MLB: Matt Holliday is a dirty player

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
He touched the bag that means it's legal. No one in the cubs dugout acted extremely upset except for the runs scored. No one thru at his head during his next at bat. No umpire warning of any kind. The cubs are 20 something games under .500 ......... face it that's the REAL issue.

Being 20 games under .500 has nothing to do with this.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Holiday is going to get hit tomorrow. Once the players get back to their hotel rooms and watch that they aren't going to be happy. Slide was really late and was no where close to 2nd base. I'm shocked a MLB ump would blow such an easy call (no pirate needed).

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
Being 20 games under .500 has nothing to do with this.
Maybe not but being in the pennant race does. Do what you you can, within the rules, to win --------- just what he did. You don't agree? Where are the rulings and fines. well? Get over it, the cubs already have.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
Holiday is going to get hit tomorrow. Once the players get back to their hotel rooms and watch that they aren't going to be happy. Slide was really late and was no where close to 2nd base. I'm shocked a MLB ump would blow such an easy call (no pirate needed).
Can we get a line on this on the betting threads................should be fun????

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
He touched the bag that means it's legal. No one in the cubs dugout acted extremely upset except for the runs scored. No one thru at his head during his next at bat. No umpire warning of any kind. The cubs are 20 something games under .500 ......... face it that's the REAL issue.

I don't know what game you were watching but he clearly didn't touch the bag and Quade got ejected arguing the call.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Maybe not but being in the pennant race does. Do what you you can, within the rules, to win --------- just what he did. You don't agree? Where are the rulings and fines. well? Get over it, the cubs already have.

You expect there to be fines 2 hours after the game?

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Talk about a late slide, he didn't even start it until he got to the base. He easily could of broken Castro's ankle.

Of course, if it was my guy who did it, well, that's just baseball.

Very hard to find a fan of some winning team whining about what COULD happen.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Ok you win. :twitcy:

Well? Fines didn't come out this fast even for the brawl between St. Louis and Cincy. I'm not saying there will be, but just because there hasn't been yet doesn't mean there won't be.

It wasn't dirty, but it was interference.

Of course, if it was my guy who did it, well, that's just baseball.

Very hard to find a fan of some winning team whining about what COULD happen.

I'm sure that if Pujols were involved in a situation like that where a borderline "dirty" play COULD have gotten him hurt, Cardinal fans would be totally content :rolleyes::skeptical:

Castro is our best player. When a play like that could have easily put him out for weeks, we're not going to be too thrilled.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
Well? Fines didn't come out this fast even for the brawl between St. Louis and Cincy. I'm not saying there will be, but just because there hasn't been yet doesn't mean there won't be.

It wasn't dirty, but it was interference.

I'm sure that if Pujols were involved in a situation like that where a borderline "dirty" play COULD have gotten him hurt, Cardinal fans would be totally content :rolleyes::skeptical:

Castro is our best player. When a play like that could have easily put him out for weeks, we're not going to be too thrilled.
Fair enough -- when there is a fine -- I will apologize

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Fair enough -- when there is a fine -- I will apologize

I don't think there will be, nor should there be. Maybe there will be a release saying that the call was missed, but it wouldn't get fined unless it was deemed to be a dirty play. Good baseball play, you have to try and break up the play.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I don't think there will be a fine either but I'm saying if there was one it wouldn't be handed out for a couple days.

cyko42

Feb 7, 2007
Decatur, IL
I don't know what game you were watching but he clearly didn't touch the bag and Quade got ejected arguing the call.

Since interference is a judgement call in the MLB its the umpire's judgement to decide if a runner interferes with a player trying to make a play. The way I always understood is it is only called if you can not touch the bag when you make the slide. Holiday could of touch the bag if he would of dropped his hand (from the replays I saw, and what Tim Macarver pointed out). I've never heard anyone say you have to actually touch the bag for it not to be interference.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Since interference is a judgement call in the MLB its the umpire's judgement to decide if a runner interferes with a player trying to make a play. The way I always understood is it is only called if you can not touch the bag when you make the slide. Holiday could of touch the bag if he would of dropped his hand (from the replays I saw, and what Tim Macarver pointed out). I've never heard anyone say you have to actually touch the bag for it not to be interference.

No way he could touch the bag unless he had a Go Go Gadget Arm.

go-go-gadget-mag-glass.jpg

cyko42

Feb 7, 2007
Decatur, IL
He came in high enough with his spikes because Castro's sock was ripped because of them.

Then every slide to break up a double play is dirty. The rip they showed was right at the ankle/ shin. Isn't that basically where your feet end up if you slide sideways?
It could of been a lot worse if he through his feet at say his thigh or higher. Then I would agree it's dirty.
I still go back to if you think its dirty, Hit him. I won't complain (unless you go for his head) that's your revenge, and really if you don't do it in his next at bat isn't it kind of worthless? Why wait a full 24 hours?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Then every slide to break up a double play is dirty. The rip they showed was right at the ankle/ shin. Isn't that basically where your feet end up if you slide sideways?
It could of been a lot worse if he through his feet at say his thigh or higher. Then I would agree it's dirty.
I still go back to if you think its dirty, Hit him. I won't complain (unless you go for his head) that's your revenge, and really if you don't do it in his next at bat isn't it kind of worthless? Why wait a full 24 hours?

I will be shocked if he doesn't get hit tomorrow. Not sure what the tv situation is like in St Louis ... maybe the players didn't see a replay until after the game???

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Your opinion, mine is that he could of (through Cardinal Color glasses). Of course the Umpire and the announcer agree with me....

Ump blows the call and then throws out Quade for no reason. If Holiday doesn't get plunked tomorrow I will admit I'm wrong.