Matt Fannon (Iowa state womens soccer coach) accused of body shaming/ verbal abuse

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I'd be curious if that is all she said. I wouldn't put it past any reporter to pull out the most unflattering part of a response to take it out of context a bit.
Yeah that seems odd that that is all she said. Seems like something was left out.

Reactions: VeloClone

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
not really.

they took an action.
as a beat reporter he followed up for comment (normal)
they responded fairly unprofessionally (abnormal both in general and for this AD)
he reported their response (normal)
Not that I'm defending Fannon for his actions, but based on what I heard Tuesday, Birch burned some bridges in the AD so I'm not surprised to Callie Sanders cold response.

When he initially reached out to Iowa State, Iowa State told him they would comment, but needed to speak with Fannon and their lawyers first. Birch put in his story that Iowa State declined to comment and pushed the article out anyways.

Last edited:

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Not that I'm defending Fannon for his actions, but based on what Skip told me Tuesday, Birch burned some bridges in the AD so I'm not surprised to Callie Sanders cold response.

When he initially reached out to Iowa State, Iowa State told him they would comment, but needed to speak with Fannon and their lawyers first. Birch put in his story that Iowa State declined to comment and pushed the article out anyways.
That's pretty ******

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not that I'm defending Fannon for his actions, but based on what Skip told me Tuesday, Birch burned some bridges in the AD so I'm not surprised to Callie Sanders cold response.

Good to know. That indeed seems like something he should have waited for, within reason of course.

Reactions: GMackey32

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

Yeah I would classify this as reckless and pretty unfair of Birch.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I'm gonna go ahead and trust JP on this one as usual.
Oh please, if JP fired him, you guys would be swarming saying how bad he's been with coaches and now he's becoming soft and woke and all this. All politics, no substance -- hence the victory laps today.

Allegations aside, I want to know what exactly what Fannon's record and on-field performances at ISU warrant a long extension. Dude's got a 6-figure salary on top of that.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Not exactly professional responses from the AD here. Doesn't bode well for "they made an informed decision" and instead smells more like stubbornness and digging their heels in, even if it meant retaining a coach whose record certainly didn't justify an extension.
You wanted this story to be true so badly, and you’re an extremely disgusting person for that. Cope and seethe.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I'd be curious if that is all she said. I wouldn't put it past any reporter to pull out the most unflattering part of a response to take it out of context a bit.
I’m guessing he’s probably emailed her at least 3 times per day for the last few weeks and she’s had enough of it.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Could it be possible that the contract added years, but also lowered the buyout/contained clauses if these allegations have merit? That would seem like a prudent move by JP (even though I don't know if Fannon has done enough to deserve an extension anyway)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You wanted this story to be true so badly, and you’re an extremely disgusting person for that. Cope and seethe.

I’m sorry that this is so deflating for you.

You two are the most disgusting posters on this board, so any time I'm on the opposite side as both of you I know i'm in a good place.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Could it be possible that the contract added years, but also lowered the buyout/contained clauses if these allegations have merit? That would seem like a prudent move by JP (even though I don't know if Fannon has done enough to deserve an extension anyway)

I sort of doubt soccer coaches have much of a buyout any way.