McKnight leaving for Houston

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I've heard all over this board how amazing this guy is. Then I watch us get pushed all over the field by 1AA teams and hit with more than our fair share of injuries year after year. I'm happy to see a change here, add me to the good riddance club.

He did not, nor could not, recruit a single athlete he was asked to build. Raw material is important...

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
As a strength coach with a master's degree in exercise science, I can say that Yancey is a great coach.Being an ISU grad, I have gone back and watched some workouts and picked his brain. He knows his stuff and he knows how to coach and motivate each athlete. I have watched Jed Smith's workouts at UNI and I have a transfer that I coach from UNI....very very very unimpressed with everything I have seen from him. I had an assistant turn down a job at NDSU because he was unimpressed with Kramer. Coach Kramer had to ask him what some exercises on his sample workout were....it was basic stuff like goblet squats and t spine rotation that every strength coach should be familiar with. Bottom line is there are great and bad coaches and strength coaches at every level. Talent is the biggest factor in winning games. As strength coaches we spend 14+ hours a day training athletes; balancing between prep work (glute activation, hip mobility, t spine mobility etc), plyometrics, explosive triple extension movements, squats, single leg work, posterior chain work, core stabilization, linear and lateral speed development, educating guys on supplements etc. Always reevaluating your balance and trying to do it within the allotted number of hours. And everyone always has all the answers for what you need to be doing more of and less of. My prediction is that Herman and Yancey end up at a high profile school in a few years and are competing for championships.
That's great...and where do you coach at? So easy to rip strength coaches at schools like UNI and NDSU and claim that they don't know their stuff and you do...on an anonymous message board.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
As a strength coach with a master's degree in exercise science, I can say that Yancey is a great coach.Being an ISU grad, I have gone back and watched some workouts and picked his brain. He knows his stuff and he knows how to coach and motivate each athlete. I have watched Jed Smith's workouts at UNI and I have a transfer that I coach from UNI....very very very unimpressed with everything I have seen from him. I had an assistant turn down a job at NDSU because he was unimpressed with Kramer. Coach Kramer had to ask him what some exercises on his sample workout were....it was basic stuff like goblet squats and t spine rotation that every strength coach should be familiar with. Bottom line is there are great and bad coaches and strength coaches at every level. Talent is the biggest factor in winning games. As strength coaches we spend 14+ hours a day training athletes; balancing between prep work (glute activation, hip mobility, t spine mobility etc), plyometrics, explosive triple extension movements, squats, single leg work, posterior chain work, core stabilization, linear and lateral speed development, educating guys on supplements etc. Always reevaluating your balance and trying to do it within the allotted number of hours. And everyone always has all the answers for what you need to be doing more of and less of. My prediction is that Herman and Yancey end up at a high profile school in a few years and are competing for championships.

You actually seem to speak with a modicum of experience and FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. I miss the uninformed posters as they reinforce my negative attitude. :rolleyes:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
He did not, nor could not, recruit a single athlete he was asked to build. Raw material is important...
Very true - and there are TONS of effective strength coaches out there, those that get their athletes to progress both in functional strength and flexibility. If Oyster or Anthony are two of those, and they're sticking around, fine. We need to run the ball.

isubucky72

Apr 10, 2006
Iowa
That's great...and where do you coach at? So easy to rip strength coaches at schools like UNI and NDSU and claim that they don't know their stuff and you do...on an anonymous message board.

Classic....doesn't support whatever you want to believe so bash the guy who works in the field because he is being "anonymous" just like all of us.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Classic....doesn't support whatever you want to believe so bash the guy who works in the field because he is being "anonymous" just like all of us.
Claiming you know more than Jed Smith, a nationally-known strength coach currently at an top-level FCS school, and listing your "qualifications" without identifying yourself, well, sorry, don't buy it.
But for the rest of you who know nothing about the weights and are just impressed by his vocabulary...that's great.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
And UNI and NDSU have both been more physical than us when they've played us.

UNI hasn't. NDSU maybe. UNI does a lot of things to negate their physical disadvantage up front. I wouldn't say we lost either game because we were less physically able. We lost both games on defense because we couldn't play disciplined at all. Offensively, like every other game we couldn't run the damn ball because our targeting was pretty bad and we had a freshman LT or RT.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

What's your name and qualifications?

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Thread is tldr
I'm guessing people are bashing Mcknight for either leaving or not being good at his job. Not unlike when Herman left and almost everyone applauded his departure. The problem is the grass is greener at Houstons football program than ISU, good luck to him, he played the hand he was dealt.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Sorry you missed my entire point. I'm not the one anonymously claiming that I know more than Jed Smith and Jim Kramer, and that they are ignorant. What BS.

If you knew his name and where he coached would it make you believe him? Highly doubtful.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Sorry you missed my entire point. I'm not the one anonymously claiming that I know more than Jed Smith and Jim Kramer, and that they are ignorant. What BS.

On an anonymous message board you sometimes have to just put faith on which posters are believable. Kc clone kicks your butt on being believable although your attacks were noted by a few as being hateful. Nobody can take THAT away from you.

kc_clone

Apr 16, 2006

My point was not that they are terrible strength coaches. My point is that being a coach at a high profile school doesnt mean you are good. You have to have connections first off. I interned at ISU back in the day and have been in the SEC as well as coaching at the highest professional level. I have seen great coaches and terrible coaches at every level. The best coach I have ever seen was my high school baseball coach. I have coached with guys that got their job because they played in the NFL and no other reason and they were terrible coaches. I know Jed Smith squats his guys 4 days a week in season and every workout he does they train at or above 90% of their 1 rep max. I am not a fan of bashing other people....but he lifts his guys into the ground and they do very little speed work and mobility. But he is doing what he thinks is best for them and that is great. It is different than my philosophy. Training smart is sometimes better than training hard!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron