips into you and keep you held off to get her shot off. Turns out, I should have let her win, as she was pretty hot, and mad that she lost lol

Reactions: NWICY

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
McGee and Washpun are the only two that are playing at top levels in Europe. I hope this goes well but some of the teams in this thing have been pretty stacked in the past.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think the main reason she's not cut out for the WNBA is the fact that she is a traditional back to the basket post player.

She got cut because she was drafted to a team that had several high-quality post players with experience. Azure Stevens (6 6 Uconn), Imani McGee Stafford (6 7 Texas) (Theresa Plaisance (6 5 LSU) Dallas, Isabelle Harrison (6 4 Tenn).

She would have made a roster on a lot of other teams, but honestly, this roster is post heavy IMO. They traded away Cambage and went to market to try and replace that position, and over drafted/free agency/traded for it.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
You are missing out on money. It has huge fan involvement and if you are one of the top 1000 fans of the winning team you win $. 2 years ago i wont $1k and last year I was 1 game away from $1k again. So yes you are missing out. Here is the breakdown.
a. The Fan of the winning team who accrues the most points as of August 1, 2019 at 12:00 pm NOON (ET) will be eligible to receive $10,000; Fans ranked 2-9 (8 total Fans) will be eligible to receive $5,000 each; Fans ranked 10-27 (18 total Fans) will be eligible to receive $1,000 each; Fans ranked 28-62 (35 total Fans) will be eligible to receive $500 each; Fans ranked 63-199 (138 total Fans) will be eligible to receive $250; Fans ranked 200-1000 (800 total Fans) will be eligible to receive $100.

Meh.

Semi-pro/pick basketball league doesn’t intrigue me.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
She got cut because she was drafted to a team that had several high-quality post players with experience. Azure Stevens (6 6 Uconn), Imani McGee Stafford (6 7 Texas) (Theresa Plaisance (6 5 LSU) Dallas, Isabelle Harrison (6 4 Tenn).

She would have made a roster on a lot of other teams, but honestly, this roster is post heavy IMO. They traded away Cambage and went to market to try and replace that position, and over drafted/free agency/traded for it.

If it’s just because of the full roster of posts wouldn’t another team snag her fairly quickly ?