MLB: Matt Holliday is a dirty player

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Oh please. Dirty play and dirty player are two very different things. The Cubs are ******* attrocious, stop watching if all you want to do is *****.

There's a difference between b*tching about a no-call on a play like that, and b*tching about our sh*tty play in general. I still watch this terrible team, and that play was huge. Scored two runs, when the inning should have been over, and then Samardzija does his thing.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Talk about a late slide, he didn't even start it until he got to the base. He easily could of broken Castro's ankle.

<rant>
I bet if he was sliding into home he'd slide around the plate and try slapping the plate with his hand.

I don't get why players feel the need to slide into the 2b/ss but avoid contact with the catcher. If the play is close, they'll most likely be out trying the swipe slide.

</rant>

cyko42

Feb 7, 2007
Decatur, IL
I am a cards fan. So all the cubs fan will probably disagree entirely. But while late it wasn't 'dirty' he didn't come in with a high leg or spikes up. That's an opinion its up to each person to decide what is dirty, what is not. If the cubs thought it was dirty they should of settled it in his next at bat (which I was expecting), but didn't. I guess if its not worth drilling a guy in a 10-5 game when your 22 games under .500 probably not 'dirty'. Also its a judgement call but if you can touch the base its not interference.

dmg89

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2008
West Des Moines
I am a cards fan. So all the cubs fan will probably disagree entirely. But while late it wasn't 'dirty' he didn't come in with a high leg or spikes up. That's an opinion its up to each person to decide what is dirty, what is not. If the cubs thought it was dirty they should of settled it in his next at bat (which I was expecting), but didn't. I guess if its not worth drilling a guy in a 10-5 game when your 22 games under .500 probably not 'dirty'. Also its a judgement call but if you can touch the base its not interference.

He came in high enough with his spikes because Castro's sock was ripped because of them.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
<rant>
I bet if he was sliding into home he'd slide around the plate and try slapping the plate with his hand.

I don't get why players feel the need to slide into the 2b/ss but avoid contact with the catcher. If the play is close, they'll most likely be out trying the swipe slide.

</rant>

Guys do that to break up double plays. When you're going home, the ONLY objective is to score. On a double play ball, if the runner from first knows he is going to be out, he will try to break up the play. But going home, there is no such reason to SEEK contact.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Guys do that to break up double plays. When you're going home, the ONLY objective is to score. On a double play ball, if the runner from first knows he is going to be out, he will try to break up the play. But going home, there is no such reason to SEEK contact.

Unless the catcher is waiting for you with the ball and your trying to knock it out of his glove.

Also, anyone intentionally trying to break up the DP should be called out if they completely miss the bag.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How about next time he slides like that Castro just throws the ball right at his face? Looks to me like his head is jersey letter high at the 2nd base point.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Unless the catcher is waiting for you with the ball and your trying to knock it out of his glove.

Also, anyone intentionally trying to break up the DP should be called out if they completely miss the bag.

With the ball already at the plate, you have little chance to score either way. Going around is less likely to get yourself hurt.

That's already in the rules. That would be interference.

Last edited:

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
Typical Cubs fan.

It was interference, but not dirty.
This is the only thing they can dredge up to talk about come late July. TOMORROW we sweep for the second cubs series in a row. He touched the bag so it CANNOT be interference. It was good hard baseball by a player on a team that matters in the race.

Last edited:

ICclone23

Nov 9, 2008
Iowa City
As a Cubs fan, that was a good baseball play. You have to try that in that situation. Was it interference? Yes, IMO. But not dirty.

This is correct, it was blatant interference, he was no where near the base path. That said it wasnt dirty he didnt go spikes up, or take out his ankle.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
As a Cubs fan, that was a good baseball play. You have to try that in that situation. Was it interference? Yes, IMO. But not dirty.

This is correct, it was blatant interference, he was no where near the base path. That said it wasnt dirty he didnt go spikes up, or take out his ankle.

I agree with the interference call,he doesn't even try to touch the bag but your wrong about not going in spikes up. Watch the replay, he clearly takes out Castro's ankle.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CHC@STL: Freese ties the game with an RBI grounder - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
<rant>

</rant>

You serious, Clark?

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
That's not the issue.
He touched the bag that means it's legal. No one in the cubs dugout acted extremely upset except for the runs scored. No one thru at his head during his next at bat. No umpire warning of any kind. The cubs are 20 something games under .500 ......... face it that's the REAL issue.

Reactions: CyDude16

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
This is the only thing they can dredge up to talk about come late July. TOMORROW we sweep for the second cubs series in a row. He touched the bag so it CANNOT be interference. It was good hard baseball by a player on a team that matters in the race.

Except that he didn't touch the bag because he was too far away from it to touch and he ended up ten feet past the base.

Interference? Definitely. Dirty? Not so sure

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
The one piece missing for me in this dream season is that the White Sox are not in 1st place. That would be perfection. White sox vs Cardinals in the WS would be Heaven.

ICclone23

Nov 9, 2008
Iowa City
Don't have to slide within the baseline. Get basically an arm's length to slide to either side of the bag.

Arms length??? Have you seen this replay, he is not within an arms length of second base, he didnt slide anywhere near the base, just went straight for Castro.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron