McKay and Nader invited to the Portsmouth Invitational

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Good for them. I hope they show enough to at least land on a summer league roster. It might not lead to an NBA job, but it allows them to show their game off for overseas scouts. I expect both of them along with Georges to be playing professionally somewhere this time next year.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
McKay will find somewhere. If he has his head on straight, a lot of teams could use a tall/long/athletic rim runner.

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
Nader’s game is absolutely surging now! He is tough as nails and incredibly gifted athletically. If he continues on his current path during the Big 12 tournament and in postseason play, I expect he will provide a career jam packed with highlight reels!

McThree

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2015
Is that a thing Georges would go to, or not?

Doubtful. Portsmouth is usually for less heralded guys trying to get summer league invites. I'd imagine Georges will get summer league invites if he doesn't get drafted.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Nader is a similar size and skill set to BDJ. He has flourished this year under Coach Prohm, who seems to have a ton of confidence in him. I think he has a very good shot.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I've got people close to Georges who have told me he doesn't plan on playing basketball after Iowa State. Wants to either pursue a coaching career or a comedic career.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
My impression is it is a place where players who want extra attention go, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the most notable guy to skip it last year was Frank Kaminsky, but by that point he was a guaranteed lottery pick and he had nothing to prove. For Georges, if he was invited I'd be very surprised if he had declined. But it would be odd for him to not be invited if Jameel and Nader both were.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Nader is a similar size and skill set to BDJ. He has flourished this year under Coach Prohm, who seems to have a ton of confidence in him. I think he has a very good shot.

I was gonna say, if BDJ can contribute to an NBA team, Nader and McKay sure can. They just have to find a good spot.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Is that a thing Georges would go to, or not?

Doubtful. Portsmouth is usually for less heralded guys trying to get summer league invites. I'd imagine Georges will get summer league invites if he doesn't get drafted.

If Georges was a projected lottery pick or surefire first rounder, I'd agree. But for a guy perceived as a tweener at the next level, I'd think he would want to use it to try and solidify his draft status.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I've got people close to Georges who have told me he doesn't plan on playing basketball after Iowa State. Wants to either pursue a coaching career or a comedic career.

He even said last night the NBA was his goal and he wants to play basketball for a long time after ISU

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

For some reason I trust you about as much as I trust Fitzy.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014

He could be all three for the Globetrotter's some day.