McKnight leaving for Houston

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Like what? The game in the trenches is a series of helmet-on-helmet battles. Physically.

One thing UNI does to overcome their physical disadvantage is the DL uses hard slants that disrupt blocking schemes and essentially creates a mess, this is 7th grade football gimmick stuff. They have also in the past had the DL submarine OL in order to create a mess on the line, once again 7th grade gimmick defense stuff.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
One thing UNI does to overcome their physical disadvantage is the DL uses hard slants that disrupt blocking schemes and essentially creates a mess, this is 7th grade football gimmick stuff. They have also in the past had the DL submarine OL in order to create a mess on the line, once again 7th grade gimmick defense stuff.

Begs the question... why does it work against ISU?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Begs the question... why does it work against ISU?

I think it begs more to the question of why do they only implore this strategy against ISU. They play normal DL assignments when they play their FCS competition but go to the gimmick defense against ISU.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I think it begs more to the question of why do they only implore this strategy against ISU. They play normal DL assignments when they play their FCS competition but go to the gimmick defense against ISU.

Super Bowl.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I bet they do that because they are strong like bull.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We better not just promote within. I'm sick of all the injuries and seeing our guys get manhandled. Time for a change IMO. Need new blood.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Because they beat us when they do?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My point was not that they are terrible strength coaches. My point is that being a coach at a high profile school doesnt mean you are good. You have to have connections first off. I interned at ISU back in the day and have been in the SEC as well as coaching at the highest professional level. I have seen great coaches and terrible coaches at every level. The best coach I have ever seen was my high school baseball coach. I have coached with guys that got their job because they played in the NFL and no other reason and they were terrible coaches. I know Jed Smith squats his guys 4 days a week in season and every workout he does they train at or above 90% of their 1 rep max. I am not a fan of bashing other people....but he lifts his guys into the ground and they do very little speed work and mobility. But he is doing what he thinks is best for them and that is great. It is different than my philosophy. Training smart is sometimes better than training hard!

How much of this at UNI is actually the result of having players like David Johnson who was a lifting beast?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Rocky did much better when he and Mickey were working together.

That's false, Apollo was able to change Rocky in a way that Mickey never could. Made him a faster, quicker and more explosive athlete, honestly while being cool and all Mickey and the style he asked Rocky to fight with probably couldn't have overcome Clubber Lang, granted Mickey laying in the lockerroom, forcing Paulie, who didn't know **** about boxing, to be a defacto manager didn't help either.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
UNI hasn't. NDSU maybe. UNI does a lot of things to negate their physical disadvantage up front. I wouldn't say we lost either game because we were less physically able. We lost both games on defense because we couldn't play disciplined at all. Offensively, like every other game we couldn't run the damn ball because our targeting was pretty bad and we had a freshman LT or RT.

I stopped reading after your first sentence. NDSU absolutely mauled us.

People are complaining that our linemen are too small? Disagree. Often our linemen look like the guys back in my hometown who spend half their life sitting at the bar.

There are a lot of good strength coaches. Results seemed mixed with this one. Looking forward to a fresh perspective even if it is just a hire from within.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
Oh well, at least we should be able to attract a well qualified SC with the facilities we have now.
We could struggle to fill the position, It is potentially a 1 year job, Clayton Oyster would be smart not to take it if he has a job with Yancy in Houston. We may not be done seeing coaches leave either. Mangino is a potential candidate for a big job

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
It's called football, just look at this article about Oregon, http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/30/oregon-ducks-rose-bowl-injuries. This is before the played in the Rose Bowl and lost a couple of key guys. Also Ohio State is winning the National Championship right now with their 3rd string QB.

There was a graphic right before the game showing how Oregon was missing six key guys, two with ACLs and another with a knee/hamstring issue. I guess their S&C guy sucks too.