Meads/Ciders

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you want to try something different, I’d recommend trying out a mead or cider. B. Nektar just came into Iowa in the last 6 months and offer some great options. They also have great names and labeling. On the downside, they are usually a little expensive. I’ve like Zombie Killer, Tuco Style Freakout, and Stupid man suit. I didn’t love The Dude’s Rug but I had to try it.

On the central Iowa scene, I just got back from a place called Buzzed Bee Meadery. They have VERY limited hours but it’s a cool place to check out and great people that run it. It’s like a wine tasting place where they serve you free samples of everything they have. The location is out in the country about 40 minutes from Des Moines in Melbourne.

Just be warned that a lot of the meads run 12%+ but the ciders are usually 1/2 that.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Buzzed Bee is great. I like their jalapeño mead and the cinnamon one.

Madison county cidary is the best.

• Informative
Reactions: dmclone

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Arizona has one of the top rated Meaderies in the world. Superstion Meadery. They ship to 30ish states and I think Iowa is one of them. They make a peanut butter & jelly mead that is out of this world. It honestly tastes like a liquid pb&j sandwich. They also make a blueberry cider that is the highest rated hard cider in the world. Worth trying if you have the money to spend on it.

http://www.superstitionmeadery.com/

• Informative
Reactions: dmclone

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
you never, ever drink mead until after dark. Thant will make s a short night if you start early.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I gave a friend of mine a great big Ale horn and a bottle of this stuff, this past Christmas
dansk_mjod_viking_blod__29031.1525667019.jpg

He was not disappointed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have a buddy who makes his own beer and his wife keeps bees so it was inevitable that he would eventually take some of her honey and make mead. He gave me a 6 pack of it and it was awesome.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron