"Meat is Murder"

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I never get lean ground beef. We always get the 80% ground beef and when I get meat from my farmer buddy, the last thing I want is lean meat because it doesn't taste a fraction as well as a good cut of meat with plenty of marbeling. My cholesterol is also lower then average so that isn't a problem either for me or my family.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
A shocking revelation from Angie... She has no qualms about kicking a chicken...:eek:

Personally, I would feel less bad about kicking a pig or a cow becuase it probably would affect them less... Think about it Angie...

When I was a kid my friend dropped kicked a stray cat once. But I don't think he would have eaten it. :confused:

FLYBOY1979

Apr 12, 2006
I hope you don't eat anything that has Palm or Coconut oil in it because that is WORSE than LARD. If chicken is breaded like chicken nuggets that is worse than the left over RIBEYE I just ate. KFC lookout, but I do like chicken, I just eat beef and pork more often.
May I suggest you buy local, as in farmer direct. There is nothing better
than good old Iowa CORN feed Beef or Pork.
My grandfather just missed 100 years old, he ate bad all his life. He had a few to many drinks once in awhile and he smoked some. BUT his job was WORK, not sitting at a computer or standing in a factory. He carried all the feed for hogs cattle chickens by hand in 5 gallon buckets. He quit when his
body said enough when he was in his early 80's. Yes he ate his veggies out of the garden they had, but he loved his meat, potatoes and gravy.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I only eat foods that I wouldn't feel bad about kicking when it was alive - hence, I only eat chicken. I'm not a "treehugger," so I wouldn't fall into that imaginary classification - I only eat poultry because it's a lot healthier for you than red meat. I think both sides of this issue can get awfully judgmental.

For the record, I didn't mean that I considered people who don't eat meat tree-huggers, just the ones that are extremists about it and get all bent out of shape that other people eat it.

Plus I wouldn't ever classify a chicken-kicker as a tree-hugger for fear of how mean spirited they'd be toward somebody that called them a name :wink:

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
BUT his job was WORK, not sitting at a computer or standing in a factory. He carried all the feed for hogs cattle chickens by hand in 5 gallon buckets. He quit when his
body said enough when he was in his early 80's. Yes he ate his veggies out of the garden they had, but he loved his meat, potatoes and gravy.

I think this is the key. I think you can get away with eating a lot more fat if you are physically working.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I never get lean ground beef. We always get the 80% ground beef and when I get meat from my farmer buddy, the last thing I want is lean meat because it doesn't taste a fraction as well as a good cut of meat with plenty of marbeling. My cholesterol is also lower then average so that isn't a problem either for me or my family.

I'm absolutely not questioning your decision (as I would hope you're not questioning mine). Genetics can have a lot to do in how your body reacts to cholesterol, etc., so I do not doubt that red meat is just fine for you. I'm just going off of certain members of the medical community for my personal choices (there is probably conflicting data):

Red Alert on Red Meat - TIME

Obviously the key is moderation in all things.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Speaking of meat, has anyone else ever had Spanish "hung" meat? Basically, they coat the meat with some kind of coating and hang it, outdoors, and let it "air cure".

All I've had so far is the ham, and it is friggin' outstanding. It's illegal to import or possess in the US, but over here in Europe, you can buy it everywhere.

jjl

Apr 11, 2006
If God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't of made them so tasty.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Speaking of meat, has anyone else ever had Spanish "hung" meat? Basically, they coat the meat with some kind of coating and hang it, outdoors, and let it "air cure".

All I've had so far is the ham, and it is friggin' outstanding. It's illegal to import or possess in the US, but over here in Europe, you can buy it everywhere.

The Spanish air cured ham (serrano?) was very good.
My cardiologist put ham on my forbidden list!
For that matter all cured meats are now forbidden. :no:

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
The Spanish air cured ham (serrano?) was very good.
My cardiologist put ham on my forbidden list!
For that matter all cured meats are now forbidden. :no:

Actually, all the jamon is delicious:

Jamon Iberico

Jamon Serrano

And then there is the stuff from Cadiz, I forget it's name.

Of course then, there is the Chorizo...

I don't know your level of fitness or health, but I'm down to 12% body fat right now; used to be borderline obese. Losing the weight and getting in shape means my doc gets to STFU about what I eat. I did it by just eating smaller amounts of the stuff I like, while exercizing regularly.

It's not what you eat, it's how much, versus how much you burn....

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Redrum?

Seriously, shouldn't we all just have bacon sandwiches every meal every day?

You'd need something to wash that down.

Homer: As long as you live in my house you will live by my rules. Now boy, butter up that bacon.

Bart: But dad..

Homer: Do it..

<Bart butters his bacon >

Homer: Now Bacon that sausage.

Bart: But dad, my heart hurts.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

I think I had it when I visited Spain. It tasted great, but it a little strange to see the hanging meats.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I don't know your level of fitness or health, but I'm down to 12% body fat right now; used to be borderline obese. Losing the weight and getting in shape means my doc gets to STFU about what I eat. I did it by just eating smaller amounts of the stuff I like, while exercizing regularly.

It's not what you eat, it's how much, versus how much you burn....

What you say here is 100% Correct. All the so called "experts" tell us all the foods that are "bad for us" which can be pure bo-hunk. If you eat more then you burn off by exercising/working, then you can expect your health not to stay perfect. If you don't want to exercise or work hard, or when you can't, then don't eat like you are. Nothing earth shattering here....:biggrin:

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
What you say here is 100% Correct. All the so called "experts" tell us all the foods that are "bad for us" which can be pure bo-hunk. If you eat more then you burn off by exercising/working, then you can expect your health not to stay perfect. If you don't want to exercise or work hard, or when you can't, then don't eat like you are. Nothing earth shattering here....:biggrin:

I celebrated this weekend by having FOUR pieces of pie. Two lingonberry and two fresh cherry.

I had some fresh salami, and the jamon I spoke of earlier, as well as eggs, sausage, buttermilk biscuits, as well as a Bavarian specialty "Butter pretzels" for breakfast. And I have at least one liter of magnificent beer a night.

I also snarf an amazing amount of fresh fruit every day, however.

For my troubles, I get a 130 cholesterol level. I imagine with my exercise level, those are mostly the "good" kind.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron