Matt Campbell "Grind to Greatness" video

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
Absolutely horrible video. Not all publicity is good publicity. And that coaching record/stat sheet/whatever it's called is even more open to ridicule. I believe we were all laughing at Tim Brewster when he released the same type of thing, now we appear to have Timmy Brewster Jr.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
ok people yes it's not the greatest video, but it's not that terrible. Yes it's bad enough for others to mock us, but it's not like we lose anything out of it. Every university puts out sub-par videos, it'll be forgotten by those who want to mock it before the end of the year, and will serve a decent purpose for what they were intending for it.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I get the intent, but why do it? We're being mocked and laughed at for it. Can't they just work around the clock to get the job done without an embarrassing video to prove it? Let the results on the field do the talking.

And is that infographic on CMC supposed to be a joke or spoof too? Include numbers from his DIII playing and assistant coaching days? Really? I expect better from our AD.

Where's this infographic?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Don't let the "any publicity is good publicity" way of thinking fool you. It'd be nice to be in front of peoples' minds for what we do on the field for a change. But stuff like this has people laughing AT us, not WITH us. Big difference when you're trying to be the topic of conversation.

WGAF? You're being way too sensitive to what idiot hok fans think. It was supposed to be funny and it was.

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
I actually kind of liked the video. It was made in fun, and if other people make fun of it, so be it. It gets people talking about Iowa State.

I'd rather have the staff put out bad videos than to not try at all and let Iowa State fall into even more obscurity. At least they're trying.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Don't let the "any publicity is good publicity" way of thinking fool you. It'd be nice to be in front of peoples' minds for what we do on the field for a change. But stuff like this has people laughing AT us, not WITH us. Big difference when you're trying to be the topic of conversation.

This is the exact same loser mentality of the Rhoads era. "we get our publicity on the field"...except that means that on top of losing during the football season, you're also losing as other programs are keeping themselves in the front of recruits' minds year round. Yes, they'll have a miss here and there, but it's better to try and miss once in a while than to sit stoically by yourself with your dignity fully in tact and say how you're doing it your way and keep losing.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Absolutely horrible video. Not all publicity is good publicity. And that coaching record/stat sheet/whatever it's called is even more open to ridicule. I believe we were all laughing at Tim Brewster when he released the same type of thing, now we appear to have Timmy Brewster Jr.

This is goofy but that's the intent. I don't particularly care about it.

The tweet with his "record" on it is far worse. So disingenuous that it's flat out embarrassing.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
This is great. I'm sure it wasn't made in an attempt to be funny, but that is quite hilarious nonetheless. Good to know Coach Campbell can squat 135 pounds. What an animal.

Not sure if you're serious. This is an embarrassingly bad video. On all levels. The fact that someone saw the finished product and thought it was worth releasing is almost funnier than the video itself.

I've seen far worse stuff come out of Iowa City than that video. You know, you should go to hawkeye report and comment about how embarassing they are to your precious university you didn't attend.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Campbell is doing great so far, so he can keep doing whatever he wants. I wonder if it's his personality like this that so many recruits love him and want to come play for him now.

I haven't been on the boards much since he was hired. What's been so great about what he's done so far? From what little I've seen his biggest accomplishments have been landing a bunch of low rated recruits where ISU is their best offer, many of whom are JUCOs (all very much like CPR's recruiting) and rehired his Toledo staff. Now, it might all work out and if it does that would be great but from what I'm seeing it's all been rather ho-hum. Maybe I'm too much in "wait and see" mode but I'm not seeing a lot of big improvement.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Where's this infographic?

attachment.php

Attachments

• CWx9LpZUYAAFzzH.jpg
    CWx9LpZUYAAFzzH.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,150

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
I haven't been on the boards much since he was hired. What's been so great about what he's done so far? From what little I've seen his biggest accomplishments have been landing a bunch of low rated recruits where ISU is their best offer, many of whom are JUCOs (all very much like CPR's recruiting) and rehired his Toledo staff. Now, it might all work out and if it does that would be great but from what I'm seeing it's all been rather ho-hum. Maybe I'm too much in "wait and see" mode but I'm not seeing a lot of big improvement.

Rhoads staff was about 1 recruit away from completing the class, with a recruiting ranking of 92. Since Campbell has come in he has only kept a handful of those guys (most of which are the "no P5 offer" kids) and rebuilt the class back to the number Rhoads staff was at (15). His class ranking is now 69.

I hope I don't need to explain to you how big of an improvement that is. Additionally, Campbell has come in and not once made an excuse for what Iowa State isn't, and has only overly emphasized all the things that it IS. The exact opposite was true of Rhoads. All you ever heard Rhoads and staff talk about was, "Well ISU is hard, we can't get good kids, its cold here, blah blah blah." They were a bunch of losers and whiny crybabies. That trickled down to the players. If nothing else, that mentality being gone will help tremendously.

Last edited:

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I guess some people just like to ***** about everything. I thought it was a fun little video that is meant to be just that - fun. Also, big fan of the Sopranos tune they used as background music....

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Rhoads staff was about 1 recruit away from completing the class, with a recruiting ranking of 92. Since Campbell has come in he has only kept a handful of those guys (most of which are the "no P5 offer" kids) and rebuilt the class back to the number Rhoads staff was at (15). His class ranking is now 69.

I hope I don't need to explain to you how big of an improvement that is. Additionally, Campbell has come in and not once made an excuse for what Iowa State isn't, and has only overly emphasized all the things that it IS. The exact opposite was true of Rhoads. All you ever heard Rhoads and staff talk about was, "Well ISU is hard, we can't get good kids, its cold here, blah blah blah." They were a bunch of losers and whiny crybabies. That trickled down to the players. If nothing else, that mentality being gone will help tremendously.

When did rhoads say any of that?

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
When did rhoads say any of that?

One of his last press conferences after Texas. "If I asked those guys to come, they wouldn't come." "We shouldn't have won that game." "This is a tough place to recruit."

I mean that is just 1 press conference showcasing his poor attitude about the school, players, etc. I'm sure if you go through 7 years worth of press conferences you will find plenty more examples of this kind of ****** attitude with plenty more finger pointing and excuse making.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Target audience being? All those looking to be their own boss?

I almost want to think some Spark owner bought some advertising in 2015 and we forgot to put it up. So had to do something before end of year to avoid repayment.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I don't get the criticism from both Hawk and Clone fans. Anytime I see something new like the coaches meeting room or the Cesna Turboprop I like it. Catchy tune.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
What's wrong with the info graphic? Just show he comes from a history of winning both as a player and a coach. Data on it is accurate and correct.

The he only thing embarrassing about any of this is those that chose to nitpick.